Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
I'd say that there are disproportionately many anime fans in this community. Are anime fans more likely to be suicidal or are suicidal people more likely to enjoy anime? Or both? Or is it just a coincidence?

Reactions: olieolieoxenfree, Deleted member 4993, TheSoulless and 2 others
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I'd say that there are disproportionately many anime fans in this community. Are anime fans more likely to be suicidal or are suicidal people more likely to enjoy anime? Or both? Or is it just a coincidence?
Could just be a coincidence. I'm from the Smash community and their number of anime fans makes the number in this community seems like a really tiny minority.

Reactions: Deleted member 4993, TheSoulless, Brick In The Wall and 1 other person
Lupgevif

Lupgevif

Jul 23, 2020
Coincidence. Anime is easy to be accessed on the internet, and often provide aesthetically pleasing profile pictures (just like my case, and I haven't watched anime for some years now).

Reactions: disabledandhopeless, Deleted member 4993, Deleted member 17331 and 5 others
Sprite_Geist

Sprite_Geist

NULL
May 27, 2020
It could be that it is becoming more popular or mainstream in some parts of the world, so more people watch it overall.

Last edited:
Reactions: disabledandhopeless, Deleted member 4993, Deleted member 17331 and 2 others
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
Also if you think about it, anime comes from Japan which is a culture that accepts suicide relatively more than others in the developed world so maybe that could be the cause for this correlation.

Reactions: FailureGirl, olieolieoxenfree, disabledandhopeless and 5 others
GrumpyFrog

GrumpyFrog

Exhausted
Aug 23, 2020
I think it might have things to do with many of us falling in one age bracket. Anime experienced a boom of mainstream popularity when most of us were teenagers and our interests were shaped. Many other online communities are either "densely populated" by current teenagers that are chasing current trends (mainstream anime popularity is kind of a thing of the past by now), some are conversely frequented by older people that were already "too old" when the anime boom happened.

Plus anime, as well as videogames, is a popular source of escapism and provides a source of solitary entertainment, and with many of us seeking an escape and not being very social, it's a popular option.

Reactions: tearful, Dr Iron Arc, Deleted member 4993 and 1 other person
Eren

Eren

Si hablas español mándame un MP
Oct 27, 2018
Anime is very popular in some parts of the world, as are video games. It is also usually a refuge and a way to escape

Reactions: FailureGirl, Skathon, GrumpyFrog and 2 others
D

dilapidatedMind

Student
Oct 1, 2020
Because American shows are empty trash

Reactions: FailureGirl, WrongPlaceWrongTime, Sensei and 1 other person