• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

M

mossyfox

Student
Aug 4, 2021
It sounds like the opposite would be true, there should be more grip to the rope, no?

M

MyStateKilledMe

Arcanist
Apr 23, 2020
The purpose of full-suspension hanging isn't to strangle; that'd be a very prolonged and painful way to die. It's meant to instantly break the neck.

A well-designed full suspension is meant to break the neck, not strangle. During hanging, the rope slides along the neck. Then it hits the cheekbones, which are wider that the neck. But it continues sliding due to gravitational inertia from the falling body. That's when it separates the head from the spine, effectively severing the head and all connected to it: bones, neck muscles blood vessels, nerves, everything. But in order for such slipping to happen, the rope must be slippery. Otherwise, the friction of the rope against the skin will slow it down. Not only will the impact be much lower, the duration of death will be longer. Which is not good when using full suspension CTB.

Historically, when gallows was a common method of execution, it was built high up, requiring the use of a ladder or stairs. The greater the height, the greater the impact on the cheekbones, the faster the death. It fact, doctors even checked the gallows, to make sure it killed humanely.

Look up "gallows" on Wikipedia.

Reactions: siray, OnlyTheWind, NearlyIrrelevantCake and 3 others
M

mossyfox

Student
Aug 4, 2021
So the soap isn't necessary for partial?

M

MyStateKilledMe

Arcanist
Apr 23, 2020
I don't know enough about partial suspension to comment. I just know that it doesn't rely on gravity, so the soap's role in it is unclear.

Reactions: mossyfox
A

Anonymous_A

Arcanist
Oct 4, 2020
Applying soap to the rope allows it to pretty much tighten more easily.
It makes the rope less rigid..I think that's the word. When the wet rope is around yo neck it slides easier pretty much. Reduced friction on the neck too iirc

Tie a knot around your leg (just somewhere random) when you tighten a wet/damp rope it closes easier.

• Hugs
Reactions: CloseFriendofCamus, Silent_cries, MyStateKilledMe and 1 other person
M

MyStateKilledMe

Arcanist
Apr 23, 2020
Tie a knot around your leg (just somewhere random) when you tighten a wet/damp rope it closes easier.
If you tie a knot around your leg or any nonlethal part of your body as an experiment, make sure you have a cutting tool ready. You want to be able to sever the rope if it gets too tight. Otherwise, it could cut off circulation and you could lose a limb, becoming handicapped forever. And the last thing we SS'ers need is more difficulties in life.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: CloseFriendofCamus, willshe777, FailureGirl and 5 others
S

summers

Visionary
Nov 4, 2020
Fun fact, if you ever have to drive a large screw into dense wood, it's much easier if you drag the screw across a bar if soap first :)

Reactions: FailureGirl and MyStateKilledMe
A

Anonymous_A

Arcanist
Oct 4, 2020
Fun fact, if you ever have to drive a large screw into dense wood, it's much easier if you drag the screw across a bar if soap first :)
Even funnier fact, if you ever want to moonwalk across some laminate flooring, its much easier if you soap your feet first ;)

M

mossyfox

Student
Aug 4, 2021
does the screw still grip well after? if that's true I've wasted so much time...

Silent_cries

Silent_cries

I wish I could delete my trauma...
Aug 10, 2021
Tysm for the soap idea, I'll keep that in mind :)

GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
The purpose of full-suspension hanging isn't to strangle; that'd be a very prolonged and painful way to die. It's meant to instantly break the neck.

A well-designed full suspension is meant to break the neck, not strangle. During hanging, the rope slides along the neck. Then it hits the cheekbones, which are wider that the neck. But it continues sliding due to gravitational inertia from the falling body. That's when it separates the head from the spine, effectively severing the head and all connected to it: bones, neck muscles blood vessels, nerves, everything. But in order for such slipping to happen, the rope must be slippery. Otherwise, the friction of the rope against the skin will slow it down. Not only will the impact be much lower, the duration of death will be longer. Which is not good when using full suspension CTB.

Historically, when gallows was a common method of execution, it was built high up, requiring the use of a ladder or stairs. The greater the height, the greater the impact on the cheekbones, the faster the death. It fact, doctors even checked the gallows, to make sure it killed humanely.

You're thinking of long drop "hanging".
I don't know enough about partial suspension to comment. I just know that it doesn't rely on gravity, so the soap's role in it is unclear.
:pfff::pfff::pfff:
If you tie a knot around your leg or any nonlethal part of your body as an experiment, make sure you have a cutting tool ready. You want to be able to sever the rope if it gets too tight. Otherwise, it could cut off circulation and you could lose a limb, becoming handicapped forever. And the last thing we SS'ers need is more difficulties in life.
Or just, you know... pull it back by grabbing the knot.

Reactions: CloseFriendofCamus, My_name_is_Luka and mustard_glass
OnlyTheWind

OnlyTheWind

Serena / Meatball head
Aug 29, 2020

Do you mean short/ long drop hanging? Full suspension is the kind where one steps off a surface with their head through the noose and hangs with both feet off the ground. This has the same end result as partial, by constricting the carotids.

Reactions: CloseFriendofCamus, Worndown, My_name_is_Luka and 1 other person
M

MyStateKilledMe

Arcanist
Apr 23, 2020
Do you mean short/ long drop hanging? Full suspension is the kind where one steps off a surface with their head through the noose and hangs with both feet off the ground.
Yes, I do. I kind of conflated the two. But now that I think about it, they're different. There isn't much dropping in full suspension. It's only as high as most chairs. When I was a kid, I thought about doing what I now know as full-suspension hanging. I did have a rope at home that my parents used for clotheslines. I had chairs, obviously. And I had a ceiling light fixture that I could tie the the rope to. (I didn't know about the soap, though.) Since I was both smart and suicidal as a child, I did the math on how to CTB with those things.

Or just, you know... pull it back by grabbing the knot.
Sometimes that's not possible. The knot is too tight to slip a finger or an object inside it. And you don't have much time until the circulation cutoff damages the leg. Better safe than sorry.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: OnlyTheWind
S

summers

Visionary
Nov 4, 2020
does the screw still grip well after? if that's true I've wasted so much time...
Yes, I built a whole deck off the side of a house using this. It was hundreds of 3" screws, and it's still holding up 15 years later.

• Love
Reactions: mossyfox
OnlyTheWind

OnlyTheWind

Serena / Meatball head
Aug 29, 2020
Yes, I do. I kind of conflated the two. But now that I think about it, they're different. There isn't much dropping in full suspension. It's only as high as most chairs. When I was a kid, I thought about doing what I now know as full-suspension hanging. I did have a rope at home that my parents used for clotheslines. I had chairs, obviously. And I had a ceiling light fixture that I could tie the the rope to. (I didn't know about the soap, though.) Since I was both smart and suicidal as a child, I did the math on how to CTB with those things.

I've always found it interesting how people have instinctively known that hanging leads to death. Even since ancient times.

• Love
Reactions: CloseFriendofCamus, newave3 and MyStateKilledMe
M

MyStateKilledMe

Arcanist
Apr 23, 2020
I've always found it interesting how people have instinctively known that hanging leads to death. Even since ancient times.
That's a brilliant point! Perhaps even semi-educated ancient people drew a logical conclusion: the head is where the brain is, the chest is where the heart and lungs are, and the neck is the single point of failure between the two. (Much like the registry is the single point of failure in Windows.) So if you use a rope to constrict or break the neck, you kill the person.

• Love
Reactions: OnlyTheWind
OnlyTheWind

OnlyTheWind

Serena / Meatball head
Aug 29, 2020
Regarding OP's question; I may be wrong, but isn't soap used to make the knot slide with greater ease? It is certainly not necessary.

That's a brilliant point! Perhaps even semi-educated ancient people drew a logical conclusion: the head is where the brain is, the chest is where the heart and lungs are, and the neck is the single point of failure between the two. (Much like the registry is the single point of failure in Windows.) So if you use a rope to constrict or break the neck, you kill the person.
Thank you, I see how they could come up with the concept from that angle. The compression of the carotids is pretty specific. It would require the understanding that blood is carried to the brain via these arteries and that stopping this flow for a period of time can cause death. Maybe the idea was linked to beheading?

Reactions: newave3
M

MyStateKilledMe

Arcanist
Apr 23, 2020
Thank you, I see how they could come up with the concept from that angle. The compression of the carotids is pretty specific. It would require the understanding that blood is carried to the brain via these arteries and that stopping this flow for a period of time can cause death. Maybe the idea was linked to beheading?
Beheading was developed as a faster, more dignified alternative to hanging/gallows. Because once you cut the head off, the death is almost instant. Throughout much of European history, hanging or more cruel methods were used on commoners, and beheading by sword was used on nobles. France was an outlier in using the guillotine beheading on everyone, regardless of social status, during and after the French Revolution.

In fact, the guillotine was developed by French doctors as a quick, mostly painless method of execution, an idea ahead of its time. The 45-degree blade angle was meant to most effectively sever the head from the body. Even the guillotine operators treated the condemned in a dry, standoffish manner without mockery. Prior to that, executions were meant not only to kill, but to inflict pain and humiliation.

Last edited:
Reactions: OnlyTheWind and WatermelonMel