NodusTollens

NodusTollens

Nov 17, 2020
"Why should I fear death? If I am, death is not. If death is, I am not. Why should I fear that which cannot exist when I do."
- Epicurus

Heard this for the first time today, & it's definitely a thought provoking way of looking at death. What are your thoughts?

——————​

Death was demystified 5 years ago, after a strings attempts. Thinking about dying, while a fantastical thing to imagine, didn't bring me any closer to being able to accept my choice. Being an emo kid, then a depressed post-secondary student, to full-time employee gave me opportunities for distraction; to place death on the back burner, though always at a simmer. Then something shifted in me & I stopped fearing death & it became a goal. I obviously failed & due to friend support, I tried again to "live."

Though, it would seem I've returned to square one.

Reactions: newave3, demuic, pthnrdnojvsc and 1 other person
pthnrdnojvsc

pthnrdnojvsc

Extreme Pain is much worse than people know
Aug 12, 2019
I don't fear Death .The dead don't feel pain so why should i fear Death?

i fear excruciating pain ,extreme suffering, torture that could happen to me while i'm still alive . Extreme pain could torture me in any number of ways by accident, disease, my situation, stroke ,cancer or dying in a long natural Death etc, etc. etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: NodusTollens, newave3 and demuic
S

Spitfire

Enlightened
Apr 26, 2020
I am just thinking of if I want to let go of life yet or not? It could be so easy.

• Hugs
Reactions: NodusTollens and newave3
Ber0

Ber0

Quiet
Dec 27, 2020
This is a really interesting topic, I actually studied Epicurus in a few of my Philosophy courses. The way I understood it, death is just a part of life, when it arrives, we'll cease to be, so why fear what we can't control. Death and I cannot exist at the same time, we'll never meet, and when it finally happens, I'll cease to exist, but while I exist, death cannot be. I don't completely agree with Epicurus but he thought that a downfall of humans was that we think death always has to be painful and excruciating, which he believed to cause anxiety, pain and prevented us from living life to its fullest. He taught of the pursuit of pleasure, tranquility, and friendship through philosophy. He basically thought that we wouldn't have to fear death because we wouldn't feel anything since we'd cease to exist. Perhaps "ironically"?, he died from kidney stones, which are well known to be excruciatingly painful. Make of that what you will but it's said that he stayed happy and kept teaching even so. So I guess to summarize his teachings if I'm not wrong, surround yourself with friends, knowledge, happiness, and peace, do not fear death because it will hold you back from enjoying life to the fullest, and when it finally arrives, you won't be there to experience it. That's my thoughts on it.

• Love
Reactions: NodusTollens, newave3 and pthnrdnojvsc
Antigonish

Antigonish

Mage
Sep 19, 2020
I'm trying to find reasoning, motivation, and happiness. And with every waking moment I'm slowly giving up.

• Hugs
Reactions: NodusTollens and newave3
T

Tired_Tired

Student
Nov 25, 2019
If there has hell waiting for you after you are dead. You should fear of death. So horrible stayed in the hell forever.

Intotheflames

Intotheflames

a stranger in a strange land
Dec 23, 2020
I never afraid death per se. It's about the ways death comes, and what happens afterwards. These days I have new religious beliefs, so the latter is kinda dealt with. All is left is a painless, quick death, if peaceful even better. I'll welcome it with my open arms any day any moment.

• Hugs
Reactions: NodusTollens
LigottiFan19

LigottiFan19

Nov 21, 2020
Evolution itself imprints a deep fear of the unknown in us. It's a survival tool, because we exist to reproduce, as all mammals do. Death is to be avoided and fought.

We fear because we're programmed to fear. Whether or not there is anything to fear... nobody knows.

All we know is nobody comes back.

Reactions: NodusTollens, demuic and Spitfire
NodusTollens

NodusTollens

Nov 17, 2020
This is a really interesting topic, I actually studied Epicurus in a few of my Philosophy courses. The way I understood it, death is just a part of life, when it arrives, we'll cease to be, so why fear what we can't control. Death and I cannot exist at the same time, we'll never meet, and when it finally happens, I'll cease to exist, but while I exist, death cannot be. I don't completely agree with Epicurus but he thought that a downfall of humans was that we think death always has to be painful and excruciating, which he believed to cause anxiety, pain and prevented us from living life to its fullest. He taught of the pursuit of pleasure, tranquility, and friendship through philosophy. He basically thought that we wouldn't have to fear death because we wouldn't feel anything since we'd cease to exist. Perhaps "ironically"?, he died from kidney stones, which are well known to be excruciatingly painful. Make of that what you will but it's said that he stayed happy and kept teaching even so. So I guess to summarize his teachings if I'm not wrong, surround yourself with friends, knowledge, happiness, and peace, do not fear death because it will hold you back from enjoying life to the fullest, and when it finally arrives, you won't be there to experience it. That's my thoughts on it.
Thank you for your insight, I appreciate your outlook on this topic. Speaking from the perspective you mentioned, it would appear to be an apt summary, though I'm not all the way familiar with his teachings.

I took a philosophy course way back when, though I don't remember who we covered other than the obvious (Socrates, Plato, & Aristotle) & it was a breath of fresh air. Definitely more than my undeveloped high school brain could fully grasp. Twas the opposite of how I was raised to think.
I'm trying to find reasoning, motivation, and happiness. And with every waking moment I'm slowly giving up.
I've reached this point as well, so I can appreciate what you're going through. It's was a long road to giving up for me, so I was pleasantly surprised by this quote when it popped up. I don't fear death itself, given my thoughts on the subject, I suppose it comes with the territory. A bit of a conundrum to fear death but wish to die.

I hope that you find the direction you're looking for. :)
If there has hell waiting for you after you are dead. You should fear of death. So horrible stayed in the hell forever.
Kindly don't tell me or anyone else what we should & shouldn't fear. Your opinion is not fact.
I never afraid death per se. It's about the ways death comes, and what happens afterwards. These days I have new religious beliefs, so the latter is kinda dealt with. All is left is a painless, quick death, if peaceful even better. I'll welcome it with my open arms any day any moment.
I can understand what you're saying, many reach the point of wanting to CTB & are held by their religious beliefs. I won't pry into your beliefs, though it makes sense that it would be part of the internal struggle.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ber0 and Spitfire