TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
Note: I am not speaking for all people here or in general, nor is this medical advice and each person knows his/her situation best, so they should decide for themselves what is appropriate for their situation. This is merely my anecdote on why medication will not help for me.

WIth that said, I have many reasons (major and minor ones) as to why I will CTB. I've written many threads and I have skipped one from reason 10 and 12 (No. 11, which is currently hidden, redacted, and secret), mainly due to protecting myself from getting doxxed or revealing too many details. Just fyi, the 11th reason is NOT because meds don't work, but rather than meds will NOT resolve the problem that is part of my 11th reason to want to CTB. Furthermore, the 11th reason is rather convoluted and could be broken down into two threads in and of itself. Anyways, back to the thread at hand. I've spoke at length and lambasted the psychiatric industry and field at large and may have mentioned that therapy along with meds do NOT work for my situation (especially to overcome the problem that caused my '11th reason' for me to CTB).

Perhaps you have heard of a common quote "Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater."? I think it applies here when it comes to medications and it's side effects. I'm not someone to just aimlessly and blindly accept medication without considering the consequences, side effects, reactions, both psychologically and physically. Some would say well that will address the symptoms and they would be partially correct. Sure, the symptoms may have gone away, (assuming it's successful and has served it's purpose) but that may also carry side effects and other consequences, plus the root cause still persists, and hasn't been eliminated.

(ex. 1 You can trick your body into not feeling the symptoms by numbing your mind, your brain, or other things, but that NOT only fails to solve the root cause, root problem (as it's still there), but also you create NEW problems on top of the existing ones).

(ex. 2 You have a cold, and it's caused by a common cold virus which means it will have to run it's course and your body's immune system will have to fight it. However, you could take cough suppressants but that won't kill the virus that causes the cold, but only suppress the symptoms of the cold, which is coughing, but not the fact that your body is weak and that you are sick.)

Therefore, I always emphasize on resolving the root cause as that would address the problem itself and the symptoms would go away. If people only addressed the symptoms while ignoring the root cause, then the problem still persists and constantly fighting symptoms indefinitely is not my idea of a solution. Failing that or if the root cause has no solution, then CTB should be allowed as an option (which of course, is another topic for another thread.)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: binturong, JohnDoe555, Ghost2211 and 7 others
BitterlyAlive

BitterlyAlive

---
Apr 8, 2020
the symptoms may have gone away (assuming it's successful and has served it's purpose) but that may also carry side effects and other consequences, plus
Yup. I believe that for many cases, medication is ideally a tool to help the person until they can learn skills to function well enough without it. This is for things like generic anxiety and depression - I understand that there are some cases where medication is absolutely required and is apt to be a lifelong thing.

Anyway, that's why I never liked the idea of meds for myself. They don't address the real issues deep down. Although they would likely help...stabilize me. Because I've been getting out of control lately.

Plus...as I've noticed recently, I tend to be impulsive and "abuse" my meds. Mm. :/ Not a good habit. I kinda just don't care and take the occasional small handful of my stockpile of meds from this year. Not really doing myself any favors though.

Sorry. Rambling. Thanks for posting and explaining your reasons, mate.

Reactions: tidalwxves, _Minsk, moonchild and 3 others
moonchild

moonchild

Student
May 8, 2020
I completely agree. Small rant: I've never had any positive effects from medication. Yet, I'm currently on medication because they want me to ~stabilise~ or whatever before I'm even allowed to talk to a psychologist. I was even told they had to "start with something drastic", as if medication is sure to have more of an effect than actually talking about my issues. And when I do get to speak to a psychologist it'll probably be useless anyway, because it takes too long and is therefore too expensive to actually treat people, so let's just say 15 sessions of this generic CBT bullshit will solve a lifetime of misery.

I understand medication helps in some cases, depending on the cause of the problem. But personally, I honestly feel it's insulting to be told, by a professional, that "yeah this pill will fix that", when I've told them about my childhood and where my issues began. Can't really take anything they say after that seriously.

• Wow
Reactions: TAW122, _Minsk, Lostandlooking and 1 other person
BitterlyAlive

BitterlyAlive

---
Apr 8, 2020
I completely agree. Small rant: I've never had any positive effects from medication. Yet, I'm currently on medication because they want me to ~stabilise~ or whatever before I'm even allowed to talk to a psychologist. I was even told they had to "start with something drastic", as if medication is sure to have more of an effect than actually talking about my issues. And when I do get to speak to a psychologist it'll probably be useless anyway, because it takes too long and is therefore too expensive to actually treat people, so let's just say 15 sessions of this generic CBT bullshit will solve a lifetime of misery.

I understand medication helps in some cases, depending on the cause of the problem. But personally, I honestly feel it's insulting to be told, by a professional, that "yeah this pill will fix that", when I've told them about my childhood and where my issues began. Can't really take anything they say after that seriously.
Wow. That sounds incredibly frustrating. I'm a bit confused about why they feel the need to stabilize you before you can see a psychologist. Maybe it's because I'm really tired but I'm not connecting the dots about why the psychologist can't meet you where you're at.

moonchild

moonchild

Student
May 8, 2020
Wow. That sounds incredibly frustrating. I'm a bit confused about why they feel the need to stabilize you before you can see a psychologist. Maybe it's because I'm really tired but I'm not connecting the dots about why the psychologist can't meet you where you're at.
Their reasoning is basically that I wouldn't be able to benefit from therapy right now, that I'm in such a bad condition that I wouldn't be receptive (?) to it. So the meds are supposed to make me a bit better first. Honestly can't tell if this is what they do or if they're just straight up bullshitting me because they don't want to admit they don't have an available psychologist.

Reactions: TAW122 and Lostandlooking
BitterlyAlive

BitterlyAlive

---
Apr 8, 2020
Their reasoning is basically that I wouldn't be able to benefit from therapy right now, that I'm in such a bad condition that I wouldn't be receptive (?) to it. So the meds are supposed to make me a bit better first. Honestly can't tell if this is what they do or if they're just straight up bullshitting me because they don't want to admit they don't have an available psychologist.
I suppose it's fair. :/ Therapy is difficult if the client isn't very receptive...

moonchild

moonchild

Student
May 8, 2020
I suppose it's fair. :/ Therapy is difficult if the client isn't very receptive...
For sure, the client also has to put in the work. But my issue with it is mostly that I do think I'm as receptive as I can currently get, and if I'm not then medication most likely won't be the thing that makes a difference. :/

• Love
Reactions: TAW122 and BitterlyAlive
A

Aap

Enlightened
Apr 26, 2020
Your analysis is true in some or many situations. Some situations, such as a severe infection might not resolve without antibiotics. In those cases, medication is not,only a cure but essential for life. Other situations, medication may not be a cure but are essential for life or for maintaining quality of life, such as severe hypertension or type 1 diabetes. In all of these situations medication does Work and is essential, even if it is only managing disease.

for some mental health issues, while not a cure, medication can be essential for disease management and enable normal or more normal functioning, even if the disease is only managed but not cured. While for others, Medication is only a crutch or coping mechanism for an underlying issue. No clue what your particular situation is.

• Love
Reactions: TAW122 and XYZ
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
Yup. I believe that for many cases, medication is ideally a tool to help the person until they can learn skills to function well enough without it. This is for things like generic anxiety and depression - I understand that there are some cases where medication is absolutely required and is apt to be a lifelong thing.

Anyway, that's why I never liked the idea of meds for myself. They don't address the real issues deep down. Although they would likely help...stabilize me. Because I've been getting out of control lately.

Plus...as I've noticed recently, I tend to be impulsive and "abuse" my meds. Mm. :/ Not a good habit. I kinda just don't care and take the occasional small handful of my stockpile of meds from this year. Not really doing myself any favors though.

Sorry. Rambling. Thanks for posting and explaining your reasons, mate.
Exactly. Meds for my situation would mainly be just attacking and addressing symptoms rather than the cause (my 11th reason which is complicated and deep).

I don't blame you if you decide to dismiss professionals after that. My experiences have been similar growing up (keep in mind I've seen no less than a dozen mental health professionals - therapists, counselors, social workers, psychologists, and even a psychiatrist when I was very young, so I can relate similarly).

Your analysis is true in some or many situations. Some situations, such as a severe infection might not resolve without antibiotics. In those cases, medication is not,only a cure but essential for life. Other situations, medication may not be a cure but are essential for life or for maintaining quality of life, such as severe hypertension or type 1 diabetes. In all of these situations medication does Work and is essential, even if it is only managing disease.

for some mental health issues, while not a cure, medication can be essential for disease management and enable normal or more normal functioning, even if the disease is only managed but not cured. While for others, Medication is only a crutch or coping mechanism for an underlying issue. No clue what your particular situation is.
Yes, your first example is on point and makes sense, especially about antibiotics for certain infections. As for the maintenance of quality of life, I'd say it will vary from person to person since I would NEVER want to discount whether one's life is worth or not worth living (I can only speak for myself) as that is a value determination made by that said individual.

With regards to mental health though, yes, if someone just wants to function and cope throughout life (even though they can't solve their root cause, problem, or overcome said hurdle), then yes that would be an option and a lifestyle for them. I respect their choice of recovery or coping through their own life as they see fit. Now with my particular situation specifically, no, medications nor therapy will help me since it is not only a problem that is outside of my control (external factors), been born with it (a condition that I cannot change - and fyi, it is not physical or a mental illness in particular..), and then of course, some inconvenient truths that I cannot unnotice or live with. Again, it's complicated and for safety and privacy reasons I am not going into more detail than that.

• Hugs
Reactions: moonchild and BitterlyAlive