R

rozeske

Maybe I am the problem
Dec 2, 2023
Every time I look at the online people on this site there always is a very small number of member users than guest. Like when am writing this, total online users is 1265 but only 157 of those are members. It can be assumed some of this guests are not even suicidal and have other agenda and some applicants might have been rejected, but why do you guys think people find it hard to register and be a member user? Once I found this site I didn't spend much time as a guest before registering. But I see a lot others that say they have been a long time lurker before they registered, some even for years. Does it get somewhat scary to register, like it makes your situation somewhat real? uncomfortable? I've just been wondering what the reason behind this huge gap is.
Any ideas? What was your experience like?

• Hugs
Reactions: LoiteringClouds, Venessolotic, Sid19 and 1 other person
T

Thia

recovering
Nov 24, 2023
Every time I look at the online people on this site there always is a very small number of member users than guest. Like when am writing this, total online users is 1265 but only 157 of those are members. It can be assumed some of this guests are not even suicidal and have other agenda and some applicants might have been rejected, but why do you guys think people find it hard to register and be a member user? Once I found this site I didn't spend much time as a guest before registering. But I see a lot others that say they have been a long time lurker before they registered, some even for years. Does it get somewhat scary to register, like it makes your situation somewhat real? uncomfortable? I've just been wondering what the reason behind this huge gap is.
Any ideas? What was your experience like?
This site is sort of, uh, underground, and it is scary to register in that sense. Also, you can use the information on the site without having to register. Search in-site is provided only for members, but there is an easy workaround to that. Some people might not want to stop using a VPN at the time of registration. They might be minors. Maybe they don't want to tie an email address to a suicide website. It depends, really.

• Love
Reactions: dysthymia, Sid19, ren_b and 8 others
Thanksforeverything

Thanksforeverything

A handshake of carbon monoxide
Jul 24, 2023
It might be because of a combination of all the reasons you listed, or any single one of them. For me personally, I didn't register until one really bad day that kind of cemented my will to CTB. Initially, I just wanted to know about potential methods in case I ever wanted to go through with my ideation. But once I actively decided that it was time, I only registered because it felt like a place I could actually speak openly while waiting for my day.

This website's a lot of things, some good, some bad like any other place. While there are some bad actors that I won't name, most people here certainly try their best to be compassionate and supportive despite their own suffering. If I was here just for the resources on CTB and nothing else, I don't think I would have bothered registering.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Redacted24, haibane and rozeske
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
It's pretty much common that there are more guests / visitors on websites/forums/shops whatever. Only a few are going to open an account and from those only a few will become active.

I think the people who register here are only the top of the iceberg, most are on the edge, are very broken already, when they register. Otherwise I could not really imagine why someone searches for a community like this or even considers opening an account when it's not that worse.

• Love
Reactions: Sid19, Redacted24, ropearoundatree and 3 others
mortuarymary

mortuarymary

Enlightened
Jan 17, 2024
This site is the devil, according to pro-lifers. Some would rather lurk than actually join.

• Love
Reactions: Venessolotic, Sid19, haibane and 1 other person
dinosavr

dinosavr

and if i’m turning blue please don’t save me 🌛
Dec 14, 2023
Hi guests! I've been lurking for a while too before I registered and I regretted not having done it sooner. It makes you feel less lost when you're able to comment or even post on your own. Everyone here is extremely supportive and you're actually not committed to anything. You can always just leave.

• Love
Reactions: Redacted24, Fall_Apart, worthIess and 4 others
R

rozeske

Maybe I am the problem
Dec 2, 2023
Hi guests! I've been lurking for a while too before I registered and I regretted not having done it sooner. It makes you feel less lost when you're able to comment or even post on your own. Everyone here is extremely supportive and you're actually not committed to anything. You can always just leave.
I second this ☝️ for any guest reading this it really is a different experience when you register and interact. Unlike what the media claims it's not a place where the despairing go to die.

• Love
Reactions: dysthymia, Redacted24, 4am and 3 others
ijustwishtodie

ijustwishtodie

death will be my ultimate bliss
Oct 29, 2023
Many people have probably found this site by searching for information on suicide methods and are only here to get information on how to ctb. They probably don't really care enough to interact with people on this site

• Love
Reactions: dysthymia, Venessolotic, nothingbutmybest and 4 others
Linda

Linda

Jul 30, 2020
A lot of people will merely want information, and so will have no real need to become members. We all sometimes go to sites to which we are not members or haven't paid any subscrption, such as news sites that give you one or two free articles a month.

• Love
Reactions: dysthymia, Venessolotic and rozeske
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
Maybe because people don't want or have a need to make an account on here in the first place. People come here simply to read about suicide methods as it's a suicide forum after all and from what I'm aware you don't need an account to do that.

• Love
Reactions: Venessolotic, MiMif, haibane and 1 other person
R

rozeske

Maybe I am the problem
Dec 2, 2023
I realize many stumble here looking for methods the same way I did and it would make sense for many to just get their information and leave, but my understanding is many others choose to stay using the site regularly and stay as guests. Am looking to hear why many fear registering as it's not that complicated to register nor do you have to pay anything for subscription and stuff.

Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
Clearly the guests must all be bots from Russia and/or China and they're trying to gather intel on something we don't know, maybe like how best to make suicide more appealing to their enemies or what methods and materials they need to ban in their respective countries.

• Love
Reactions: rozeske
R

rozeske

Maybe I am the problem
Dec 2, 2023
Clearly the guests must all be bots from Russia and/or China and they're trying to gather intel on something we don't know, maybe like how best to make suicide more appealing to their enemies or what methods and materials they need to ban in their respective countries.
Now that is one interesting theory

Reactions: middlelord, Redacted24, MiMif and 3 others
R

rozeske

Maybe I am the problem
Dec 2, 2023
Because registering on a site makes the things going on in your head real. I occasionally look at watch people die (WPD) or documenting reality for a better idea about hanging but registering to either of them could be for me like sasi is to guest users where it's just too much of a step. Of you're a guest then perhaps you feel there's less of a trace of you're never actually logging in.
You have a point there, am quite sure most would fear it like registering for WPD.

mortuarymary

mortuarymary

Enlightened
Jan 17, 2024
That's a little farfetched.

Because registering on a site makes the things going on in your head real. I occasionally look at watch people die (WPD) or documenting reality for a better idea about hanging but registering to either of them could be for me like sasi is to guest users where it's just too much of a step. Of you're a guest then perhaps you feel there's less of a trace of you're never actually logging in.

I love your profile pic lol, are you actually a granny then or do you just feel like one?
Never say that to a lady lol

• Yay!
G

Gonnerr

Enlightened
Mar 12, 2023
Maybe because most members are dead, and they didn't do a goodbye thread.

• Love
Reactions: _apathetic and rozeske
FutureHanger

FutureHanger

fml
Dec 9, 2023
Doubt it, SI is insane plus most the people with access to good methods don't come here in the first place they just jump or shoot themself without ever looking online for tips on how to do it. This site is full of people who come because they don't know how to CTB

• Love
R

rozeske

Maybe I am the problem
Dec 2, 2023
Yes but I doubt the dead would show up on the online status. That would be cool though :)

sylvey

sylvey

I want to die slowly and painfully
Oct 11, 2023
Yes but I doubt the dead would show up on the online status. That would be cool though :)
I'd say that I'd hate to say this but I don't because we're all honest people here /lh Though this may not be what they meant, some people here who talk the talk about suicide may say they are going to CTB, but then they come back on a guest account to see if anyone cared as much as they hoped they would.

Did that sound cruel or apathetic? Cool.

• Love
T

the old man

Student
Dec 23, 2023
I reckon that the majority of people at some point in their lives feel like life has dealt them a bad hand and depression or self pity whether it be the break up of a relationship, problems at work or home or whatever reason they have has led them here on the spur of the moment with a half hearted thought that they're ready to put some concrete boots on and jump into the deepest pond they can find, then after a couple of nights weeping in their bed or a bottle of something to drown their sorrows they just get over whatever it was and get on with their life, some stay and lurk for whatever reason they have and some are actually serious about ending it all and become members, do their research on the method that they decide and get involved with the site and use it how it should be used, including the recovery and other sections.

• Love
L

LifeIsCrazyNemb

Arcanist
Jan 21, 2024
This the funnel concept:

There is the total of users of the forun.
From this total, only a fraction, a X% register.
From this total X% registered, only a fraction, Y% interacts and are active members.
From this Y% registered active members, only a fraction, Z% really achieve the goal of CTB

TOTAL USERS > X > Y > Z

• Love
Reactions: Tokugawa_Yoshinobu and rozeske
N

NaNO2_is_the_answer

Oct 18, 2023
feds are watching

• Love
middlelord

middlelord

Oct 22, 2023
There's not enough incentive to joining, most of the info in this site is mostly text and it's not limited to members only.

• Love
Reactions: nothingbutmybest and rozeske
R

rozeske

Maybe I am the problem
Dec 2, 2023
I'd say that I'd hate to say this but I don't because we're all honest people here /lh Though this may not be what they meant, some people here who talk the talk about suicide may say they are going to CTB, but then they come back on a guest account to see if anyone cared as much as they hoped they would.

Did that sound cruel or apathetic? Cool.
No it's not cruel. We are all just conjecturing possible theories here. Your idea does seem like a good possibility and if one does that it's kind of pathetic but also very sad. Feeling unwanted and not cared for your whole life does make you do strange things for that drop of affection.

Reactions: Tokugawa_Yoshinobu
BlockHammer

BlockHammer

Confused loser
Oct 25, 2023
Like everyone said, probably they just want to research for a methode and not intrested on having a converstation with everyone else. Me personally, i want to know more about the people who's suicidal or discuss something about life, eventhough i have this suicidal thought thanks to my circumstance in life, but it wasn't enough for me to decided to off myself

But i will save this info about ctb methode provided by this website as an insurance, just in case if my life are getting worse

• Love
J

jackrussell023

Oct 31, 2023
I was a lurker for a while, then decided that I would like to interact and see if there were others who understood my pain. It's been worthwhile so far.

• Love
sylvey

sylvey

I want to die slowly and painfully
Oct 11, 2023
No it's not cruel. We are all just conjecturing possible theories here. Your idea does seem like a good possibility and if one does that it's kind of pathetic but also very sad. Feeling unwanted and not cared for your whole life does make you do strange things for that drop of affection.
Indeed. Speaking of lurkers though, I also was a lurker of this site for a while too, but it never really seemed hard to want to become a member, I knew this was a community I wanted to be a part of.
I can also say with certainty though that people do whatever they can to be looked upon fondly by others, even though they're not long for this world.

• Love