depressedstupidgirl

depressedstupidgirl

Sep 24, 2024
why does "my body my choice" apply to people who (usually) willingly had unprotected sex and accidentally got pregnant but not every mentally sane consenting adult??? why tf would it be acceptable to kill a fetus but regular adults who have shitty lives get locked away for getting caught even THINKING of attempting suicide?? in my genuine opinion both abortion and assisted suicide should be massively available to anyone who needs it :| i bet if tomorrow a magic death pill hit the stores suicide rates would absolutely sky rocket.. so many people want to die but SO few are smart and brave enough to find a way out it's so damn sad.

• Love
Reactions: Decided98, wren-briar, Amnesiac_88 and 13 others
Leiot

Leiot

Oct 2, 2024
Our society has decided that suicide is bad. "You see, anyone who thinks about suicide is sick and needs help. Letting them kill themselves would be terrible". That's what they all tell us.

Now, when it comes down to the whole 'needs help' part they can't even comprehend what we go through much less be able to help.

• Love
Reactions: myusername890, pauloftheworld, Decided98 and 7 others
EvisceratedJester

EvisceratedJester

|| What Else Could I Be But a Jester ||
Oct 21, 2023
Abortion is seen as the prevention of bringing a new life into this world while suicide is seen as ending a life. It's associated with things like mental illness and is generally portrayed as a permanent solution to a temporary problem. At least that's why I assume that people are fine with abortion but not suicide.

Reactions: wren-briar, avoid, BoredNTired and 3 others
turnip

turnip

Jul 30, 2024
Suicide is... associated with things like mental illness and is generally portrayed as a permanent solution to a temporary problem
You're 100% right, but fuck this. I'm so tired of society's exclusive focus on short-term mental health problems. Sure, suicide isn't the answer for your average Joe who can't get off the couch for a few months post-divorce. Things will get better for him. But why do his circumstances get to change the rules for the rest of us? What about the people with a permanent problem?

• Love
Reactions: myusername890, pauloftheworld, wren-briar and 7 others
inkthirsty

inkthirsty

Jun 24, 2024
why does "my body my choice" apply to people who (usually) willingly had unprotected sex and accidentally got pregnant but not every mentally sane consenting adult??? why tf would it be acceptable to kill a fetus but regular adults who have shitty lives get locked away for getting caught even THINKING of attempting suicide?? in my genuine opinion both abortion and assisted suicide should be massively available to anyone who needs it :| i bet if tomorrow a magic death pill hit the stores suicide rates would absolutely sky rocket.. so many people want to die but SO few are smart and brave enough to find a way out it's so damn sad.

suicide is a last resort for most people who are too close to the edge. although it's considered a bad thing, it's an act that anyone is capable of. abortions prevent life from existing so it isn't murder. i don't think people should be restricted from trying new things whether it's permanent or temporary

Reactions: wren-briar and divinemistress36
EvisceratedJester

EvisceratedJester

|| What Else Could I Be But a Jester ||
Oct 21, 2023
You're 100% right, but fuck this.
I'm not saying that I agree with it. I'm just trying to explain why others have this mentality.

• Love
Reactions: wren-briar
depressedstupidgirl

depressedstupidgirl

Sep 24, 2024
Our society has decided that suicide is bad. "You see, anyone who thinks about suicide is sick and needs help. Letting them kill themselves would be terrible". That's what they all tell us.

Now, when it comes down to the whole 'needs help' part they can't even comprehend what we go through much less be able to help.

the "help":— paying a ton just to talk to a therapist and get mind numbing drugs that have no relevance to reality 💀
the "help" people teo us to get

• Love
Reactions: Leiot, Decided98, wren-briar and 2 others
penguinl0v3s

penguinl0v3s

Wait for Me 💙
Nov 1, 2023
Fetuses aren't human, they're clumps of cells that aren't viable outside a womb. Trying to draw a parallel inadvertently uses anti-abortion logic.

• Informative
Reactions: myusername890, wren-briar, eeah and 4 others
pyx

pyx

Mage
Jun 5, 2024
suicide in most cases will have real-world consequences, such as the lives of others which may be negatively affected with your passing. abortions, aside from religiously motivated interest groups, have a smaller domain of consequence, being that of the woman and her partner

• Informative
Reactions: wren-briar, sevennn and FujoshiNeet
Darkover

Darkover

Angelic
Jul 29, 2021
As for why these double standards exist, a lot of it likely comes down to societal values, ethics, and fears. Many societies have deeply rooted beliefs that life should be preserved at all costs. Additionally, governments may worry about the social and economic impacts of making assisted suicide widely available—just as you mention, a "death pill" could indeed prompt many to consider ending their lives, which raises unsettling questions about how society supports, or fails to support, those who are suffering.

• Love
Reactions: myusername890, wren-briar, mango-meridian and 1 other person
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
In both cases, it's parents who want to protect what they see as their rights I suppose. Either the right to not be lumbered with a child they don't want or, not to lose the child they invested time, money and love in.

Just pratically speaking too- there's more about a person to grieve for once it has been born, lived here for a while and, interacted with people. I agree though, I don't like this idea that our lives belong to other people.

The abortion issue is a complex one I think. When is it considered a life that has rights? Rights that equal the mothers? I do understand people saying that- when it's a fetus, it's simply a kind of unfeeling group of cells. It doesn't have the ability to choose anything. It isn't even conscious. Still- it surely still does have some rights. Maybe they aren't legally protected quite as much as an adults. But- say the mother chooses to continue to smoke, take drugs or drink alcohol excessively. She'll most certainly be looked down upon if those things harm her baby. I suppose that is conditional on her doing those things while she still intends to have the baby.

I find it kind of weird though in a way. The whole- 'My body, my choice' thing. Like a baby is a fashion accessory or tattoo or something you can get removed if you go off the idea. That abortion becomes a kind of belated contraception. It just sounds kind of flippant. But still, that's probably in part because I have old fashioned, prudish ideas around sex itself. It's not something that appeals to me as a flippant thing to do. That's not to say I think other people shouldn't. It's just a personal bias. I guess there are all sorts of reasons a person could become pregnant though.

That said- I am pro-abortion. I don't think it's fair to bring a child here that isn't wanted in the first place. It might work out ok for them I guess but I feel like the risk factor for things going wrong increases.

yellowjester

yellowjester

Experienced
Jun 2, 2024
Because a fetus isn't a person, you dork. I'm pro-choice for both, but acting like it's the same thing is just stupid.

Reactions: myusername890, sevennn and FujoshiNeet
Darkover

Darkover

Angelic
Jul 29, 2021
Because a fetus isn't a person, you dork. I'm pro-choice for both, but acting like it's the same thing is just stupid.
my body my choice

My body, my choice" is a slogan that conveys the idea that people have the right to make their own decisions about their bodies and health, without coercion or violence. The slogan is often used in protests and demonstrations to raise awareness of feminist issues and bodily autonomy rights

Bodily autonomy is a fundamental human right that includes the ability to: Decide whether or not to have sex, Use contraception, Go to the doctor, and Make reproductive choices. my body my choice should include the right whether i choose to live or die

• Love
Reactions: myusername890, wren-briar, athiestjoe and 2 others
FujoshiNeet

FujoshiNeet

✌️ you are mentally ill ✌️
Jan 21, 2024
A clump of cells are not equal to a person. Do not equate these two. Kys if you must, but leave this issue out of it. Sorry if I and others come off as aggressive but we are tired of this shit.

Reactions: sevennn
Darkover

Darkover

Angelic
Jul 29, 2021
A clump of cells are not equal to a person. Do not equate these two. Kys if you must, but leave this issue out of it. Sorry if I and others come off as aggressive but we are tired of this shit.
You're right—it's definitely important to recognize that abortion and assisted suicide aren't identical issues. Abortion often hinges on debates about personhood and when life truly begins, while assisted suicide is typically about the rights of an individual who is already clearly a person and fully conscious. In that sense, society has made different ethical distinctions between the two, which is why they're often discussed separately.

However, at the core of both debates is the idea of personal autonomy and the right to make profound decisions about one's own body and existence. By connecting them, some people are essentially asking why society allows individual choice in some areas but not others, even if they are fundamentally different. It's a nuanced discussion, for sure—and it's totally valid to recognize and clarify those differences while still advocating for choice in both areas.

• Love
Reactions: myusername890, Leiot, wren-briar and 1 other person
FujoshiNeet

FujoshiNeet

✌️ you are mentally ill ✌️
Jan 21, 2024
You're right—it's definitely important to recognize that abortion and assisted suicide aren't identical issues. Abortion often hinges on debates about personhood and when life truly begins, while assisted suicide is typically about the rights of an individual who is already clearly a person and fully conscious. In that sense, society has made different ethical distinctions between the two, which is why they're often discussed separately.

However, at the core of both debates is the idea of personal autonomy and the right to make profound decisions about one's own body and existence. By connecting them, some people are essentially asking why society allows individual choice in some areas but not others, even if they are fundamentally different. It's a nuanced discussion, for sure—and it's totally valid to recognize and clarify those differences while still advocating for choice in both areas.
"some people" must be very sheltered because abortion is shamed heavily where I am. Do not equate these two. The people who think abortion is a viable option are far more likely to be accepting of humane suicide too.
Again.
Do not equate these two.

depressedstupidgirl

depressedstupidgirl

Sep 24, 2024
Fetuses aren't human, they're clumps of cells that aren't viable outside a womb. Trying to draw a parallel inadvertently uses anti-abortion logic.
im not anti abortion though i wish everyone would get them

Reactions: ijustwishtodie
ijustwishtodie

ijustwishtodie

death will be my ultimate bliss
Oct 29, 2023
I don't know why people in this thread are implying that you're acting like a fetus is a human. You never once implied that and instead was merely pointing out the double standard that society has with the "my body, my choice" slogan. And, yes, it's all due to a double standard and cognitive dissonance that people are against suicide but not against abortion

• Love
Reactions: wren-briar and Darkover
sevennn

sevennn

Arcanist
Sep 11, 2024
because it is completely different from abortion.
agree. a woman can go and quietly get an abortion without telling anyone. no one will know. there's not gonna be a funeral. i can't just kms even if it's assisted without people knowing. because i already exist. not in someone's uterus.

FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I understand as personally all I hope for is to not exist, I wish I could just painlessly die in peace to escape from all the suffering, personally I see nothing desirable about prolonging the suffering just to end up way more tortured and tormented. The thought of being trapped in this existence just to die in agony from old age is horrific to me, I'd never wish for such, more than anything I wish I never existed at all, it just feels so cruel how I cannot just simply die in a painless way, I only hope to never suffer again.

• Love
Reactions: myusername890 and wren-briar
Gustav Hartmann

Gustav Hartmann

Wizard
Aug 28, 2021
If there were a magic death pill I would still hang myself, it would not change much if it kills directly. This pill should reduce SI and have the opposit effect of antidepressants. A pharmacist told me that pro-depressants could be developed easily but.....

• Hugs
Reactions: sevennn
Reflection

Reflection

One last hurrah
Sep 12, 2024
While it's not reasonable to compare both issues directly, I'll agree that the arguments that are usually presented do showcase hypocrisy from people, especially the one about self-agency: Everybody barks about autonomy until it involves something they don't like. Same thing why leaving someone even if they've been nothing but good and would be hurt so much, is viewed as okay.

• Love
MillieXIO

MillieXIO

Jul 31, 2023
I think it should be similar to drinking alcohol. Your frontal lobe develops fully at 25, that should be the age you're allowed to seek it. Instead, we're forced to suffer and go homeless and get addicted to drugs to try and stay happy. What a world.

Reactions: wren-briar and sevennn
sevennn

sevennn

Arcanist
Sep 11, 2024
I think it should be similar to drinking alcohol. Your frontal lobe develops fully at 25, that should be the age you're allowed to seek it. Instead, we're forced to suffer and go homeless and get addicted to drugs to try and stay happy. What a world.
i'm at a point where i think. people hate suicidal people with a passion. and they get sadistic satisfaction in restricting methods because then they get to have a boner from hearing all about gruesome suicides happening around them. our last tortuous minutes make them feel happy. because we deserved it. by being such weird suicidal and abnormal freaks. it all makes sense. given humanity's history of general degeneracy

Leiot

Leiot

Oct 2, 2024
Many people think abortion means a mother doesn't want the baby or she's too lazy to use birth control. That is a very small percentage of why babies are aborted. The life of the mother, a young girl being raped, the baby having no chance to have a normal life because of some medical problem.. these are valid reasons.

IMHO, the only difference between pro-choice and pro-life is who does the choosing.