• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

Baskol1

Baskol1

No life, no problems
Aug 11, 2019
Why is social media so full of people without any empathy? Why has social media become more toxic over the time? Does social media attract ruthless narcissists, or why has it become so toxic over the years? What do you think of social media? Should you stay away from social media?

• Aww..
Reactions: Numbtopain97, Thanatos, Painted Bird and 4 others
Mr2005

Mr2005

Don't shoot the messenger, give me the gun
Sep 25, 2018
This is social media and the same rules still apply. What looks good on paper isn't always in practice. Truth is humanity just wasn't ready for the internet. It brings out the absolute worst in people because there's no repercussions. Is that who they really are? I don't know. I don't think they'd say and do half what they did it if they didn't think there was some moron ready to like it. It's all a popularity contest, your soul going to the highest bidder

Reactions: Numbtopain97, Thanatos, a_strange_day and 4 others
D

DownFall

Aug 23, 2019
I've always hated social media and all the "like" hunting in it. Sure it would be nice to get "likes" but over time it just gets annoying or worse it gets depressing. That's why I wish I could just disable the reaction score here. I don't need to know how useless or good my messages are.

• Hugs
Reactions: peacefully31425, Beautifulletdown, Baskol1 and 1 other person
Mr2005

Mr2005

Sep 25, 2018
Baskol1

Baskol1

No life, no problems
Aug 11, 2019
Forced positivty is rampant on social media too, and many things are just fake.

Reactions: Painted Bird, iinner, DownFall and 1 other person
Mr2005

Mr2005

Sep 25, 2018
It's nice to be liked for staying true to yourself but to sacrifice your own opinions and beliefs for the purposes of being liked just makes no sense to me.

Reactions: Ermac, Baskol1 and DownFall
Misanthrope

Misanthrope

Mage
Oct 23, 2018
I made a former rant about the internet and its toxicity these days. I will just reproduce it.

I think the internet has become for the most part toxic for a multitude of reasons. In fact I would go so far as to say that since people are growing up living vicariously through screens they are losing out on developing social skills. Which just leaves people isolated and lonely, because an emote hug does not have the same value as a genuine hug. The need for tactile contact is pretty extreme and I mean that on a biological level. A lot of media has also stunted direct interaction. Or made it easier to not take the risks involved in being uncomfortable, or being laughed at or rejected in public. Easier to hide behind a facade and talk about the blueberry muffin you ate. If you are not developing these skills you are pretty much condemning yourself to painful loneliness and awkwardness when forced into social situations. That then just reinforce how you can't handle social situations and why you should avoid them even more. Living a half life that is just satisfactory enough to keep you inside, but painful enough it is a chronic ache of emptiness, that is prodded painfully by looking at the joyful experiences of others on social media.

Loneliness kills. There is so much evidence on the toxic nature of loneliness I am surprised more effort is not made to treat loneliness like an impending heart attack…

I think it is worse than that because the internet is anonymous meaning every atrocity of sadism and cruelty can be inflicted and encouraged. Little happens in legal response. So the worst of humanity is fully on display and at work which can distort your world view of the decency of people. We live in a very switched on society where there is no break from the relentless updates and shifts in status and messages. So that bullying does not just stop at school, or work or, uni it follows you into your online world as well. This has factually driven people to suicide and is a growing problem. Bullying is already not effectively responded to in real life, even less so online.

The internet also feeds anxiety because of how media distorts reality to manipulate you for ad revenue, and fear sells better than positive stories and hope. Instead, force feeding you a terrifying world of countless rapists in the bushes and other bogeyman. I am really not surprised that anxiety is so high. When lies are normalised.

You are also having wider world views shut down because of various algorithms that quite literally stop you from seeing certain things, instead presenting to you what you like and what you already think. Creating walled gardens which are just entrenching tribalism. So things like hostility towards genders and vegan sausage rolls is higher. It also allows uninformed views to bloom unchallenged and wind up continually reinforced. I hold it responsible for the worsening depth of bigotry in its myriad of forms.

I feel like this is what Aldous Huxley was warning against. Solutions to tyranny and pain not being resolved because of the infinite availability of distraction. A distraction that I feel is making us more isolated and cut off than ever. A Skype call to your gran is not taking your gran to bingo and laughing with her in person as she steals your own card because you won.

My personal observation of clients who lived as shut-ins was they were not helped enough by mental health services, but by other services that led to finding friends, engaging with hobbies, and building confidence, and with that confidence came direction and purpose. Then they rarely graced my door again. Sadly I have seen the various programs that helped people outside of a hospital setting get closed down and therapies that specifically tackle Anxiety reduced to a skeletal joke.

• Hugs
Reactions: Fadinglife, 262653, Dystopia and 5 others
Divine Trinity

Divine Trinity

Pugna Vigil
Mar 20, 2019
I made a former rant about the internet and its toxicity these days. I will just reproduce it.

I think the internet has become for the most part toxic for a multitude of reasons. In fact I would go so far as to say that since people are growing up living vicariously through screens they are losing out on developing social skills. Which just leaves people isolated and lonely, because an emote hug does not have the same value as a genuine hug. The need for tactile contact is pretty extreme and I mean that on a biological level. A lot of media has also stunted direct interaction. Or made it easier to not take the risks involved in being uncomfortable, or being laughed at or rejected in public. Easier to hide behind a facade and talk about the blueberry muffin you ate. If you are not developing these skills you are pretty much condemning yourself to painful loneliness and awkwardness when forced into social situations. That then just reinforce how you can't handle social situations and why you should avoid them even more. Living a half life that is just satisfactory enough to keep you inside, but painful enough it is a chronic ache of emptiness, that is prodded painfully by looking at the joyful experiences of others on social media.

Loneliness kills. There is so much evidence on the toxic nature of loneliness I am surprised more effort is not made to treat loneliness like an impending heart attack…

I think it is worse than that because the internet is anonymous meaning every atrocity of sadism and cruelty can be inflicted and encouraged. Little happens in legal response. So the worst of humanity is fully on display and at work which can distort your world view of the decency of people. We live in a very switched on society where there is no break from the relentless updates and shifts in status and messages. So that bullying does not just stop at school, or work or, uni it follows you into your online world as well. This has factually driven people to suicide and is a growing problem. Bullying is already not effectively responded to in real life, even less so online.

The internet also feeds anxiety because of how media distorts reality to manipulate you for ad revenue, and fear sells better than positive stories and hope. Instead, force feeding you a terrifying world of countless rapists in the bushes and other bogeyman. I am really not surprised that anxiety is so high. When lies are normalised.

You are also having wider world views shut down because of various algorithms that quite literally stop you from seeing certain things, instead presenting to you what you like and what you already think. Creating walled gardens which are just entrenching tribalism. So things like hostility towards genders and vegan sausage rolls is higher. It also allows uninformed views to bloom unchallenged and wind up continually reinforced. I hold it responsible for the worsening depth of bigotry in its myriad of forms.

I feel like this is what Aldous Huxley was warning against. Solutions to tyranny and pain not being resolved because of the infinite availability of distraction. A distraction that I feel is making us more isolated and cut off than ever. A Skype call to your gran is not taking your gran to bingo and laughing with her in person as she steals your own card because you won.

My personal observation of clients who lived as shut-ins was they were not helped enough by mental health services, but by other services that led to finding friends, engaging with hobbies, and building confidence, and with that confidence came direction and purpose. Then they rarely graced my door again. Sadly I have seen the various programs that helped people outside of a hospital setting get closed down and therapies that specifically tackle Anxiety reduced to a skeletal joke.
I'm impressed by your answer, thought, research, and experience was needed for that response. Another factor most don't mention, which crosses over into media and education is oversimplification, or as it used to be called "dumbing it down" (for mainstream audiences). Everything since 24/7 news cycles (Fox so-called News) has to be identified, analyzed, and given a universally accepted solution in 30 seconds. Bernie Sanders actually somewhat talked about it on the JRE podcast. If you can't or won't talk about important topics that affect everyone's lives what can you talk about on MSN? Without even mentioning the censorship, advertisers, or propaganda.

Attachments

• 20190827_105202.png
    20190827_105202.png
    252.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 20190827_105013.png
    20190827_105013.png
    7.7 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Reactions: Misanthrope, Ermac and Baskol1
Baskol1

Baskol1

No life, no problems
Aug 11, 2019
I'm impressed by your answer, thought and research, and experience was needed for that response. Another factor most don't mention, which crosses over into media and education is oversimplification, or as it used to be called "dumbing it down" (for mainstream audiences). Everything since 24/7 news outlets (Fox so-called News) has to be identified, analyzed, and given a universally accepted solution in 30 seconds. Bernie Sanders actually somewhat talked about it on the JRE podcast. If you can't or won't talk about important topics that affect everyone's lives what can you talk about on MSN?

The elite tries to dumb down the masses, they know why, otherwise we would be a danger for them.

Reactions: Ermac
Ermac

Ermac

Aug 20, 2019
Well it's even worse now that so many young people are being influenced by social media too early.
The peer pressure to fit in with everyone else so you join and become part of the system.

Reactions: DownFall and Baskol1
Baskol1

Baskol1

No life, no problems
Aug 11, 2019
Well it's even worse now that so many young people are being influenced by social media too early.
The peer pressure to fit in with everyone else so you join and become part of the system.

It seems the more problems in society the more stupid enternainment there is. Just like in the roman empire.

Reactions: Painted Bird and Ermac
Divine Trinity

Divine Trinity

Pugna Vigil
Mar 20, 2019
It seems the more problems in society the more stupid enternainment there is. Just like in the roman empire.
The bigger the issues, the harder politicians and PR firms kick the can down the road.

Reactions: Baskol1
Divine Trinity

Divine Trinity

Pugna Vigil
Mar 20, 2019
Well it's an interesting situation, the way I see it Homo S. Sapiens is an endangered species. Over the last 8-10 millenia, as the population increases an ever increasing ratio of the populous begin to mimic the behavior of cattle. Look at what human children traditionally were described to be; active, energetic, curious, mischevious, adventurous, etc. That description does not describe what I've seen as of late, the kids now are: docile, depressed, addicted, obese, lethargic, restrained, reserved. What else fits the latter description? Cattle.

My Analyses: An evolutionary catalyst has rapidly accelerated human evolution to the extent that we are no longer the same sub-species 10k or even 1k years ago, humanity has been morphed into a fat, passive, self-loathing man-cow perfectly adapted to an environment of consumerism, chronic stress, isolation, overstimulation of the senses, confined climate controlled areas, constant exposure to industrialized toxins on the skin, hair, and face, contaminated water, and a diet that is totally incompatible with the physiology of any species within its family tree.

Conclusion: While the increased isolation, mortality, reproductive complications, and depressive behavior will soon stabilize the subject's global population. The rate of damage to its' ecosystem and inherently unstable method of survival will lead to widespread changes to its environment, this new species is highly invasive and inhabits all 7 continents including the ocean which will likely result in altered patterns within the biosphere. The species appears to be sensitive toward extreme weather or disruptions to its' feeding patterns. Given the general trends of anthropogenic climate change, and the rate of soil degradation on land used to graze by the "man-cow" a dramatic decline in population within 80 years is probable, and extinction of the "man-cow" within 200 is likely.

Reactions: 262653, Misanthrope, Ermac and 1 other person
Baskol1

Baskol1

No life, no problems
Aug 11, 2019
Well it's an interesting situation, the way I see it Homo S. Sapiens is an endangered species. Over the last 8-10 millenia, as the population increases an ever increasing ratio of the populous begin to mimic the behavior of cattle. Look at what human children traditionally were described to be; active, energetic, curious, mischevious, adventurous, etc. That description does not describe what I've seen as of late, the kids now are: docile, depressed, addicted, obese, lethargic, restrained, reserved. What else fits the latter description? Cattle.

My Analyses: An evolutionary catalyst has rapidly accelerated human evolution to the extent that we are no longer the same sub-species 10k or even 1k years ago, humanity has been morphed into a fat, passive, self-loathing man-cow perfectly adapted to an environment of consumerism, chronic stress, isolation, overstimulation of the senses, confined climate controlled areas, constant exposure to industrialized toxins on the skin, hair, and face, contaminated water, and a diet that is totally incompatible with the physiology of any species within its family tree.

Conclusion: While the increased isolation, mortality, reproductive complications, and depressive behavior will soon stabilize the subject's global population. The rate of damage to its' ecosystem and inherently unstable method of survival will lead to widespread changes to its environment, this new species is highly invasive and inhabits all 7 continents including the ocean which will likely result in altered patterns within the biosphere. The species appears to be sensitive toward extreme weather or disruptions to its' feeding patterns. Given the general trends of anthropogenic climate change, and the rate of soil degradation on land used to graze by the "man-cow" a dramatic decline in population within 80 years is probable, and extinction of the "man-cow" within 200 is likely.

Yes, modern humans are like cattle, well atleast the masses are like cattle. The elite of course benefits from a passive, docile humanity who will say yes to everything. This is since the 70s like that, atleast that extreme.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ermac and Painted Bird
Ermac

Ermac

Aug 20, 2019

I appreciate the well worded reply. I agree with that conclusion.
I'm definitely going to have to watch that podcast episode now.

P

Painted Bird

...///...
Jul 15, 2019
I hate all those popular social media and stay away from them. Not only I don't have accounts there I also don't visit them. If you consider this website social media then this is the only one I'm using and as you all know it's different from the mainstream ones like fb, instagram, etc. Those sites show the worst side of society. I think people believe they can post anything without facing any serious consequences and in most of the cases they don't, which proves their point, so they carry on with all the hateful nonsense.

• Love
Reactions: Numbtopain97, a_strange_day, DownFall and 2 others
Baskol1

Baskol1

No life, no problems
Aug 11, 2019
I hate all those popular social media and stay away from them. Not only I don't have accounts there I also don't visit them. If you consider this website social media then this is the only one I'm using and as you all know it's different from the mainstream ones like fb, instagram, etc. Those sites show the worst side of society. I think people believe they can post anything without facing any serious consequences and in most of the cases they don't, which proves their point, so they carry on with all the hateful nonsense.

YouTube is much worse, especially the comments, there you see how some individuals really think, well atleast theyre honest on YouTube.

Reactions: Painted Bird
Misanthrope

Misanthrope

Mage
Oct 23, 2018

What a phenomenal response Divine Trinity.

I entirely agree that things are often oversimplified. Education and its failure are very much at the heart of this. What is happening with social media is just a symptom of that run amok and moving towards ever greater extremes.

I can only really comment about the educational standards in my country but I suspect it is similar all over the world. What generally seems to happen, is you are not taught to critically assess information. You would think that would be a crucial first step.

My own ability to attempt to do so sure did not come from my school years. It came from my father who was an engineer by trade and had a love of science he infected me with. If I asked why is the sky blue? He would tell me how it technically it isn't blue and then go into detail about the scattering of light and how a human eye works. He taught me to put the information I receive on trial like it all wants to lie to you.

I was very fortunate to have that before the ensuing divorce occurred and even after it he stuck by me until he couldn't.

School though does not teach you to put information or the people providing that information on trial. Or even assume any of it is lying to you because it has an agenda to deceive. Instead, you are rewarded for rote memory and knowing enough to meet pre-established criteria of hoops. Hoops that often get lowered for the sake of league tables and bonuses that come with them. So at the most crucial era of your life where child development is busy at work trying to settle on how to best do things in the world. You are not being taught anything all that useful in how to validate the information in the first place. Worse than that you are being taught to accept it all at face value. You will quite literally get punished for questioning the question. Fascinatingly I got thrown out of class for asking too many questions as if I were being disruptive... lol

You also get taught something that is not on the curriculum. Usually in a negative way quite early. The tribal nature of the school environment and where you are in the pecking order. In that moment Us vs Them gets entrenched. Groups close ranks, cardboard cut out villains are produced. The complexity of an individual gets lost to the concept of the group as a whole.

The long term result of that, which feed right back into why social media is toxic because of its walled garden effect. Very little challenges it at any stage. So lies easily become truths through repetition. Things simply get parroted. Especially if they feed into the dominant narrative of whatever tribe you ascribe to most. A lot of debate now isn't debate at all just sound bites. If you go beyond the soundbite people will often get confused.

We have now ended up at critical juncture at what that means. This applies to all ideologies and tribes, not just fox news or elites. We all have our tribes and that is natural. Its just civil discourse between them seems to have become rarer. Even facts can be viewed as offensive these days.

If your ideology cannot accept rhinoceroses exist because that would damage your tribe or ideology. Then it does not matter if you fly out and get a rhino and drop it on the person. They will likely comment gravity is especially heavy today while dying to an irritated rhino.

Critical thinking and logical fallacies would bridge this gap if it were taught as standard and everything wasn't over simplified. Because you would simply incorporate the rhino into your world view. So later on, be better able to deal with problems that may well involve rhinos. You would be able to realise what systems are in place that exist founded on exploiting ignorance that are doing you harm that cannot now be sanitised away by repeating lies. You also wouldn't assume that an entire demographic is culpable for the actions of some. Then treat all of that demographic in a hostile manner.

I don't really have a solution. When people ask me what can be done, these days my response is a cynical defeatist one. "Enjoy your slavery and paint your shackles the myriad of colours available while pretending you have meaningful choice." ( People don't talk to me so much these days...)

Like you, I have accepted we are pretty much the proletariat from orwell's 1984. That the inner-party have rigged the game so fantastically well we are going into an ever deeper state of division. Even our language is reflecting these divisive terms more and more. Social media is quite literally being weaponised to feed this division. Meme culture is certainly helping.

Wasn't too long ago I read about unethical experiments done on the populace against their will via it.

https://slate.com/technology/2014/0...or-sadder-to-manipulate-peoples-emotions.html

Politics is also harnessing Social media, creating fake people with opinions that sing from the same hymn sheet. Businesses will also create fake people referencing their product as if its a casual conversation. It all becomes manipulative noise devoid of substance.

I despair as I sit back and watch my seven-year-old niece with a tablet in hand staring into a screen. I can't help but be aware of weaponised psychology shaping her. Nudging her. Prodding her to pester mummy to buy more sparkle packs because the energy of the shitty game she is playing ran out. ( So shitty in fact I bought them a switch. ) I am aware in future she will face predators pretending to be fellow children into My little pony. A danger that when I was growing up did not exist. I am aware that she is going to be staring perpetually at false images of beauty that only exist because photoshop does. I have seen what that does to some of my former clients in the form of anorexia and self worth. I fear that her standard of education at no point will prepare her for this psychological assault. That she will be disappointed in how the magical paper does not guarantee a good job but certainly guarantees debt. That she faces a world where sadism has become almost trendy. Where acting like a slut before you hit puberty seems to be a new normal.

But above all I fear all the Rhinos will soon enough stampede in a manner that can't be ignored by any tribe. Meaning all the people I love and care about will likely get crushed and suffer. Because we are too stupid, divided, and greedy to get over our tribal stances. As well as seemingly learn nothing in what is supposed to be the information age.

(Apologies for my long-winded rant at you Divine Trinity got a bit caught up in it. I feel like we may well be on the same page in our awareness. Your reference to cattle was pretty much my own sad view of it. I would like to talk to you more in private if you are willing some time? )

Reactions: Divine Trinity
Wayfaerer

Wayfaerer

JFMSUF
Aug 21, 2019
It's a platform to show off how awesome you are and to do moral grandstanding and virtue signalling.

Reactions: Mr2005
Divine Trinity

Divine Trinity

Pugna Vigil
Mar 20, 2019
What a phenomenal response Divine Trinity.

I entirely agree that things are often oversimplified. Education and its failure are very much at the heart of this. What is happening with social media is just a symptom of that run amok and moving towards ever greater extremes.

I can only really comment about the educational standards in my country but I suspect it is similar all over the world. What generally seems to happen, is you are not taught to critically assess information. You would think that would be a crucial first step.

My own ability to attempt to do so sure did not come from my school years. It came from my father who was an engineer by trade and had a love of science he infected me with. If I asked why is the sky blue? He would tell me how it technically it isn't blue and then go into detail about the scattering of light and how a human eye works. He taught me to put the information I receive on trial like it all wants to lie to you.

I was very fortunate to have that before the ensuing divorce occurred and even after it he stuck by me until he couldn't.

School though does not teach you to put information or the people providing that information on trial. Or even assume any of it is lying to you because it has an agenda to deceive. Instead, you are rewarded for rote memory and knowing enough to meet pre-established criteria of hoops. Hoops that often get lowered for the sake of league tables and bonuses that come with them. So at the most crucial era of your life where child development is busy at work trying to settle on how to best do things in the world. You are not being taught anything all that useful in how to validate the information in the first place. Worse than that you are being taught to accept it all at face value. You will quite literally get punished for questioning the question. Fascinatingly I got thrown out of class for asking too many questions as if I were being disruptive... lol

You also get taught something that is not on the curriculum. Usually in a negative way quite early. The tribal nature of the school environment and where you are in the pecking order. In that moment Us vs Them gets entrenched. Groups close ranks, cardboard cut out villains are produced. The complexity of an individual gets lost to the concept of the group as a whole.

The long term result of that, which feed right back into why social media is toxic because of its walled garden effect. Very little challenges it at any stage. So lies easily become truths through repetition. Things simply get parroted. Especially if they feed into the dominant narrative of whatever tribe you ascribe to most. A lot of debate now isn't debate at all just sound bites. If you go beyond the soundbite people will often get confused.

We have now ended up at critical juncture at what that means. This applies to all ideologies and tribes, not just fox news or elites. We all have our tribes and that is natural. Its just civil discourse between them seems to have become rarer. Even facts can be viewed as offensive these days.

If your ideology cannot accept rhinoceroses exist because that would damage your tribe or ideology. Then it does not matter if you fly out and get a rhino and drop it on the person. They will likely comment gravity is especially heavy today while dying to an irritated rhino.

Critical thinking and logical fallacies would bridge this gap if it were taught as standard and everything wasn't over simplified. Because you would simply incorporate the rhino into your world view. So later on, be better able to deal with problems that may well involve rhinos. You would be able to realise what systems are in place that exist founded on exploiting ignorance that are doing you harm that cannot now be sanitised away by repeating lies. You also wouldn't assume that an entire demographic is culpable for the actions of some. Then treat all of that demographic in a hostile manner.

I don't really have a solution. When people ask me what can be done, these days my response is a cynical defeatist one. "Enjoy your slavery and paint your shackles the myriad of colours available while pretending you have meaningful choice." ( People don't talk to me so much these days...)

Like you, I have accepted we are pretty much the proletariat from orwell's 1984. That the inner-party have rigged the game so fantastically well we are going into an ever deeper state of division. Even our language is reflecting these divisive terms more and more. Social media is quite literally being weaponised to feed this division. Meme culture is certainly helping.

Wasn't too long ago I read about unethical experiments done on the populace against their will via it.

https://slate.com/technology/2014/0...or-sadder-to-manipulate-peoples-emotions.html

Politics is also harnessing Social media, creating fake people with opinions that sing from the same hymn sheet. Businesses will also create fake people referencing their product as if its a casual conversation. It all becomes manipulative noise devoid of substance.

I despair as I sit back and watch my seven-year-old niece with a tablet in hand staring into a screen. I can't help but be aware of weaponised psychology shaping her. Nudging her. Prodding her to pester mummy to buy more sparkle packs because the energy of the shitty game she is playing ran out. ( So shitty in fact I bought them a switch. ) I am aware in future she will face predators pretending to be fellow children into My little pony. A danger that when I was growing up did not exist. I am aware that she is going to be staring perpetually at false images of beauty that only exist because photoshop does. I have seen what that does to some of my former clients in the form of anorexia and self worth. I fear that her standard of education at no point will prepare her for this psychological assault. That she will be disappointed in how the magical paper does not guarantee a good job but certainly guarantees debt. That she faces a world where sadism has become almost trendy. Where acting like a slut before you hit puberty seems to be a new normal.

But above all I fear all the Rhinos will soon enough stampede in a manner that can't be ignored by any tribe. Meaning all the people I love and care about will likely get crushed and suffer. Because we are too stupid, divided, and greedy to get over our tribal stances. As well as seemingly learn nothing in what is supposed to be the information age.

(Apologies for my long-winded rant at you Divine Trinity got a bit caught up in it. I feel like we may well be on the same page in our awareness. Your reference to cattle was pretty much my own sad view of it. I would like to talk to you more in private if you are willing some time? )
There's not much I could add to that. Whenever I see a newborn in public I almost shed a tear, sometimes I do.

The worst feeling is wanting to take the next step after awareness and meticulously searching for solutions and alternatives to the woes of our small piece of the world. Solutions are here, we have the technology, manpower, and general public support to fix or at least mitigate all of the leading issues of yesterday and tomorrow, but it's not enough. We're currently interlocked into a strange phenomenon where the old order of the world as totally been discredited, and new one is trying to emerge, with this new order is the potential for survival of not just the human species but the biosphere as we know it. So today each of us, especially the youth are left with a choice: business as usual, which means collective suicide, or survival, a fundamental philosophical revolution? Overwhelmingly the powerless have chosen survival, that's all they've ever known. While the "men who sit on the shoulders of giants" have chosen suicide, knowingly or otherwise per individual. But what's shocking is the "middle class", they don't seem to be aware that there's a decision to be made at all, let alone that they have a voice in the matter, the strongest voice at that.

Perhaps the greatest example of this dynamic is Greta Thunberg, I would argue she's currently one of the top 5 most important public figures in the world as of late. She and the movement surrounding her represent possibly the last hope of humanity, even a fossil fuel thinktank list her as the greatest threat to the future of the industry. Its quite fitting that so much power lies in such small hands, though the Paris-climate agreement is about 40 years too late.

Feel free to PM, though my responses may be a little late.

Last edited:
Tegan_sky

Tegan_sky

losing hope
Aug 16, 2019
I'll throw my experience in, numerous times, not even posting in Social Media about suicide, not outright naming depression and anxiety, I have found either immediately or the next day after posting something that just "keeps it real," meaning I am not shining it on about how I feel, (but I don't rant either) I will have someone "unfriend" me in Facebook, or stop following me in Instagram.

I don't know if it's been mentioned here yet, anyone else heard Facebook referred to as "Fakebook"? This morning it was that I posted the GIF I put here in the "suicide memes" thread, of someone saying they're fine when they're not. Got instantly unfollowed by one of the people in my Instagram. Like I said, I don't rant in Social Media, I don't talk about suicide and I only share most of my stuff with a limited group of about 20 people out of 183 friends in FB. Seems you have to never keep it real or some people will reject you in Social Media. I have a hard time believing everything people are posting about their perfect lives, is really that perfect and wonderful.

Baskol1

Baskol1

No life, no problems
Aug 11, 2019
I'll throw my experience in, numerous times, not even posting in Social Media about suicide, not outright naming depression and anxiety, I have found either immediately or the next day after posting something that just "keeps it real," meaning I am not shining it on about how I feel, (but I don't rant either) I will have someone "unfriend" me in Facebook, or stop following me in Instagram.

I don't know if it's been mentioned here yet, anyone else heard Facebook referred to as "Fakebook"? This morning it was that I posted the GIF I put here in the "suicide memes" thread, of someone saying they're fine when they're not. Got instantly unfollowed by one of the people in my Instagram. Like I said, I don't rant in Social Media, I don't talk about suicide and I only share most of my stuff with a limited group of about 20 people out of 183 friends in FB. Seems you have to never keep it real or some people will reject you in Social Media. I have a hard time believing everything people are posting about their perfect lives, is really that perfect and wonderful.

These people are not friends

Reactions: Tegan_sky
Soulless_Angel

Soulless_Angel

existence is futile
Jul 10, 2019
because social media is full of asshats? Not read the replies fully here, but social media is a evil that society has become addicted too, I mean what the hell is a Instagram influencer? No I can't spell, but I don't care.
I have social media, when I was running my own business and was able to give something to people and be someone who people could use, I had so many people mailing me, *friends* and so on, then one *friend* raped me twice, and it pushed me to get out of that business,
Now I am no longer in that business my friends list has gone from 3K plus to less then 100 people.... seriously!!! I barely use it now, I am sick of the way social media uses your google searches to suggest what you see on fb, I hate I can no longer follow what I want to follow and am instead forced by their choices.
When I do see people I am sick of those fake filters, I have forgotten what some people actually look like due to fake glasses dog ears and that stupid tounge

Social Media has ruined this generation and their path in life, all only out to get likes and be popular, I miss the 90's, the era before all this crap

Baskol1

Baskol1

No life, no problems
Aug 11, 2019
There's not much I could add to that. Whenever I see a newborn in public I almost shed a tear, sometimes I do.

The worst feeling is wanting to take the next step after awareness and meticulously searching for solutions and alternatives to the woes of our small piece of the world. Solutions are here, we have the technology, manpower, and general public support to fix or at least mitigate all of the leading issues of yesterday and tomorrow, but it's not enough. We're currently interlocked into a strange phenomenon where the old order of the world as totally been discredited, and new one is trying to emerge, with this new order is the potential for survival of not just the human species but the biosphere as we know it. So today each of us, especially the youth are left with a choice: business as usual, which means collective suicide, or survival, a fundamental philosophical revolution? Overwhelmingly the powerless have chosen survival, that's all they've ever known. While the "men who sit on the shoulders of giants" have chosen suicide, knowingly or otherwise per individual. But what's shocking is the "middle class", they don't seem to be aware that there's a decision to be made at all, let alone that they have a voice in the matter, the strongest voice at that.

Perhaps the greatest example of this dynamic is Greta Thunberg, I would argue she's currently one of the top 5 most important public figures in the world as of late. She and the movement surrounding her represent possibly the last hope of humanity, even a fossil fuel thinktank list her as the greatest threat to the future of the industry. Its quite fitting that so much power lies in such small hands, though the Paris-climate agreement is about 40 years too late.

Feel free to PM, though my responses may be a little late.

I think Greta is simply delusional, she think she is a hero, and that she will chance anything, weil shes quite naive.