• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

I

ironeyes

Oct 30, 2023
I'm 21 and entering my first year of university, I took a four year long gap for a variety of reasons. anyway, I just got home at 5am from a 10 hour long night shift and I'm distraught. I'm young- why am I working like a dog to afford rent and food and uni? I didn't choose to be here. everyone in my life is suffering some how and when I ask why, I am repeatedly told 'that's just how it is', 'that is just how life works'. it doesn't have to be this way. why is everyone so accepting of it? the solution is not 'just make a lot of money, then do what you love' as I am told- I don't want to ever deal with money actually, nor 'work' in the sense we work today, or worry about rent or groceries or government lineups or picking a flavour of toothpaste from a wall of dozens. Nor do I want to flee my country and become a monk, trek barefoot, or sip ayahuasca in the sun. I've been working full time for six years now, I'm already exhausted.
This is the exchange I continue to have endlessly:
"I do not want any of this advertising, money, animals dead on roadsides, working, line ups- I don't want it."
"Everyone is suffering, you just need to make good money and look for the good things when you're not working."
"I don't want to make good money. Or any money. I don't want to have to worry about funds or borders or..anything. What am I looking forward to?"
"..Well, there are good things, but that's just the way life is."
"And if I don't want to be part of that arrangement?"
And nobody seems to have an answer for me.

Last week, it was scorching hot and I wanted to rest for a moment and sit in the shade. There was no shade, for all the trees have been cut down. There were advertisement laden bus stop benches, baking in the sun. I cannot articulate my revulsion at this. It doesn't have to be this way. If this is "the way that it is", and I don't want to be part of "the way that it is"- what am I doing here?

When I ask this question, people look at me like I am saying the thing a person is not supposed to say out loud.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Eternal Eyes, kunikuzushi, ConfusedClouds and 5 others
davidtorez

davidtorez

Arcanist
Mar 8, 2024
I agree so wholeheartedly with you. We didn't choose to be here and if we genuinely don't want to go along with life or living or existing , we should be able to opt out. It's really that simple.

Reactions: kunikuzushi
C

ConfusedClouds

Experienced
Mar 9, 2024
I also get so frustrated at the way everyone seems to turn a blind eye to the corporate ways of taking over things and marketing just adding unnecessary products/variations - half the time 'solutions' just create more problems down the line. But thats 'OK' because the corporations can then monetise even more new 'solutions'.

I love your observation about the wall of toothpaste. I am working in a supermarket as one of my summer temporary jobs and just find the range of products we supposedly 'need' ridiculous - so many variations of the same thing. So unnecessary. But as you say, is just 'accepted' and should these options now be removed, there'd no doubt be uproar about restrictions. Feels like such a mess.

Reactions: kunikuzushi
I

ironeyes

Oct 30, 2023
I also get so frustrated at the way everyone seems to turn a blind eye to the corporate ways of taking over things and marketing just adding unnecessary products/variations - half the time 'solutions' just create more problems down the line. But thats 'OK' because the corporations can then monetise even more new 'solutions'.

I love your observation about the wall of toothpaste. I am working in a supermarket as one of my summer temporary jobs and just find the range of products we supposedly 'need' ridiculous - so many variations of the same thing. So unnecessary. But as you say, is just 'accepted' and should these options now be removed, there'd no doubt be uproar about restrictions. Feels like such a mess.
I also work retail. it is very difficult stocking all those products with micro-variations and dealing with all the plastic waste, the food waste, etc. but yes, it seems to be an affront to many to even suggest that maybe we have ten types of toothpaste, if that, instead of thousands of brands (most of which are the same product but in different packaging). the illusion of choice grants no freedom nor happiness. it would be nice if things were simpler, no? even just a little bit.

• Love
Reactions: ConfusedClouds