Dec 15, 2019
Why is hanging so hard to do?

• Hugs
Reactions: Salt, darkghost, strawberryfield and 3 others
ARW3N

ARW3N

Melancholia
Dec 25, 2019
I think it's down to the survival instinct.

Reactions: Salt, darkghost, strawberryfield and 4 others
E

esse_est_percipi

Enlightened
Jul 14, 2020
Why is hanging so hard to do?
It depends what you mean. Are you talking about actually deciding to go through with it, or the actual process of hanging with choking/head expanding feeling/SI etc?
I think it's down to the survival instinct.
But if you do full hanging with strong support and proper rope, there's not much the SI can do. You will go unconscious after a few minutes and that will be it.

• Love
Reactions: Salt, kinzokukae and ARW3N
S

Steamm

Arcanist
Feb 28, 2020
I got problems doing that too

Reactions: Salt
ARW3N

ARW3N

Melancholia
Dec 25, 2019
It depends what you mean. Are you talking about actually deciding to go through with it, or the actual process of hanging with choking/head expanding feeling/SI etc?

But if you do full hanging with strong support and proper rope, there's not much the SI can do. You will go unconscious after a few minutes and that will be it.
I actually agree with you! There are all these rambling posts on SS making hanging, even full suspension hanging unbelievably, to be more fraught out and complex than it really is! You make it sound so simple and it is that simple once a person has skipped past the survival instinct. Yeah, there's not much the survival instinct can do about full suspension hanging.

Reactions: darkghost
LetzteAusfahrt

LetzteAusfahrt

Swiss gay, will definitely ctb on October 10th
Jun 27, 2020
Hanging is actually pretty much the easiest thing to do.

It is only difficult if you are afraid of it because you do not know what it will be like.
But you can do something about it if you become familiar with it, if you practice and try something.

Which rope, which knot, how to place the sling correctly.
Just get the feeling for it.

And if that doesn't work, then it is better to choose another method.
I got problems doing that too

Can you describe the problems to us in more detail?
What frightened you ?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: tiredofthis, darkghost, Worndown and 1 other person
ARW3N

ARW3N

Melancholia
Dec 25, 2019
Hanging is actually pretty much the easiest thing to do.

It is only difficult if you are afraid of it because you do not know what it will be like.
But you can do something about it if you become familiar with it, if you practice and try something.

Which rope, which knot, how to place the sling correctly.
Just get the feeling for it.

And if that doesn't work, then it is better to choose another method.
Yes, and pro-lifers prey on those fears to full effect in their suicide prevention programmes. The lethality of death by hanging is pretty high which is why full suspension hanging is the preferred method of execution in Iran. Pro-lifers play up images of those hanging convulsing in agony, slowly suffocating to death or brain damaged survivors to deter potential suicides. There are few brain damaged hanging survivors and people pass out in minutes long before their bodies start convulsing.

Reactions: esse_est_percipi
E

esse_est_percipi

Enlightened
Jul 14, 2020
I actually agree with you! There are all these rambling posts on SS making hanging, even full suspension hanging unbelievably, to be more fraught out and complex than it really is! You make it sound so simple and it is that simple once a person has skipped past the survival instinct. Yeah, there's not much the survival instinct can do about full suspension hanging.
Yes, the main thing to get past is the psychological barrier of survival instinct/worries about it going wrong etc.
But the mechanics of it are quite simple.
It's sad that it should have to be an option for anyone though. If only we could just take a pill and drift away forever...

Last edited:
Reactions: LADY007
Worndown

Worndown

Visionary
Mar 21, 2019
Stepping off a chair or swallowing a pill require the same courage. You know the outcome of both acts. Calmly drifting away sounds better, but that is usually reserved for old age.

Reactions: Angina and Toobrokentofix
Hybrid

Hybrid

Jun 30, 2020
I remember a nice video about a girl trying to warn about a " hanging game". She lost awareness in seconds, no pain, her boyfriend proceed to help before she gets damaged.

It was the perfect partial suspension tutorial, but can't find it. Was it deleted ?

pillsthatkill

pillsthatkill

Jul 23, 2020
The survival instinct sure doesn't help. I'm sure if that was completely wiped I'd be dead already as many others.

Reactions: kinzokukae
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
I believe it is due to the lack of good rope, support beam, places to do so just as a start. Then the other factors (including SI) would be applying the method correctly (whether partial or full suspension), and making sure that one doesn't constrict one's own airways (which makes one choke and is more likely to trigger one's SI and the body would involuntarily take the rope off). Ideally, when hanging, it would be most effective if one managed to block off both carotid arteries, which stop bloodflow to the brain, leading to unconsciousness within 10-15 seconds or so. Then after the brain not getting enough blood and oxygen, it starts to die and after roughly 30 minutes (half hour), the person would be literally dead.

Reactions: pillsthatkill
Worndown

Worndown

Visionary
Mar 21, 2019
The brain starts to suffer damage by 6 minutes. That is why NOT getting found for 30 is so important. Some well meaning person can get you revived so you can breath, but not much else. Maybe some form of no-resuscitation order is needed. Maybe write down the time you are going to do it and explain that it is over.
This goes for some other methods too.
It is hard to live and hard to die.

Deleted member 17949

Deleted member 17949

Visionary
May 9, 2020
Survival instinct and sloppy setup

E

esse_est_percipi

Enlightened
Jul 14, 2020
Maybe write down the time you are going to do it and explain that it is over.
Good idea actually. Maybe write a note and pin it to the front of your shirt, saying that if they revive you you will be brain damaged or something. Maybe that will make them think twice about forcing life on you, but I'm guessing most people would try to save you anyway.

Reactions: cyberlordsumit