Samsara

Samsara

Experienced
Mar 9, 2020
I was reading about how euthanasia in the Netherlands, Belgium, etc. is administered to patients with prolonged, unremediable mental suffering; I also noticed a striking statistic, in that most of the public in these areas approved of euthanasia for psychological suffering.

Why is this so different in other places, like the USA, where suicide is highly stigmatized and euthanasia for psychological suffering is out of the question?

• Love
Reactions: Élégie, it's_all_a_game, introspectious and 10 others
E

esse_est_percipi

Enlightened
Jul 14, 2020
Religion. There is probably a correlation between decreasing levels of religiosity in Europe and liberalization of attitudes towards topics such as euthanasia, abortion etc.
The US is still a mainly Christian country, especially the central and southern states.

• Love
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, Numbtopain97, GarageKarate07 and 14 others
Worndown

Worndown

Visionary
Mar 21, 2019
Because other countries operate better than we (U.S.) do. We really want all our citizens to be happy, employed, wear a shirt and shoes, be heterosexual and a christian. Sadly a large percentage of the population cannot attain these high and ridiculous standards. How in the world could they (we) manage to incorporate death?

Reactions: Numbtopain97, Lethe, Sensei and 5 others
R

Reach

Jun 28, 2020
I'm wondering how they decide who can get euthanasia for that. Like I can have those feelings that I feel like unremediable, but how do they actually decide? Can anybody can be a candidate who have depression for years without any improvement?
I was reading about how euthanasia in the Netherlands, Belgium, etc. is administered to patients with prolonged, unremediable mental suffering; I also noticed a striking statistic, in that most of the public in these areas approved of euthanasia for psychological suffering.

Why is this so different in other places, like the USA, where suicide is highly stigmatized and euthanasia for psychological suffering is out of the question?

Reactions: AutoTap
W

Wisdom3_1-9

he/him/his
Jul 19, 2020
Hi. We're the US. You might remember us from such shows as the World News. We appear quite regularly because we're a major contributor to most of the world's problems and our leader is an incompetent megalomaniac who loves to see himself on TV.

Here, we believe in FREEDOM, God damn it! You're free to do whatever you want... well, so long as it's okay with the one true Christian God. I mean, you have freedom of religion here, so you're welcome to believe whatever you want, but we're a CHRISTIAN nation, so you better not do anything un-Christian... unless it's divorce, or mistreat the poor, or ignore the sick, or keep out refugees. I mean, Jesus didn't *really* mean those things. Anyway, it doesn't matter to us how other countries do things, no matter how right they are, because we're AMERICA God damn it!

• Love
  • Aww..
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, muffin222, 262653 and 13 others
T

ts0hill

Victim of the pharmaceutical industry
Oct 17, 2020
I live in the US and I would say religion and the ideas from it unfortunately. I am not religious but maybe half of people are and religious people tend to have less open minded ness when it comes to these things. However a lot of the religious organizations have become more open minded but not all of them

Reactions: deadgirlahsatan
E

everydayiloveyou

Arcanist
Jul 5, 2020
I don't think it has anything to do with religion. Back in school, many of my classmates weren't religious and they supported medical euthanasia. But when the topic of mental illness is brought up, usually the argument is that we (as mentally ill people) are incapable of making a rational decision on such a thing, and that it'd be medically inhumane to allow it. Many Americans also have the idea of euthanasia where the doctor is administering some lethal injection, even though the Netherlands and Switzerland do no such thing. So I can see why people would be wary.

Remember that those European countries usually have accessible and robust healthcare services. Even at their worst, I'm sure they do much better than the American psychiatric system by accessibilty alone. And I agree with that line of thinking-- there are probably many suicidal people in the USA who simply don't have access to the care they need, and may choose a medically assisted suicide as a way out. And we wouldn't know if a good therapist or affordable meds would've given them the life that they desired. It's definitely a consideration for "regular" euthanasia for old people and the terminally ill, after all. There's already a very real fear that Grandma will choose the euthanasia over a potentially life-saving treatment just to spare her family the burden of medical bills.

If mental health care (hell, medical care in general) were more accessible, and if mental illnesses had more awareness and less stigma in general, I'm sure the American people and lawmakers would come around and see why a medically assisted suicide would be more humane for people with prolonged & chronic mental illness than leaving them to suffer in a psych ward for the rest of their life. Or worse, killing themselves anyway, but while alone, scared, and in tremendous physical pain.

• Love
  • Aww..
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, muffin222, madbananas and 7 others
B

Buffy5120

Death is vital
Mar 19, 2020
Hi. We're the US. You might remember us from such shows as the World News. We appear quite regularly because we're a major contributor to most of the world's problems and our leader is an incompetent megalomaniac who loves to see himself on TV.

Here, we believe in FREEDOM, God damn it! You're free to do whatever you want... well, so long as it's okay with the one true Christian God. I mean, you have freedom of religion here, so you're welcome to believe whatever you want, but we're a CHRISTIAN nation, so you better not do anything un-Christian... unless it's divorce, or mistreat the poor, or ignore the sick, or keep out refugees. I mean, Jesus didn't *really* mean those things. Anyway, it doesn't matter to us how other countries do things, no matter how right they are, because we're AMERICA God damn it!
America is a fucking joke
I don't think it has anything to do with religion. Back in school, many of my classmates weren't religious and they supported medical euthanasia. But when the topic of mental illness is brought up, usually the argument is that we (as mentally ill people) are incapable of making a rational decision on such a thing, and that it'd be medically inhumane to allow it. Many Americans also have the idea of euthanasia where the doctor is administering some lethal injection, even though the Netherlands and Switzerland do no such thing. So I can see why people would be wary.

Remember that those European countries usually have accessible and robust healthcare services. Even at their worst, I'm sure they do much better than the American psychiatric system by accessibilty alone. And I agree with that line of thinking-- there are probably many suicidal people in the USA who simply don't have access to the care they need, and may choose a medically assisted suicide as a way out. And we wouldn't know if a good therapist or affordable meds would've given them the life that they desired. It's definitely a consideration for "regular" euthanasia for old people and the terminally ill, after all. There's already a very real fear that Grandma will choose the euthanasia over a potentially life-saving treatment just to spare her family the burden of medical bills.

If mental health care (hell, medical care in general) were more accessible, and if mental illnesses had more awareness and less stigma in general, I'm sure the American people and lawmakers would come around and see why a medically assisted suicide would be more humane for people with prolonged & chronic mental illness than leaving them to suffer in a psych ward for the rest of their life. Or worse, killing themselves anyway, but while alone, scared, and in tremendous physical pain.
No because in America its all about the money

So basically Switzerland actually cares for their people and America doesn't yup sounds about right

Last edited:
  • Aww..
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, Spitfire and peacechoice
E

everydayiloveyou

Arcanist
Jul 5, 2020
No because in America its all about the money
That's exactly the point I wanted to make, after all money is the only reason we still have private healthcare. We know it's shitty, we know it kills people. But its easy to chalk up our problems to the vague concept of "healthcare" rather than calling it what it is and getting the problem at the root. So people keep dying, and mentally ill people are still forced to suffer through and live horrible lives that are made even worse by the lack of social support services and resources (which often results from having an illness in the first place)

It's all about the class conflict :(

• Aww..
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, Spitfire, Brink and 1 other person
J

Jean Améry

Enlightened
Mar 17, 2019
I'm afraid the theory and practice are rather different. Many people in the countries you mentioned are clamouring for euthanasia for mental suffering yet very few actually receive it. It's a typical carrot-on-a-string Spiel: they pretend it's a real possiblity and you'll get it if you do everything they say and submit to whatever they want while in reality you'll have to suffer for years and years and even then it's not a guarantee you'll eventually receive euthanasia.

Last edited:
Reactions: All washed up and AutoTap
F

Flightlinek

Student
Aug 20, 2018
That's exactly the point I wanted to make, after all money is the only reason we still have private healthcare. We know it's shitty, we know it kills people. But its easy to chalk up our problems to the vague concept of "healthcare" rather than calling it what it is and getting the problem at the root. So people keep dying, and mentally ill people are still forced to suffer through and live horrible lives that are made even worse by the lack of social support services and resources (which often results from having an illness in the first place)

It's all about the class conflict :(

Absolutely. The whole reason we don't have socialized medicine (the way "Obamacare" was originally envisioned) is because the hospitals and insurance companies stood to lose too much money. Everything in the US is about money--everything, even churches--with a little bit of religion and American puritanism sprinkled in. The other defining characteristic about Americans is that we're raised since birth to believe we're special, we're an exception to all the rules, and we get what we want.

All of these factors combine to be really bad for mental health, and health in general. There's no real effort to really resolve any health (physical or mental) issues, because there's much more money in *treating* than in working toward a permanent or long-term solution.

Somewhere along the way, the church began teaching that suicide (euthanasia is viewed as a form of suicide) is an unforgivable sin, so that good old American attitude kicked in and we have a horrible, undeserved stigma around it. Not only is it purely wrong in the eyes of many judgmental Americans who are convinced their way is the only way, but they've been convinced that continuing to treat our ailments with an ongoing barrage of (expensive) pharmaceuticals is the only acceptable solution.

• Aww..
  • Love
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, Spitfire, artemis1223 and 1 other person
Rn110bg101

Rn110bg101

I want to go home
Apr 18, 2019
I live in France and I wish we were as good as Belgium or Switzerland (even though they're only in Europe geographically). Here if you do so much as say the words "hurt yourself" you're immediately yelled at by everyone.

D

Deformationalplagio

Born deformed
Dec 28, 2019
Im from belgium and yes there are some rare cases of people with a mental illness getting euthanasia but this is really really rare and even i who have a serious facial skull deformity (very bad looking one) was not accepted for euthanasia

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, muffin222, Numbtopain97 and 3 others
Samsara

Samsara

Experienced
Mar 9, 2020
I'm wondering how they decide who can get euthanasia for that. Like I can have those feelings that I feel like unremediable, but how do they actually decide? Can anybody can be a candidate who have depression for years without any improvement?

I've looked into this a bit and this is still definitely a gray area that's even being debated in medical/psychiatry articles. I think they assess for factors like the extent to which your symptoms are attributable to changeable environmental factors, number of different "acceptable" treatments tried, reasons for wanting euthanasia, mental competence, etc

Reactions: MindFrog and Reach
deadbeat

deadbeat

Sep 9, 2020
I think it's religion. People here are mostly Christian and many are extreme about it.

TattiQueen

TattiQueen

Student
Sep 12, 2020

I, personally, have noticed that Europe, not all but in most areas, are much less conservative in their views. By this I mean, they are more lenient with their views on nudity, alcohol ages, and I've even seen differences in the way slavery was practiced. Yes we, as Americans, are technically given freedom of speech, equal rights acts, etc, but I can absolutely tell you, they aren't exactly free and those terms aren't used literally or loosely. It seems to need to fit a specific agenda here, whereas in Europe, from what I can gather from research and reading, their terms and rules/laws are more literal with their meanings. If I am wrong please correct me, since I'd love to learn more!

I literally just posted quite a similar response on another similar thread. So glad someone else got to this one, as the lengthy required response is slightly exhausting! But absolutey, it has more to do with a persons ability to decide for themselves. When they do not, the POA ( Power of Attorney ) who is appointed by the individual before declination is reached, is left with this decision. I don't see anyone wanting to give consent in this position, no matter what the specifics. It's just a very sad and difficult place to be in in our country honestly, and even tougher to change people's minds on the subject.

Last edited:
Reactions: it's_all_a_game and lobster salad
A

AutoTap

Elementalist
Nov 11, 2020
I'm afraid the theory and practice are rather different. Many people in the countries you mentioned are clamouring for euthanasia for mental suffering yet very few actually receive it. It's a typical carrot-on-a-string Spiel: they pretend it's a real possiblity and you'll get it if you do everything they say and submit to whatever they want while in reality you'll have to suffer for years and years and even then it's not a guarantee you'll eventually receive euthanasia.
This. You pretty much have to be old and a looong history of mental illness, or the start of something like dementia, or a terminal illness for them to accept you. Not to mention it's expensive and you pay upfront and loose money if they don't accept.

Reactions: Jean Améry
A

aBLEACHyindividual

Sep 5, 2020
The USA is the embodiment of peak hypergamy. They want unattractive young men to suffer, instead of letting them off themselves like Japan.

• Hugs
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, LenkaX and 262653
Wayfaerer

Wayfaerer

JFMSUF
Aug 21, 2019
The culture here in the US is primitive and superstitious in many ways.

A

aBLEACHyindividual

Sep 5, 2020
They have euthanasia in Japan?
No, but I heard that a lot of their men off themselves and nobody bats an eye, but every time someone kills themselves in America they make it a big deal, over nothing. smh.

Amumu

Amumu

Ctb - temporary solution for a permanent problem
Aug 29, 2020
Rain put it in another thread, the European courts are more likely to accept it.
But please again, don't idealize Belgium, the Netherlands and Switzerland, as another user put it here,
it is very rare that you're accepted for mental illnesses.

Nymph

Nymph

he/him
Jul 15, 2020
There might be clinics in Europe but general population is still against it, I've never met anyone in my life who was pro choice.

• Aww..
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, LenkaX and puppy9
CoalmineCanary

CoalmineCanary

Jul 15, 2020
Europe is more scientifically advanced and minded in health care than in the United States. As a result they are also more compassionate.

That's it. That's the post.

hoping to lose hope

hoping to lose hope

<3 Message me to trade music <3
Nov 14, 2020
I think USA is still riding the coattails of theocracy and yet to fully embrace secularist views as much as Europe has.
The vestigial religious influence.

notreallynow

notreallynow

Oct 21, 2020
There are 40- something countries in Europe and 3 where it's accepted in a very small number of cases, 'much more accepted' is really pushing it.

Reactions: LenkaX and Jean Améry
Breadbfra

Breadbfra

Specialist
Jul 16, 2020
Which part of Europe? The civilized country or the "stuck in 1500" countries?
Belgium, Switzerland, Germany, nordic countries mainly agree with euthanasia, Italians still think suicides are against god's will.

I think sometimes Americans have a romanticized opinion towards Europe. We have our tremendous flaws. You'll never experience the racism you experience in italy, poland, hungary in the USA. You'll never get taxed to 67,8%, you'll never have to sue your city because you died on a damaged street (happened in Rome).

Last edited:
Reactions: Ironweed
J

Jean Améry

Enlightened
Mar 17, 2019
There are 40- something countries in Europe and 3 where it's accepted in a very small number of cases, 'much more accepted' is really pushing it.

Excellent conclusion. I'm afraid it's wishful thinking that Europe is much more enlightened than the US. At least when it comes to that issue.

Like I hinted at in a previous post I think the reason for these supposedly liberal, humanitarian laws (while making it extremely hard in practice to actually die that way) is ironically suicide-prevention: if people think they can actually get euthanasia they'll be much less inclined to kill themselves and will likely retain hope for (much) longer. Mission accomplished. Some people are easily satisfied and will take an illusion over reality any day of the week.

There's a reason some psychiatrists are drawn to this kind of euthanasia: it gives them even more power (literally the power over life and death) and it validates their position as real physicians who can accurately gauge people's mental health and can decide rationally and scientifically when it's hopeless. In reality it's just their personal opinion and (one may hope) compassion with suffering souls who by that time have been strung on by the mental health system for way too long.

In my view doctors shouldn't be allowed to kill people (in whatever capacity) as it is their job to save lives. What should be legal is access to lethal, humane suicide-methods like nembutal. If for some reason people are too incapacitated to even swallow a trained, screened volunteer (no connection to the person whatsoever) should give them a lethal injection. It's really not necessary to go through medical school in order to be able to kill someone in a humane manner, especially if the proper means are available.

In most cases it's probably not even necessary to do it via injection: give them access to a well-filled morphine pump and leave the room and they'll simply do it themselves. Which is what suicide is: to kill oneself (sui = self/oneself, caedere = to slay, to kill).

Reactions: it's_all_a_game, 262653, notreallynow and 1 other person
Samsara

Samsara

Experienced
Mar 9, 2020
There might be clinics in Europe but general population is still against it, I've never met anyone in my life who was pro choice.

I wish I could remember the source, but I remember reading at one point (this was a fairly recent survey) that the majority of the population in one of those European countries (possibly Switzerland or Belgium?) supported euthanasia for unbearable mental illness