N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I mean drugs and medication can used me synonymously. I once used the term drugs for my medication and then the confusion started. I don't get it. It is really confusing. However we have a very similar term like drugstore in my language. This can also be quite misleading. It confused me as a little child. Lol.

• Yay!
Reactions: pikku.tiikeri
Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
Probably varies from culture to culture as well. But it seems that drugs has the broader connotation of including illicit and psychedelic substances as well as medication, whereas the latter specifically implies doctor-prescribed pills and potions.

There's similar weirdness around the words 'engine' and 'motor'. Engine is supposed to imply a fuel-driven combustion engine, while motor suggests an electric motor. But the world's traditional centre of internal-combustion vehicles is known as 'Motor City' (Detroit), its mainstay the motor car, and when complete combustion engines are sold, they are referred to as crate motors. So to summarise: anything goes.

• Yay!
Reactions: pikku.tiikeri and Angi
pikku.tiikeri

pikku.tiikeri

Apr 17, 2022
Drugs form a broad category of chemical substances that includes medicinal drugs or pharmaceutical drugs and other kinds of drugs, some of which are illegal or banned.

Drugs also include substances like alcohol, nicotine and caffeine. So by drinking wine or beer, smoking tobacco and even drinking coffee or tea, one is consuming drugs. šŸ˜‚

The best part? Sugar (or any other fructose-containing sweetener) can also be considered a drug, and an addictive one at that! šŸ¤£

Some substances blur the distinction between medicinal drugs and illicit drugs, or can be both at the same time, or they can keep moving between these two categories over time. Examples are marijuana, ketamine, fentanyl and what seems to be a favourite of everyone on this site, sodium pentobarbital. šŸ˜Š

• Informative
Reactions: Pluto