Suicidebydeath

Suicidebydeath

No chances to be happy - dead inside
Nov 25, 2021
Smiling can make someone appear more approachable. When someone is expressionless it can scare someone off, they might think the other person is angry or worse.

• Hugs
Reactions: ImsooDone1N, Someone123, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 1 other person
Weebster

Weebster

Everyone is alone. Everyone is empty.
Mar 11, 2022
Smiling can make someone appear more approachable. When someone is expressionless it can scare someone off, they might think the other person is angry or worse.
Worse? Huh?

S

Someone123

Illuminated
Oct 19, 2021
Worse? Huh?
Of course, if a person approaches you but they do not appear friendly, well this is how random attacks in public happen. In order to put a person at ease, if you are approaching someone you don't know, doing your best to appear friendly and non-threatening makes a big difference.

Reactions: ImsooDone1N and Suicidebydeath
W

waitingforrest

Elementalist
Dec 27, 2021
It's the ambiguity, people can't tell what a person is like and what they might be capable of. If you want to freak babies and share children away, just keep a blank face and tone, and also no reactions.

Maybe people think that receiving neutral to any attempt to interact means that the other person is indifferent or not caring. When people say something sad to another person, they expect to receive a sad facial expression. So showing no emotion might seem strange, or concerning.

S

Someone123

Illuminated
Oct 19, 2021
It's the ambiguity, people can't tell what a person is like and what they might be capable of. If you want to freak babies and share children away, just keep a blank face and tone, and also no reactions.

Maybe people think that receiving neutral to any attempt to interact means that the other person is indifferent or not caring. When people say something sad to another person, they expect to receive a sad facial expression. So showing no emotion might seem strange, or concerning.
Definitely- the most common thing you hear before random attcks on people is that they showed no emotion, it shows that they are detached from how other people around them feel.

whatevs

whatevs

Mining for copium in the weirdest places.
Jan 15, 2022
It signals that you're mentally ill, dangerous or just boring.

• Yay!
  • Wow
Reactions: Un-, WorthlessTrash, playing_ostrich and 2 others
Lebensunwertes

Lebensunwertes

Du bist auf dich allein gestellt
May 26, 2022
Lack of emotions on the face is insulting to most people. As one user mentioned earlier, you are supposed to react with your facial expression to the conversation whether it's something sad or comedic that is being mentioned. Being expressionless renders you awkward and closed to others. This is also because most people are entirely driven by emotions and they wouldn't be able to withhold them. It's a classic "not fitting with the crowd" thing.

• Hugs
Reactions: whatevs, playing_ostrich and Someone123
S

Someone123

Illuminated
Oct 19, 2021
Plus a stoic expression is often an indication that a person is trying to pretend that they didn't fart. that it must have been someone else.

• Yay!
  • Informative
Reactions: Un-, playing_ostrich and Lostandlooking
Weebster

Weebster

Mar 11, 2022
It signals that you're mentally ill, dangerous or just boring.
Lack of emotions on the face is insulting to most people. As one user mentioned earlier, you are supposed to react with your facial expression to the conversation whether it's something sad or comedic that is being mentioned. Being expressionless renders you awkward and closed to others. This is also because most people are entirely driven by emotions and they wouldn't be able to withhold them. It's a classic "not fitting with the crowd" thing.
Insulting? Wow. Great response though. Being expressionless has been a great shield for me.

S

Someone123

Illuminated
Oct 19, 2021
Insulting? Wow. Great response though. Being expressionless has been a great shield for me.
You so often complain of loneliness so that it seems that this has laso harmed you, who knows how many women you pass by while walking around who would become interested in you if you seem ed frinedly and approachable, but it is most like quite a few, and you only need to fall in lo0ve with one to alleviate so much of your loneliness.

Weebster

Weebster

Mar 11, 2022
You so often complain of loneliness so that it seems that this has laso harmed you, who knows how many women you pass by while walking around who would become interested in you if you seem ed frinedly and approachable, but it is most like quite a few, and you only need to fall in lo0ve with one to alleviate so much of your loneliness.
Being friendly and approachable puts me in a vulnerable position in regard to other men.

How would being friendly and approachable in public lead to anything but maybe a smile?

S

Someone123

Illuminated
Oct 19, 2021
Being friendly and approachable puts me in a vulnerable position in regard to other men.

How would being friendly and approachable in public lead to anything but maybe a smile?
Being friendly and approachable could lead to a conversation in a lot of ways, and this can lead to everything else. If you're having a nice conversation and she seems to like you you can ask for her phone number. It takes some practice to get these things down. Youtube is a great resource for something like this. If you search on youtube by "how to start a conversation with a stranger" there are many videos on this topic. There are all kinds of videos on this subject- or you can search by "how to start a conversation with a girl".. There are many videos on this subject. I would just say to just make yourself watch five or ten of these videos and then start trying things. This would work, but you need to be able to handle that some people won't want to talk without getting upset about it. With practice it will become easier to read people's facial expressions and body language to see which people are more approachable.
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Bec oming friends iwth other guys would be a good thing for you as well. If you mean other men hitting on you, you can learn how to quickly change your facial expressions and body language so that if a guy tries this you make it clear that there is no way and that they really need to keep their distance. But it is 5% or less of guys that are like this. But of couse meeting women is the main thing, because a relationship with a girl would be the best way to alleviate loneliness.

Last edited:
Reactions: Weebster
Sprite_Geist

Sprite_Geist

NULL
May 27, 2020
On the other side of the argument, though, certain individuals can find smiling strangers unsettling. You are "creepy" if you appear friendly, and you are "creepy" if you do not.

Lebensunwertes

Lebensunwertes

Du bist auf dich allein gestellt
May 26, 2022
On the other side of the argument, though, certain individuals can find smiling strangers unsettling. You are "creepy" if you appear friendly, and you are "creepy" if you do not.
Only an exaggerated smile is creepy and that's because it's simply unnatural. Just raising the corners of your mouth makes you appear less hostile, seemingly outlines your intentions, etc. I think people associate blank facial expression with dismissive attitude. That is when the person participates in some social activity. When there's no interactions the expressions generally don't matter.
I think so, yes. If somebody tells a joke, talks about something they're passionate about and you do not react with certain facial expressions they may deem it rude/insulting.

S

Someone123

Illuminated
Oct 19, 2021
You need to be able to readf body language and facial expressikons and to approach people carefully to see how theyy react, and to look at the situation and see if it seems natural to try saying something, and then go from there carefully. The better you get at reading people's tone of voice, etc. the more careful you can be about this, so that you can leave people alone who want to be left alone and so that you can get to know people who are open this. Based on op's post he really does need to learn a lot about how to get to know people to do well at this, and that's why reviewing videos on this subject on yhoutibe could really help a lot. It becomes a lot easier with practice.

Weebster

Weebster

Mar 11, 2022
I think maybe my hyper vigilance level is so high that I'm reading a lot of facial expressions as hostile, especially if the expressions aren't positive but neutral.

S

Someone123

Illuminated
Oct 19, 2021
I think maybe my hyper vigilance level is so high that I'm reading a lot of facial expressions as hostile, especially if the expressions aren't positive but neutral.
There are many videos on youtube if you search by "how to read facial expressions" which could be helpful.

Reactions: Weebster