I

In-between

Oct 26, 2023
Hi Everyone. I'm new here and after reading quite a few threads, thought I would introduce myself.

I've been looking for this place since reading about the death of someone linked to the site. As some have touched on already, it's kind of ironic that the way I was finally able to find this community and therefore the method, was by following clues in Tantacrul's video (which I found after the BBC story). I was initially of a negative opinion (from Tantacrul), but I have to say I think media depictions of it are generally unfair and derived from moral panic rather than trying to get a true picture of it. It's really wonderful to see so many messages of support and I hope to be part of this community.

I've struggled with thoughts of suicide since I was a child, although of course 'thoughts of suicide' is a phrase that I repeat to mental health professionals while cursing myself that it doesn't show even 1% of the true nature and magnitude of this.

My first attempt was at 16 years old and I came quite close to dying. Throughout the next decade, I had frequent episodes of depression. Then, a few years ago I had a severe mental health crisis where I went from my 'normal' of occasional thoughts, to about two years of bombarding pulls to suicide. I say 'pull' because that's how it felt. It was like I was being dragged towards a cliff edge. My suicide felt inevitable. I love my children with all my heart but at the worst points, I couldn't feel connected to them and genuinely believed they would be better without me. I used to search online for stories of people who had lost a parent to suicide. In the beginning, I was looking for 'I was upset but soon moved on and had a happy life' type stories, but then story after story showed me the reality…that my death would traumatise so many, including my children.

I read a story about a man who planned to end his life in a way that no one would be harmed. He couldn't find anywhere, to summarise, and eventually decided that as there was no way he could die and not hurt people (even medical staff, police etc) he'd end the life he was leading instead of life full stop. He totally changed his life. I'm not saying this in some superficial 'pro life' way, just that this man's story inspired me to live.

Anyway, this is all to say, I try to live but at times like these when my mood dips, it scares me. Suicide seemed to weave its way into my mind at a young age and frankly, this site scares me because I now know about SN and have easier routes to death than before. If I'd had access to a site like this at 16, I'd definitely be dead.

For what it's worth, I think this community is important and that regulators shouldn't shut it down. For one, it'll only lead to a cat and mouse game. Secondly, being able to speak about suicide openly is so important and yet the general public, mental health services and the like just don't do it well. I don't feel comfortable with talk about methods, but then I don't want people disabled and chronically ill by attempts that go wrong. What I would hope is that people will find reasons on this site and in the bigger world to live. When I am at my worst (in pain) I tell myself my only job that day is to stay alive. I don't have to clean, or brush my teeth or smile or be nice…I just have to live.

I would advocate for the site not being public access. As I said, if I found this site as a teenager, I would be dead. Making it members only might have negatives I haven't thought about, but it would stop children accessing it and people in crisis from finding methods so easily. I don't find it easy, but I try to respect people's wishes who decide to CTB. There's a difference though between acting on impulse (which is more likely with easy access to methods) and making an informed decision after much thought and with a 'cool' mind (I.e. not in the heat of the moment).

My final thought after reading a real-time CTB post is, that's a hell of a lot for you guys to deal with. What are people's thoughts on contagion theory, I.e. that being exposed to this type of thing (an actual death), might increase the hopelessness and inevitability that people feel and therefore increase the likelihood of others following? No one has to answer that of course and I guess I'm just saying I hope you're all doing as well as can be (given your own hardships) after people who have posted here then CTB.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: cheese.out, DeadlineDialer and Praestat_Mori
WAITING TO DIE

WAITING TO DIE

TORMENTED
Sep 30, 2023
This site is actually A SUPPORT FORUM, yet people usually always fail to recognise this fact.
This site is the ONLY place I can come to for support without having pro - life philosophies and empty platitudes thrown at me.
And when I say support I am talking about EMPATHY.

Last edited:
Reactions: cheese.out, DeadlineDialer, roach32 and 4 others
I

In-between

Oct 26, 2023
This site is actually A SUPPORT FORUM, yet people usually always fail to recognise this fact.
This site is the ONLY place I can come to for support without having pro - life philosophies and empty platitudes thrown at me.
And when I say support I am talking about EMPATHY.
I'm sorry it's your only place but I am glad you have somewhere. I definitely see the huge support for each other.

Reactions: WAITING TO DIE
tiger b

tiger b

AI without the I
Oct 24, 2023
Hi

"What I would hope is that people will find reasons on this site and in the bigger world to live."

Hmmmmmm.

I'll side-step that.

I'd say this, already: I could have done with a place like this when I was a teen - the actual support part. I'd have realised that many go through similar things to what I did, and would have been less naive about life outside abuse when I did make my 'escape'. It would have helped greatly and probably made me less selfish.

Honestly? You write like an academic. I hope you genuinely wish to contribute not just research (or worse) and the somewhat cynical whiff I'm experiencing is influenced by my lunch approaching. It's inevitable those with an agenda will come here.

I

In-between

Oct 26, 2023
Hi

"What I would hope is that people will find reasons on this site and in the bigger world to live."

Hmmmmmm.

I'll side-step that.

I'd say this, already: I could have done with a place like this when I was a teen - the actual support part. I'd have realised that many go through similar things to what I did, and would have been less naive about life outside abuse when I did make my 'escape'. It would have helped greatly and probably made me less selfish.

Honestly? You write like an academic. I hope you genuinely wish to contribute not just research (or worse) and the somewhat cynical whiff I'm experiencing is influenced by my lunch approaching. It's inevitable those with an agenda will come here.
No, no…no agenda. It's just the way I think and express myself. Maybe I'm neurodivergent, I don't know. But yes, I'd really value being part of this community. I don't find it easy fitting in generally.

Reactions: WAITING TO DIE and tiger b
deadbody

deadbody

he/him 🏳️‍⚧️
Oct 24, 2023
But yes, I'd really value being part of this community. I don't find it easy fitting in generally
Anyway, welcome. Don't be afraid to speak your mind. <3

Reactions: WAITING TO DIE, tiger b and In-between
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
The reality is that not everyone wants to exist here, I don't understand the people who assume that existence is automatically a desirable state for everyone, as not everyone is them. I also don't get the people who want to make suicide purposely difficult and inaccessible as that just leads to more suffering, fair enough if they want to continue existing but other people's decisions aren't theirs to make.

The suicide discussion exists to give suicidal people a place to vent and discuss suicide methods away from pro-lifers and their worship of life that they like to force onto other people, just because you see death as so bad doesn't mean that view applies to everyone else.

In my case I will always see it as preferable to not exist as one cannot suffer from the absence of everything, it comforts me the thought of permanently not existing. Having the option to permanently prevent all future unnecessary suffering should be the most basic human right as after all, we were all unfortunate enough to be burdened with this existence in the first place. Nobody should have to suffer against their wishes and struggle to die just because other people want to stay here.

tiger b

tiger b

AI without the I
Oct 24, 2023
I apologise for the slight suspicions, and I hope you feel you're in the right place for you.

Reactions: deadbody and In-between
I

In-between

Oct 26, 2023
Anyway, welcome. Don't be afraid to speak your mind. <3
Thank you. I appreciate the warm welcome.
I apologise for the slight suspicions, and I hope you feel you're in the right place for you.
No apology needed. When I read your message, I reflected that my post sounded a bit like a scientist observing a group of people. I had been observing, as in reading posts before registering, and I guess I thought I should share my thoughts as it might be good for some to read that an opinion had changed having come here. Anyway, I'll stop rambling. Thank you for your welcome.
The reality is that not everyone wants to exist here, I don't understand the people who assume that existence is automatically a desirable state for everyone, as not everyone is them. I also don't get the people who want to make suicide purposely difficult and inaccessible as that just leads to more suffering, fair enough if they want to continue existing but other people's decisions aren't theirs to make.

The suicide discussion exists to give suicidal people a place to vent and discuss suicide methods away from pro-lifers and their worship of life that they like to force onto other people, just because you see death as so bad doesn't mean that view applies to everyone else.

In my case I will always see it as preferable to not exist as one cannot suffer from the absence of everything, it comforts me the thought of permanently not existing. Having the option to permanently prevent all future unnecessary suffering should be the most basic human right as after all, we were all unfortunate enough to be burdened with this existence in the first place. Nobody should have to suffer against their wishes and struggle to die just because other people want to stay here.
I agree with you on many points there. I'm not going to get into politics and philosophy too much, but I personally believe people have the right to do with their lives, bodies etc as they choose…so long it doesn't harm anyone else. Not harming is pretty straight forward in terms of someone dying alone rather than blowing themselves up in a crowded area, but it's less straightforward when considering less direct harm. I try not to judge as I know that what one person sees as right or wrong, may be different to someone else.

I don't see death as bad. I don't see any 'point' in life or in fact believe humans would ever have the ability to understand such purpose if it even existed. But I also don't take the antinatalism approach. In fact, that philosophy was introduced to me by an abusive therapist who, when I was desperately trying not to die for my kids' sake, made me feel like a heinous person for getting pregnant.

I respect that existence is not what you wish for. I think there are lots of different uses of this forum and people don't have to be pro-death to participate. I dislike absolutism but if I had to, I'd say I'm pro-choice.

Last edited:
Reactions: deadbody and tiger b