Dec 9, 2019
-

• Love
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, SuicidalSymphonies, Circles and 3 others
Grav

Grav

Wizard
Jul 26, 2020
I think it has to do with facing the reality that there are people who don't fit into the mold. Once realized then it brings up other questions that are uncomfortable. Like when a family just doesn't discuss "drunk uncle jim" even though they see him because then they'd feel the need to address the problem. Just on a bigger scale. At least that's how I feel when I witness the reaction of most people.

• Love
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, Leshen, Sprite_Geist and 8 others
E

esse_est_percipi

Enlightened
Jul 14, 2020
Because society itself, the existence of society, is a defense against death and extinction.
Suicide is the ultimate 'no' to society and ultimately a rejection of humanity.

Society and suicide are incompatible, in a way they are at war.
I know who I side with.

Reactions: it's_all_a_game, Swabbie, freefrommybody and 7 others
Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
I think there's a multitude of reasons: people don't want to be reminded of their mortality; it's in conflict with the strongest human instinct, i.e. to survive; it goes against the idea that the population of a nation or even mankind as a whole must proliferate; the old Christian notion that suicide is a sin is still widespread, although mostly on a subconscious level; and so on and so forth.

• Love
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, Circles, puppy9 and 4 others
so tired or manic

so tired or manic

Arcanist
Jun 12, 2020
ignorance is bliss

Reactions: pthnrdnojvsc, Circles, Sensei and 1 other person
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
As for society, yes @Sensei nailed it, due to religion. Also, even today with pseudosciences like psychiatry and psychology out there, some of the old religious values have been rebranded and repackaged into this new secular religion. I see psychiatry more as a means of social control and social conformity to the social order. It is a way to keep people in line with what the status quo is.

Reactions: Circles, puppy9, _Minsk and 2 others
Deleted member 17949

Deleted member 17949

Visionary
May 9, 2020
I think people are somewhat offended by the idea of having to explain why life is worth living. Even mentally healthy people have to find positivity in life for it to seem worth it, and when you are trying to live life happily it may come off as toxic when someone is talking about how they don't find life to be worth living. When people have gotten annoyed with me over suicidal thoughts I've always got the impression that they just hate me questioning whether life is good. In their eyes it should be obvious that life has value and suicide is bad.

• Hugs
Reactions: VIBRITANNIA, lostangel, Circles and 2 others
Belit667

Belit667

Experienced
Aug 2, 2020
@cryptic__egg Religious reasons mosly. This is the lasts time I talk about religion. Mods hunt me down in order to ban me for talking about religion so I will shut my trap now.

Shinkansen

Shinkansen

life is pain
Jul 14, 2020
because every suicide is one less person who works and pays taxes.

• Love
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, Mila, VIBRITANNIA and 8 others
Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
I see psychiatry more as a means of social control and social conformity to the social order. It is a way to keep people in line with what the status quo is.

So when a psychiatrist is trying to help someone with schizophrenia to stop hallucinating, it's nothing more than an exercise in social control?

Reactions: Circles, puppy9, nerve and 1 other person
Belit667

Belit667

Experienced
Aug 2, 2020
So when a psychiatrist is trying to help someone with schizophrenia to stop hallucinating, it's nothing more than an exercise in social control?

No, some psychiatrists do want to help people in need.

Reactions: Circles, puppy9, Skathon and 1 other person
A

AllReturnsToNothing

I'm useless
Aug 5, 2020
This is the way the system was designed to work in the first place. The need to weed out the weak was always seen as a necessary to keep the endless capital machine running. And to keep it that way, everybody is told to look towards band-aid solutions (often which are financially preditory) instead of looking inwards at the underlying problems the system was built upon in the first place and working to change things for the better.

• Love
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, Skathon, Sprite_Geist and 2 others
nerve

nerve

fat cringey shut-in
Jun 19, 2019
As a rule, we (humanity) usually don't like talking about death in general. Suicide is essentially looking right at death and being like "sign me the fuck up" and I get how that might amplify the natural discomfort a lot people feel around dying.

I think death, but suicide especially, makes people uncomfortable and activates a caveman part of the brain that wants us to get as far away from the negative (and potentially dangerous) stimuli as possible.

• Love
Reactions: lostangel, Wayfaerer, Sprite_Geist and 3 others
Fear191829218

Fear191829218

Jun 16, 2020
I think its because with suicide, you are leaving society. Everyone struggles in life, even the non suicidal ones. But they just are able to convince themselves that there is some purpose, some meaning to life. Talking about suicide will make them see the other reality, feel the pain and meaningless of life.

Reactions: Swabbie, Skathon, Sprite_Geist and 1 other person
Wayfaerer

Wayfaerer

JFMSUF
Aug 21, 2019
Suicide costs the state money so we can't have any of that. Point is, the state needs to keep people alive!

Reactions: it's_all_a_game, Skathon, Sprite_Geist and 2 others
C

Circles

Visionary
Sep 3, 2018
People just can't accept reality. As soon as they're confronted with the possibility of suicide it's like it leaves an almost dispiriting opened door that they choose to resist. It's like how atleast in my opinion I believe most people don't even question their lives let alone question what's the point of it all. It's basically the survival instinct trying to find a way to continue even when confronted with the truth.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Swabbie, Weeping Garbage Can, Skathon and 1 other person