Kramer

Kramer

Nervous wreck
Oct 27, 2020
Dying in my teens when I believed in heaven would've been better and easier. Aging is depressing as hell.

• Hugs
Reactions: SalirDeLaMelancolía, Arvinneedstodie and NodusTollens
F

flyaway2

Nov 12, 2020
Because as you age, you get many reasons to realise you are supposed to stay alive. They call it the grace of God. Something hard to comprehend if you believe you can open your mouth, shut your eyes, shake your legs and arms all at the same time because of evolution.

Kramer

Kramer

Nervous wreck
Oct 27, 2020
Because as you age, you get many reasons to realise you are supposed to stay alive. They call it the grace of God. Something hard to comprehend if you believe you can open your mouth, shut your eyes, shake your legs and arms all at the same time because of evolution.
Delusional

Cluesome
Apr 5, 2018
I'm assuming that people generally get less impulsive with age, more emotionally hardened and/or stable. I think emotions are what drive people to ctb. I had some triggers in the past that were motivating me to go for attempts, but those triggers have no considerable effect on me anymore. It's like my subconscious mind makes hotfixes to ensure the stability of mind in the face of life-threatening stimuli.

Reactions: Good4Nothing, NodusTollens, Donk and 2 others
T

ts0hill

Victim of the pharmaceutical industry
Oct 17, 2020
It might be easier for younger people because the prefrontal cortex isn't developed yet untill age 25 which is impulse control decision making so if you are older you are more likely to think more about everything than just doing it. Also maybe because someone who is older would have already done it when they were younger if they were going to ctb... that is saying if they were experiencing pain when they were younger to the same extent

Last edited:
Reactions: Donk and Kramer
NodusTollens

NodusTollens

Nov 17, 2020
I think it's because you develop more life connections & responsibilities. As you age you add more distractions (people) to your hierarchy (for ease of explanation, let's say it's a list).

CTB has always been on the list for me, but as I've gotten older, it's gotten bumped down by something more pressing at the time (work, school, people, goals); so though it may not always be top 3 in all cases, depending on stress & other factors, it can move up or down the list.

That's how I make sense of it.

Reactions: Apathy's Girl
Kramer

Kramer

Nervous wreck
Oct 27, 2020
I think it's because you develop more life connections & responsibilities. As you age you add more distractions (people) to your hierarchy (for ease of explanation, let's say it's a list).

CTB has always been on the list for me, but as I've gotten older, it's gotten bumped down by something more pressing at the time (work, school, people, goals); so though it may not always be top 3 in all cases, depending on stress & other factors, it can move up or down the list.

That's how I make sense of it.
I'm a neet and have no one in my life except a few people I text

• Hugs
Reactions: I screwed up
Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020
Yeah in my teens I would do stuff cold turkey I can't even do now, SI gets harder as we get older. I also noticed that in me....

Reactions: Kramer
M

Mercury6737

Sep 21, 2018
That's assuming CTB does get harder with age. CDC data says that suicide is a leading case of death (top 5) until around age 55. It seems that suicide only decreases because "natural" causes like cancer and heart disease take over, not that it decreases with age if we're restricting the cause to suicide. See the following (https://afsp.org/suicide-statistics/) : "In 2018, the suicide rates were higher among adults ages 45 to 54 years (20.04 per 100,000) and 55 to 64 years (20.20 per 100,000), with the rate highest among adults ages 52 to 59 years (21.56 per 100,000). Younger groups have had consistently lower suicide rates than middle-aged and older adults."

• Love
Reactions: Isadeth, Coffeandamug and AutoTap
G

Ghost2211

Archangel
Jan 20, 2020
It gets easier for me with age. I would not like being elderly.

• Love
Reactions: Mthom2, Good4Nothing, Coffeandamug and 3 others
C

Coffeandamug

Words are quite useless, and so am I.
Oct 22, 2020
That's assuming CTB does get harder with age. CDC data says that suicide is a leading case of death (top 5) until around age 55. It seems that suicide only decreases because "natural" causes like cancer and heart disease take over, not that it decreases with age if we're restricting the cause to suicide. See the following (https://afsp.org/suicide-statistics/) : "In 2018, the suicide rates were higher among adults ages 45 to 54 years (20.04 per 100,000) and 55 to 64 years (20.20 per 100,000), with the rate highest among adults ages 52 to 59 years (21.56 per 100,000). Younger groups have had consistently lower suicide rates than middle-aged and older adults."
Yes, thanks for this. I would have typed a comment like yours if you hadn't done it. I am 24 now and it seems to be getting easier for me, to accept the idea that I will cbt some day not very far from now. But this is my personal experience, and I woudn't assume any standards based only in my experience.

T

ts0hill

Victim of the pharmaceutical industry
Oct 17, 2020
Interesting.. so older people die more often of ctb but it's not listed as a leading cause of death since they die of other stuff as well? It makes sense actually

Last edited:
Gromit-CTB

Gromit-CTB

time for ctb
Nov 14, 2020
I would try to ctb when I was younger more on impulse now being in late 40s I only want one more go so am trying (not easy) to plan better.

Reactions: ts0hill
J

JustABunchOfAtoms

She/they
Jul 23, 2020
Last edited:
All washed up

All washed up

Experienced
Oct 31, 2020
It is a myth, when a young person dies its always in the news particularly if it's an attractive woman. You'll generally get the parents friends etc all commenting and so few young people die of other things it's newsworthy.
Older people especially if their own parents are dead and don't have children it's really not particularly newsworthy as well as older people dying of things all the time anyway.
I do hope I'm wrong but the way the world is going I can see older suicides rising rapidly

B

Brokenwithbpd

Mage
Jun 15, 2020
I should have done it years ago. Biggest regret