Uninfluential_Karma

Uninfluential_Karma

Rat Cult Leader
Aug 5, 2024
Why do some people appear to be hung backwards? By that I mean that they face the knot of the noose instead of the typical way I imagine. Their head often looks to face upwards instead of down. Why do some people do this? Is it more affective? Is it just personal preference? Does the body just shift to this position sometimes?

LookingFrPeace

LookingFrPeace

Aug 3, 2024
iirc the purpose of hanging is to suffocate the carotid artery and blocking the blood flow to your brain thus making you pass out. The artery is located in the more front part of your neck so hanging backward seems counterproductive.

• Informative
Reactions: Uninfluential_Karma
Upvote 0
Uninfluential_Karma

Uninfluential_Karma

Rat Cult Leader
Aug 5, 2024
Personally, I've never seen this.
I agree that it is not the norm in any way. Personally I've seen it very few times on a few gore websites and most videos don't even have context if it was a suicide or murder. It just looks a bit more peaceful to me but i didn't know if something like that was affective or relatively quick.

Reactions: locked*n*loaded
Upvote 0
R

rozeske

Maybe I am the problem
Dec 2, 2023
I've seen a few. If i have to guess it has to do with being more "comfortable" or less pressure on the wind pipe. But it is arranged like that from the beginning, I don't think the position shifts in such a manner after death.

Upvote 0
Worndown

Worndown

Visionary
Mar 21, 2019
While this would allow you to breath, it also allows you to hang there longer while conscious.
Have the knot in the back, somewhere between the ears, and you will pass out faster. That should be the goal.
The videos labeled with terrible comments usually have the knot in the front.
Watch and learn.

Upvote 0
Evelyn Lane

Evelyn Lane

banned
Aug 2, 2024
Why do some people appear to be hung backwards? By that I mean that they face the knot of the noose instead of the typical way I imagine. Their head often looks to face upwards instead of down. Why do some people do this? Is it more affective? Is it just personal preference? Does the body just shift to this position sometimes?
Yeah, I'd strongly advice against that technique. The reason is because if you put the knot in the front or on your sides you don't fully block your carotids. I've seen videos of people not passing out peacefully because they placed the knot in a bad place. Just a heads up for ya!

Upvote 0
T

TheDruBo

Orange, I guess.
Jan 25, 2024
This is the correct way according to Geo Stone's book "Suicide and Attempted Suicide". The side opposite the knot produces the most pressure, so less pressure on the windpipe. That is the theory anyway.

Upvote 0