N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I mean I have experienced this with many series. Not all though.
I have the feeling some series get used as cash cows. There is certain dilemma when someone produces art or creative material.
Shall the product be as good as possible or does it need to be financially the most successful?
I think Netflix made something really bold some years ago. They invested crazy amounts of money into high quality series like House of Cards. FInancially very very risky. And they had huge success. But this could have backfired hard. They revolutionized the business. Now they struggle too much. The market is too full with hard competitors.

They need money, money and money. This is probably the answer of the title. To prolong succesful series in order to squeeze the last cent.
So many series got ruined because of that. I have quit them after it went down. Maybe they regained their old quality but I doubt it.

The Simpsons. Who is still watching that? The last episodes I watched were horrible. But that is some years ago.

House Of Cards the last season was trash. It really gave me the feeling to quit such series in general which I did

The Walking Dead. I want to know how that shit ends. But they prolonged it more and more. I did a research it will end this year. I think the quality could have been way better with less seasons.

In order to get as much money as possible the companies choose quantity over quality. When Netflix started they did not have to do it. But due to the market with much competition they are forced to do so.

Can you add some series where you could observe similar things? Lack of quality while the series got one more series after another. And the consumers still buy it. Sad.

Last edited:
Reactions: Neneko Izumozaki, Mr_House and 7b48hl
abyss

abyss

Jul 13, 2022
Only so many stories you can tell, Flanderization, loss of creative spark, change in writing/production team, meddling from the executives (tied in with money/ratings), the cast/crew are just tired and want to do something else, peaking too early, writing themselves into a corner and coming up with plot contrivances, writers/directors develop ego problems, internal conflict, popular character's actor doesn't want to return, no forward planning etc.
No shortage of examples, Arrested Development (the Netflix seasons), Peep Show, Leftovers, Community, Sopranos.

Reactions: akana, Neneko Izumozaki, Mr_House and 2 others
leeloosnow

leeloosnow

Warlock
Aug 28, 2022
yea i was just talking with a friend about that yesterday. it's rare a show catches my interest and the novelty tends to wear off pretty quick. i'd say also... breaking bad, drwho, the end of the f**** world, even bojack horseman started to loose steam but at least they had the sense to end it. how apropos.

Reactions: Mr_House
Celerity

Celerity

shape without form, shade without colour
Jan 24, 2021
Only so many stories you can tell, Flanderization, loss of creative spark, change in writing/production team, meddling from the executives (tied in with money/ratings), the cast/crew are just tired and want to do something else, peaking too early, writing themselves into a corner and coming up with plot contrivances, writers/directors develop ego problems, internal conflict, popular character's actor doesn't want to return, no forward planning etc.
No shortage of examples, Arrested Development (the Netflix seasons), Peep Show, Leftovers, Community, Sopranos.
Covered all the bases here.

Reactions: Mr_House