N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
Not sure about the translation.

I ask me that question sometimes. Especially when I think about David Foster Wallace for example. He was heavily into hard drugs which ruined his whole life. He was exceptionally smart but he took hard drugs even when he was pretty young. Despite the fact it is a well-known fact how dangerous certain drugs are when your brain is still in development. Even when his nervous system was already ruined he took cocaine despite the fact it is well-known longterm usage increases depressive symptoms.

Maybe one has to emphasize that intelligence is not equivalent to wisdom. But also certain personality traits can influence such decisions. Some people get super-rich with their risky business plans and other people it drives to commit suicide. I think I read Elon Musk once did a very dangerous decision and in case it backfired he could have went to prison. So success in life is probaby to a huge percentage luck dependent.

Moreover such detrimental decision can be the result of huge stress which demands an impulsive action. We usually don't have the time everyday to rationally plan all of our decisions. Also because of inter-subjectivity we are not fully aware about all the factors. We cannot rationally analyze all possibilities of our actions. Life is way too complex for doing that. Emotions and feelings can get in our way.

And maybe important for many people here in the forum who blame themselves for bad decisions. Sometimes abuse can lead to counterproductive and self-destructive behaviors. I have a lot of them. Though I could battle some of them in psychotherapy and when I tried to analyze them and find strategies against my vulnerabilities this helped so far. Moreover when I was manic or psychotic I could not think straight. But also in depression I had some pathological behaviors. After my manic episodes I crashed into depression. And being in a depression always made me feel so guilty. I wanted to say goodbye to many of my material possessions. And I sold a lot of stuff. Some for way too few euros. I regret some decisions. And I am still angry about my behavior to that time. However I felt horrendous and in that moment it felt completely like the right thing to do.

So mental illness can be a cause for bad decisions. Besides high intelligence can lead to megalomania. And this is the second tim I think of Elon Musk in that context. In this instance his megalomanic plans of buying Twitter probably stemmed of arrogance. So success can make you pretty arrogant and you overestimate your skills due to it.

I have an acquaintance who is pretty much into conspiracies. He went down some wrong rabbit holes and know believes in a pretty ridiculous world view. He clearly is not stupid but his beliefs are absurd. I think some environmental factors played a role in that. He always wanted to be an outsider. He wants to feel superior to the people around him and conspiracies can give him exactly that feeling. You belong to the group who has seen through the characd. You are not a sheep you are not as naive as all these idiots. I think he really has such a desire for the sentiment of feeling superior. I think this is another reason why he is so obsessed of IQ. He was also abused as a child like me. And this can completely ruin a person. For me it helps to remind myself I am not responsible for a lot of shit in my life. I did not fuck it up. Others did that for me.

What do you think?

Reactions: Jarni
jodes2

jodes2

Hello people ❤️
Aug 28, 2022
Yeah what you wrote makes perfect sense.

Unfortunately you gotta take risks in life. The trick is choosing the right ones so you always stay in the positive, metaphorically speaking

Al_stargate

Al_stargate

I was once a pretty angel
Mar 4, 2022
Yea, I considered myself smart and rational and achieved many things in my life. Until I made one stupid decision that ruined my life. The key is to have good meaning people around with whom you can bounce ideas of. When we're alone we make bad decisions sometimes because we have no feedback loop.

buyersremorse

buyersremorse

useless
Feb 16, 2023
This reminds me of a reddit post I came across a while ago that kind of explains why smart people often do silly things;

It seems a bit different to what you've described though, but still an interesting post if you want to look into it.