• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

ericwilkinson

ericwilkinson

Jun 25, 2019
For example if you talk back to your parents in some cultures, youre considered spoiled. If you criticise them, you're spoiled.

Why in general does society not like spoiled people?

Reactions: lostangel and Slate128
blanketyblk

blanketyblk

Mage
Jun 9, 2019
I generally dislike those who are entitled because they never had to struggle to find there place in the world. to most of them, life is a grand adventure. where they go from one success to another. and if they happen to fall down. they have a safety net of people around them to pull them back up.

so to me. if you have an entitled life. then you get to have a life without ever having to take of your training wheels.

Reactions: Empty Smile, puppy9, lovemelovemenot and 1 other person
not_a_robot

not_a_robot

"i hope the leaving is joyful, & never to return"
May 30, 2019
"Spoiled" is really a matter of perspective. Most people are struggling even if we can't see it.
Half of my shrinks cry when I talk to them and say I've had one of the shittiest lives they've heard of; the insecure ones just get offended that I've managed to stay confident despite it and call me spoiled, like my life must have been wonderful just because I had it beaten into me to "act normal" (which I really don't succeed at anyway).
Peoples' own insecurity always makes it seem like others' lives are easier by comparison. But very few people have "easy" lives.

Reactions: Empty Smile, puppy9 and AtomicNewt
K

Kuolema

Student
Jun 27, 2019
I suppose it all comes down to being grateful for what you have, because there are people in the world who are starving, have aids, are quadriplegic etc etc. I try my best to not act entitled, but it's really hard sometimes. I know that I'm really lucky to be born in a rich country and not be poor or ill, yet I'm still depressed and feel empty inside. I'm stuck with this awful feeling that the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. Fuck, just thinking about this makes me feel guilty. If there is one thing that cuts deeper than anything else, it's being told to be grateful by someone less fortunate than me. I don't think it's a bad thing to stigmatize acting spoiled, it helps keep things in perspective. However I also think that we should try to sympathize as much as possible and not try to belittle other people's hardships. It's a fine line between checking someone's privilege and just being an arsehole.

Reactions: 262653 and RM5998
O

oopswronglife

Elementalist
Jun 27, 2019
Those terms can be used incorrectly, as weapons, like any other label. If someone is genuinely both then the answer is self evident. The problem is both labels are thrown around so often, to try and minimize or hurt someone who is truly neither or to push political agendas, that it creates an emotional response when people hear them.

Last edited:
Reactions: cornflowerblue, Orin and RM5998
AtomicNewt

AtomicNewt

A girl doesn't need anyone who doesn't need her
Jun 5, 2019
Are you defining spoilt as talking back to or criticising your parents? I've sure as hell managed both those but can't ever imagine I've been considered spolit.

Why do I not like people I define as spoilt/entitled? Because they're annoying and narcissistic? That or I'm seething with envy and resentment. Who knows, could be both :wink:

Last edited:
Reactions: SinisterKid and Soul
RM5998

RM5998

Sack of Meat
Sep 3, 2018
Those terms can be used incorrectly, as weapons, like any other label. If someone is genuinely both then the answer is self evident. The problem is both labels are thrown around so often, to try and minimize or hurt someone who is truly neither or to push political agendas, that it creates an emotional response when people hear them.
<Rant>
It's just like what happened to the word 'awesome'. Or 'depressed'. Or 'sociopath'. The usage of descriptive words in areas where they imply an emotion more than a description, in a casual manner, with no regard for what it does to the language.
We're headed towards Newspeak here. We won't need to abridge the dictionary. We'll just abuse words till they become independent of consciousness. Nothing we say will carry any weight, because we've robbed words of their power to mean anything to anyone.
Sorry, I've wanted to say that for a while.
</Rant>

Reactions: Divine Trinity, 262653 and oopswronglife

Cluesome
Apr 5, 2018
For the same reason people don't like spoiled food, I guess. I don't like it either... I would also dislike food that thinks too much of itself. Your destiny is to get devoured, end of discussion.

Divine Trinity

Divine Trinity

Pugna Vigil
Mar 20, 2019
<Rant>
It's just like what happened to the word 'awesome'. Or 'depressed'. Or 'sociopath'. The usage of descriptive words in areas where they imply an emotion more than a description, in a casual manner, with no regard for what it does to the language.
We're headed towards Newspeak here. We won't need to abridge the dictionary. We'll just abuse words till they become independent of consciousness. Nothing we say will carry any weight, because we've robbed words of their power to mean anything to anyone.
Sorry, I've wanted to say that for a while.
</Rant>
We've long had newspeak, the word itself is somewhat ironic.
For example if you talk back to your parents in some cultures, youre considered spoiled. If you criticise them, you're spoiled.

Why in general does society not like spoiled people?
"Society" loves certain spoiled people, they're called nobles and aristocrats, every country has them. If you're a "mere pessant" that expects you and others to be treated with some standard of decency then the dogs start barking, that's all it is really.

I've yet to find a moral-based justification for having children, especially because, to be frank, most people are in no right or reason to have them. At the end of the day anarchist have the power-dynamics right, figures of authority do not like to be challenged, and will use all of their leverage to avoid that scenario.

Parenting seems to be the most problematic seeing how the parent-child dynamic has been traditionally authoritarian for the common person. Because society categorizes children as temporary sub-humans, and most dissenting adults invert their initial view on the matter or ignore the problem all-together. The child is in a way the epitome of subservance to a higher power, they have no way by law or nature to resist, and even less so against parental figures. This in no way legitimizes the authoritarian role of traditional parenting.

The feminist case for abortion "rights" only further exasperates this issue. While I have an overall neutral (not objective) opinion on the matter, I do find the argument they've chosen concerning. Essentially their "pro-choice" argument claims the developing child is naturally the woman's property due to its lack of autonomy, and the inherent burden of motherhood, therefore they have a right to "terminate" the yet-to-be child as a matter of neccessity OR convenience. This framing sets so many potentially dystopian precedences I sometimes wonder what, if at all, these people are thinking.

Last edited:
Reactions: RM5998
K

Kmf123

Jun 28, 2019
I would say spoiled can be interpreted many different ways. For me, someone spoiled is getting everything they want without gratitude and/or hard work.

Entitled means the same. You dont work for what you want, its expected. By work I dont mean just employment either.

I personally don't hate anyone who is spoiled or entitled but its annoying that someone doesn't have to go through all the struggles that most people do.