DoNotLet2

DoNotLet2

Wizard
Oct 14, 2019

So trigger warning: mentions suicide, anorexia nervosa, 9/11 of 2001st, aggresive men, jumping from the bridge.

It kinda helped me understand why I can't kill myself. I am simply a coward XD
It is an interesting lecture for me. I always thought that people die from anorexia nervosa due to starvation but they mostly die to suicide.
But... Such a pity he talked like all suicidal people were sick. He didn't mention that some of us are simply suffering way more than a human being is able to withstand. Besides that he made a few good points. I wish someday people will be more open about talking about endless pain...

• Love
Reactions: Infinite Conscious, Superdeterminist, DFFP and 1 other person
R

rt1989526

Paragon
Aug 2, 2020
Always laugh when people who've never been thru it act like they understand it.

Reactions: Wayfaerer, Lost in a Dream, Skathon and 3 others
H

heraclitus

Student
May 22, 2020
So, he doesn't see it as a powerful statement of your right and ability to determine your fate on a time and at a date of your choosing? An acknowledgement of your own inner strength of conviction?

Reactions: Wayfaerer, Skathon and sleep_dealer
Superdeterminist

Superdeterminist

Enlightened
Apr 5, 2020

So trigger warning: mentions suicide, anorexia nervosa, 9/11 of 2001st, aggresive men, jumping from the bridge.

It kinda helped me understand why I can't kill myself. I am simply a coward XD
It is an interesting lecture for me. I always thought that people die from anorexia nervosa due to starvation but they mostly die to suicide.
But... Such a pity he talked like all suicidal people were sick. He didn't mention that some of us are simply suffering way more than a human being is able to withstand. Besides that he made a few good points. I wish someday people will be more open about talking about endless pain...

This is an absolutely fantastic lecture. Dr. Joiner digs deep into the science of suicidality, and more people should be aware of him and his work. I agree that there is an unfortunate subtle pro-life tone to his overall message; he clearly has his own unscientific, biased views on the matter. But in the main, the content was extremely insightful and informative. I have been trawling the internet for more lectures like this, because it's people like him that will bring us closer to truly understanding suicide.

Last edited:
DoNotLet2

DoNotLet2

Wizard
Oct 14, 2019
This is an absolutely fantastic lecture. Dr. Joiner digs deep into the science of suicidality, and more people should be aware of him and his work. I agree that there is an unfortunate subtle pro-life tone to his overall message; he clearly has his own unscientific, biased views on the matter. But in the main, the content was extremely insightful and informative. I have been trawling the internet for more lectures like this, because it's people like him that will bring us closer to truly understanding suicide.
I mean he is a little pro life but not like "stop all suicides right now". It was very interesting to learn what we guys have in common xd
Like he said that 90% of deaths to anorexia nervosa are deaths by suicide because people who starve themselves are used to self harm. Or that alcoholics don't drink right before suicide. Or that we can lower suicide rate by patriotism...

Oh! maybe that is why hundreds of years ago suicide rates were lower - people were more united! Idk.

Reactions: Superdeterminist
Infinite Conscious

Infinite Conscious

Experienced
Aug 18, 2020
A very good lecture.
Now it makes a lot more sense why we have so many people who wish to die, and so few who actually go through with it.
"Few" is a relative term, of course, as 800,000 people commit suicide every year.
Imagine then how many tens of millions are like us who are still on this forum.
It takes fearlessness.

The irony - my first name in my language means Fearless.

I wish one day I overcome that fear that haunts all of us.
Nnbnb

• Wow
Reactions: Superdeterminist and DoNotLet2
Superdeterminist

Superdeterminist

Enlightened
Apr 5, 2020
A very good lecture.
Now it makes a lot more sense why we have so many people who wish to die, and so few who actually go through with it.
"Few" is a relative term, of course, as 800,000 people commit suicide every year.
Imagine then how many tens of millions are like us who are still on this forum.
It takes fearlessness.

The irony - my first name in my language means Fearless.

I wish one day I overcome that fear that haunts all of us.
View attachment 43162
I see this as the beginnings of an objective model of suicidality. Over time, as we learn more about the neurological basis of suicide, and from progress in other relevant fields, they'll probably develop this rudimentary model into a much more detailed schema that will serve as a kind of map to suicide. It's wonderful to see.

Reactions: Infinite Conscious
Jellyfish42

Jellyfish42

Aug 23, 2020
I don't know what to take away from the lecture. The only thing interesting was the part about blink rate. The rest was either common knowledge or bs.

Reactions: puppy9
LenkaX

LenkaX

Maybe there is a hope!
Aug 14, 2020
I'll CTB because of total social isolation I live in. In particular, I don't have a gf, which pisses me off.

Reactions: END21_22 and Superdeterminist
sleep_dealer

sleep_dealer

when life is your enemy, death becomes your friend
Feb 23, 2020
I have been trawling the internet for more lectures like this, because it's people like him that will bring us closer to truly understanding suicide.
Have you found any other helpful videos in your searching? I wanna see what other insightful stuff there is outside of the things that I've seen. The two most helpful resources I've found were Mark Pifer's video 'On Suicide', talking about his own experiences with it, and fellow SS member Alucard's essay 'A manifesto for the right to painless suicide: A pro-choice essay on human dignity'. I'll link them below:

The first chapter of this is narrated in English (& there's a narration of the full text in French on the same channel that uploaded the English narration, if you speak french at all), & the text is available to purchase from Amazon, or download from the resources section of suicide.wiki or from Library Genesis.

I wanna make my own model / resource reference of all the stuff involved in suicidality, but it feels like I've got so much more to learn about it before I can do anything that can even hold a candle to it.

Reactions: Superdeterminist