• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

tpboy

tpboy

No Karma Cafe
Aug 4, 2023
Just was given this fun fact by Alexia.

• Love
Reactions: karmaisabitch, sserafim, TotallyTerrible and 1 other person
I

iloverachel

Enlightened
Mar 7, 2024
Its a pretty large place, and I am guessing easy access to firearms plays a huge role
Saddening to see how many suicides occur globally on a daily basis
Life is truly and awful abominaton

• Hugs
Reactions: mtoro998, Lifeaffirmingchoice, worthIess and 10 others
Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley

Just another lost soul
Jan 4, 2024
cuz America fuckin rules!

rambo GIF

• Yay!
Reactions: AlexYaBoy, worthIess, sickgirlzis and 11 others
Whale_bones

Whale_bones

Experienced
Feb 11, 2020
I tried looking this up, and couldn't easily find the info I wanted at a glance. But according to WHO, over 77% of the world's suicides occur in low– and middle-income countries. So America and Canada wouldn't be included in that statistic.

Mexico is an upper middle income country, so it could be included, but from a quick search it seems Mexico alone definitely wouldn't make up a huge portion. Then there's some smaller countries that make up "Greater North America", but they're small enough that they couldn't make up anywhere close to 50% on their own. So I think Alexa must have been having an off day :))

Reactions: BrainShower, pilotviolin, Ashu and 3 others
Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley

Just another lost soul
Jan 4, 2024

in the entire world

I tried looking this up, and couldn't easily find the info I wanted at a glance. But according to WHO, over 77% of the world's suicides occur in low– and middle-income countries. So America and Canada wouldn't be included in that statistic.

Mexico is an upper middle income country, so it could be included, but from a quick search it seems Mexico alone definitely wouldn't make up a huge portion. Then there's some smaller countries that make up "Greater North America", but they're small enough that they couldn't make up anywhere close to 50% on their own. So I think Alexa must have been having an off day :))

Alexa lies. She lies to your face!

• Yay!
Reactions: divinemistress36, rozeske and Whale_bones
Abyssal

Abyssal

Kill me
Nov 26, 2023
They do? Damn.

I could spew the anthropological shit I know but I'm fucked up rn and feel dead so excuse the shitty answer but like maybe they aren't recording their suicides? Maybe they are hiding the statistics elsewhere. Still sounds wrong that NA has half all suicides but I'm too lazy to fact check tgat
Damn whys Alexa talking suicide? We got depressed robots nor or some dumb shit? Honestly fuck this existence even the robots are depressed and of that ain't unfair what is

• Yay!
Reactions: worthIess, BrainShower and Guy Smiley
4_science

4_science

Apr 12, 2024
Apparently in statistics of web traffic and members on SaSu listed by countries (link) and gun related deaths. Gun related deaths among U.S. kids and teens (including toddlers rose by 46 percent (link)).

I

inutil

Apr 22, 2024
I believe it is because statistical information is taken very seriously in the USA, even researchers in Brazil use US databases for studies because they are the most reliable, in Brazil CTB is a crime, so doctors usually put it on the record that it was accidental poisoning .

• Informative
Reactions: astonishedturnip, Forever Sleep and 4_science
Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley

Just another lost soul
Jan 4, 2024
I believe it is because statistical information is taken very seriously in the USA, even researchers in Brazil use US databases for studies because they are the most reliable, in Brazil CTB is a crime, so doctors usually put it on the record that it was accidental poisoning .

Suicide is not illegal in Brazil. There are only like 20 countries in the world where it is illegal, but Brazil isn't one of them.

P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
Well, maybe most of the suicides there are related to financial problems and North America may have the best statistics (documented the reasons how someone died, probably next best statistics in the EU). The rest of the world may not have as accurate statistics as those regions.

Reactions: willitpass, sserafim and Deleted member 65988
I

inutil

Apr 22, 2024
Suicide is not illegal in Brazil. There are only like 20 countries in the world where it is illegal, but Brazil isn't one of them.
theoretically if a person attempts suicide the procedure is for the hospital to inform the police and an investigation will be opened, in practice this does not happen, but it is an infraction.
Do you live in Brazil?

Reactions: Praestat_Mori
R

rozeske

Maybe I am the problem
Dec 2, 2023
And here I was thinking I would have had a better chance had I been from a first world country.

• Hugs
Reactions: Praestat_Mori
Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley

Just another lost soul
Jan 4, 2024
theoretically if a person attempts suicide the procedure is for the hospital to inform the police and an investigation will be opened, in practice this does not happen, but it is an infraction.
Do you live in Brazil?

No, I don't live in Brazil, but I did just get a Brazilian wax.

• Yay!
Reactions: divinemistress36, Forever Sleep and Ashu
T

touchingthevoid

Feb 4, 2024
Cause many countries in the world, especially religious ones heavy underreport suicide as it is a sin. So they label it as accident or something.

• Informative
Reactions: Ligottian and divinemistress36
tpboy

tpboy

No Karma Cafe
Aug 4, 2023
remember there are 23 countries in North America. It includes Canada and Mexico.

sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that’s just me
Sep 13, 2023
Probably because America is a capitalistic dystopia

Reactions: Ligottian
J

Jorms_McGander

Arcanist
Oct 17, 2023
Outside of NA the developing world doesn't always have the best records of who is alive and who is dead and why

Outside of NA parts of the developed world have practical access to euthanasia for terminal illness and that will also lower the numbers

And every other idea that people have come up with as well. No doubt it is a very complex reality and I'm quite surprised... Big big number.

Reactions: tbroken
astonishedturnip

astonishedturnip

Like Christine Chubbuck, but sadder
Jan 16, 2024
Broke: In other cultures CTB is either so shameful or illegal that it gets covered up as "fan deaths" etc.

WOKE: We're #1 baby

giga-chad.gif

• Yay!
Reactions: tbroken
J

Jorms_McGander

Arcanist
Oct 17, 2023
That number was big enough for me to want to source it, and the proper answer is that the statement is not true so that explains why it was so shocking.

"The majority of suicide deaths (77%) occurred in low- and middle-income countries in 2019[4]. Age-standardized rate (ASR, per 100000) of suicide mortality was 27.5 in Eastern Europe, in high- income Asia Pacific 18.7, in Australasia 10.6, and in Central Europe 13.0 and high- income North America 12.7 in 2016[3]. For both sexes in 2016, the lowest suicide death rates were found in countries in North Africa and the Middle East (4.8/100000). In men in 2016, countries in Eastern Europe recorded the highest suicide mortality rate (50.0/100000), while in women the highest suicide mortality rate was observed in South Asia (12.5/100000)"

Alexa whyyyy

Oops I just said the same thing. Good job using skepticism ❤️

• Love
Reactions: Whale_bones and Linda
C

Ctrl_Alt_DEL

Apr 23, 2024
Do you live in Brazil?
Suicide it not a crime in BR. Nonetheless its stigmatized as anywhere else in the world.

Reactions: Guy Smiley
Whale_bones

Whale_bones

Experienced
Feb 11, 2020
That number was big enough for me to want to source it, and the proper answer is that the statement is not true so that explains why it was so shocking.
Thank you!! I totally get that not everyone wants to go look up statistics, but I'm at a loss as to why people would believe a claim in the first post and ignore the posts after it with evidence to the contrary. It isn't like this is a debated issue, there's nothing to back up the 50% in North America thing at all.

BrainShower

BrainShower

Tiny storm
Nov 7, 2023
They do? Damn.

I could spew the anthropological shit I know but I'm fucked up rn and feel dead so excuse the shitty answer but like maybe they aren't recording their suicides? Maybe they are hiding the statistics elsewhere. Still sounds wrong that NA has half all suicides but I'm too lazy to fact check tgat
Damn whys Alexa talking suicide? We got depressed robots nor or some dumb shit? Honestly fuck this existence even the robots are depressed and of that ain't unfair what is
This seems likely. It's just not recorded in the 3rd world.

Reactions: Abyssal
U

uzuf86

Too many mistakes and regrets
Jan 1, 2024
I am surprised how Japan is not worse in this regard.