God
Jun 18, 2018
it's rarely successful

Reactions: SamK, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Smilla and 5 others
Sharethepain

Sharethepain

We forge the chains we wear in life.
May 2, 2018
People are desperate for a way out. These cases are usually done on impulse as well. I suppose they just think that if they mix all of the meds at home it will surely kill them or something.

Reactions: Sadgirl19, SamK, Deutsch and 5 others
P

Pallf

I'm tired
May 27, 2018
They're easily accessible.

Reactions: Sadgirl19, Deutsch, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 7 others
S

Ssname

Experienced
Jun 30, 2018
It's shown on movies etc as an easy way to go. They make sleeping pill overdoses look like "the peaceful pill" that we are all looking for. I'm really glad I researched before trying it myself. I nearly did.

Reactions: Sadgirl19, SamK, atwasoa and 9 others
Sayo

Sayo

Not 2B
Aug 22, 2018
Cultural saturation, accessibility to impulsive people, ease of use. People who are looking to die generally want relief from pain, rarely more of it.

People generally don't know the unpleasant things that can happen in an overdose, whereas violent deaths are scary and sometimes even hard (guns aren't available everywhere, people who want to jump might fail because of survival instinct, hanging is associated with the death penalty and pain, everyone knows drowning sucks—actually I still tried it and was traumatised a bit by it). Supposedly disfiguration of body is also a concern, and of course so is involving other people. The users here who research still want N after all?

Other poisons are known to be painful for the same cultural reasons and also seem less pleasant and peaceful. They're also less readily available to mind.

It's worthwhile noting that this varies greatly from country to country. Some methods are more popular in some places because they're more obvious and available and then people learn you can ctb that way. Sure enough, pills used to be much more effective before less lethal alternatives to old medicines were developed.

Reactions: Smilla, Deleted_9cKnXB34QG, CRM and 6 others
FadedMemory

FadedMemory

Student
Aug 5, 2018
It's shown on movies etc as an easy way to go. They make sleeping pill overdoses look like "the peaceful pill" that we are all looking for. I'm really glad I researched before trying it myself. I nearly did.
This. When I tried I thought it's the easiest way because media portrays it as you just fall asleep. While it depends on what you use, common symptoms of overdosing are nausea, bad stomach pains and throwing up, which busts the "painless" myth.
Also, it seems (to me at least) that it's very safe in case you fail, unlike jumping which might leave you crippled if you fail.
Though I might be wrong.

Reactions: SamK, lv-gras and Tiburcio
Sayo

Sayo

Not 2B
Aug 22, 2018
This. When I tried I thought it's the easiest way because media portrays it as you just fall asleep. While it depends on what you use, common symptoms of overdosing are nausea, bad stomach pains and throwing up, which busts the "painless" myth.
Also, it seems (to me at least) that it's very safe in case you fail, unlike jumping which might leave you crippled if you fail.
Though I might be wrong.
This is a good point, people are more aware of the repercussions of failing violently. They are widely advertised.

Reactions: SamK, Tiburcio, FadedMemory and 1 other person
C

Comatose11

Mage
Jul 26, 2018
I did it as a teenager because I thought it would be successful and it was very accessible. I had the medications. I don't have a gun. I couldn't get partial suspension to work and didn't know where to do full suspension (but I now know what I did wrong and how to fix it). It seemed like I could just fall asleep and never wake up again.

Reactions: SamK, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Smilla and 5 others
T

Tiburcio

I was extremely close of doing it few months ago. Good thing a wise user prevented me of doing that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, lv-gras, Volatile and 3 others
SamK

SamK

Cloud Surfing
Aug 21, 2018
have tried od many times

my reasons were... I did thorough research beforehand on LD50's and made sure I took above that. Despite my time and research and effort in getting a toxic dose failure was a price I was willing to pay .. silly I know but at the time my thinking was this.
Id rather have had a failing liver than be half brain dead or in a wheelchair for life with spine and neck fractures.. from a failed hanging or jump
or a train

I know it sounds messed up. Impulse in the sense that, the decision to end it was not immediate before me doing the od, but I had become so frustrated that even if I had a method / rope in the mail, I was so done, I decided to drive to three shops to buy painkillers and have it done with that night

Its hard to explain but I hope it makes sense.. This time around however theres not really room for failure.

Reactions: shadow11, FadedMemory, Pk95 and 2 others
sky7

sky7

Student
Aug 21, 2018
Tried this before but it was on impulse. Did not think it through first. The only thing it did was make me sick for 2 days and I have permanent tinnitus from it.

Reactions: SamK, dog3000 and lv-gras
D

Deleted member 847

Because they haven't read my hanging thread. :sunglasses:

Reactions: Ssname, ThisIsTheEnd, sky7 and 1 other person