Victini

Victini

Feb 3, 2022
If you are one of them, did you start watching anime when you were a kid or where you introduced to it late (past 20)?

Last edited:
WhiteRabbit

WhiteRabbit

I'm late, i'm late. For a very important date.
Feb 12, 2019
Because that's what the youths are into. I've tried to watch some, but I don't think it's for me.

Reactions: whatevs, Capsicum_Corral and miserableforever
Wrennie

Wrennie

-
Dec 18, 2019
I find the plot/characters/artwork to be compelling.

…But mostly I'm just a weeb.

Reactions: WrongPlaceWrongTime, KuriGohan&Kamehameha, miserableforever and 1 other person
Feeding Pigeons

Feeding Pigeons

Warlock
Aug 5, 2021
Television and comic books in the west decided to become as milquetoast and politicized as possible, anime and manga filled the void.

Reactions: obafgkm, Antigonish and demuic
Bootleg Astolfo

Bootleg Astolfo

Glorious Bean Plushie
Oct 12, 2020
KIMI WA BOKU NO KEN
astolfo-fate.gif

Reactions: WrongPlaceWrongTime, KuriGohan&Kamehameha and Sanva
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
Uh not to be that guy but I actually doubt many people here watch that many Chinese cartoons. Anime is Japanese (though most of the animation itself these days is done in Vietnam or The Philippines and not China or Korea anymore)

Actual Chinese cartoons are pretty much all propaganda approved by the CCP and I'd be shocked if even 5% of the users here regularly watch them.

Reactions: obafgkm, whatevs, demuic and 2 others
Feeding Pigeons

Feeding Pigeons

Warlock
Aug 5, 2021
Uh not to be that guy but I actually doubt many people here watch that many Chinese cartoons. Anime is Japanese (though most of the animation itself these days is done in Vietnam or The Philippines and not China or Korea anymore)

Actual Chinese cartoons are pretty much all propaganda approved by the CCP and I'd be shocked if even 5% of the users here regularly watch them.
Come on Doc why'd you take the bait. lol

• Yay!
Reactions: akana, obafgkm, Ringo and 4 others
O

OrcWitch

Warlock
Sep 3, 2021
List

My humble stats. I hope to reach over 1000 completed some day.

Anime is like ibuprofen for depression and suicidal thoughts imo. That might be part of why it's popular on SS.

Reactions: WrongPlaceWrongTime
N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
When I was young you were an outcast as anime fan. If you were really into it. It had a bad reputation and some got mocked for it. Maybe many victims of bullies are here.

• Hugs
Reactions: akana, WrongPlaceWrongTime, KuriGohan&Kamehameha and 2 others
Victini

Victini

Feb 3, 2022
When I was young you were an outcast as anime fan. If you were really into it. It had a bad reputation and some got mocked for it. Maybe many victims of bullies are here.
Smart dude, I believe this is what's happening too.

fuck I should have asked people if they grew watching anime or they started it watching it late.

Reactions: akana, WrongPlaceWrongTime and noname223
Lost Magic

Lost Magic

Illuminated
May 5, 2020
The best anime film I ever saw was Spirited Away. I am not really a fan of anime, though, but there is some amazing storytelling and visuals in those movies.

studio ghibli indie GIF

Reactions: whatevs
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I haven't been watching any anime recently but I have seen many series over the years. I did not watch it when I was very young, I got into it when I was a teenager. I think it is popular as it is a form of escapism and many people like the art style. Black Butler was always my favourite and it is what got me into anime.

• Love
Reactions: akana and demuic
gottago222

gottago222

paranoia bae
Dec 21, 2021
its nostalgic. havent watched any in 10 years. sold all my mangas. still obsessed with the art

Reactions: akana and whatevs
KuriGohan&Kamehameha

KuriGohan&Kamehameha

想死不能 - 想活不能
Nov 23, 2020
when I was 12 i started watching anime and playing weeb dress up games online (biggest mistake of my life)

Being an autist, I'd go through phases of special interests where you couldn't get me to shut up about a topic even if you duck taped my mouth closed.

Being vocal about liking anime was one of the reasons i got bullied so much in school, this was 2010s era where anime hadn't become astroturfed by redditor my hero academia stans.

As a teenage girl, I was watching things like Black Butler, School Rumble, Ouran Host Club, and Naruto, which would never be seen as cool in those days. My classmates made it clear that I was weird and my weird interests wouldn't be tolerated.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Love
  • Informative
Reactions: Isisnefert, noname223, demuic and 4 others
Victini

Victini

Feb 3, 2022
when I was 12 i started watching anime and playing weeb dress up games online (biggest mistake of my life)

Being an autist, I'd go through phases of special interests where you couldn't get me to shut up about a topic even if you duck taped my mouth closed.

Being vocal about liking anime was one of the reasons i got bullied so much in school, this was 2010s era where anime hadn't become astroturfed by reddit or my hero academia stans.

As a teenage girl, I was watching things like Black Butler, School Rumble, Ouran Host Club, and Naruto, which would never be seen as cool in those days. My classmates made it clear that I was weird and my weird interests wouldn't be tolerated.
brutal, and now anime is slightly mainstream (obviously not on the same level as videogames but still)

cute username wtf

• Love
Reactions: KuriGohan&Kamehameha
C

Capsicum_Corral

Experienced
Dec 10, 2021
Used to get grocery bags full of comic books from a friend as a kid, and even read things like Heavy Metal into my early 20s. But the appeal of anime escapes me.
Because that's what the youths are into. I've tried to watch some, but I don't think it's for me.
What @WhiteRabbit said. But I also can't tolerate most movies and 'music' anymore either. When I was a kid I had all the time in the world to waste on whatever. Get older, and a lot of the bullshit just becomes grating and intolerable. Used to watch a lot of Metokurs streams because of his hilarious style, but Jim is in his 30s and his obsession with anime just became too much.

Imo, it's probably a lot worse for mental development than the comic books around when I was a kid. But not sure if social devolution or anime happened first. It's a little weird to have lived through peak civilization and now see it crumbling.

Reactions: obafgkm
Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020
I have one as a avatar, but haven't watched a single one, quite cute though the ones that members watch and have it as avatars .

Victini

Victini

Feb 3, 2022
I have one as a avatar, but haven't watched a single one, quite cute though the ones that members watch and have it as avatars .
damn, not even DBZ?

• Love
Reactions: Sherri
whatevs

whatevs

Mining for copium in the weirdest places.
Jan 15, 2022
If you are one of them, did you start watching anime when you were a kid or where you introduced to it late (past 20)?
Oye, una cosa, los "dibujos chinos" no existen prácticamente. El anime es lo que se consume a nivel mundial.

Reactions: obafgkm
Lost Magic

Lost Magic

Illuminated
May 5, 2020
Different generation dear member! im 28 soon was never my cup of tea, not even PlayStation.
I just read that the first Dragon Ball Z episode was released in 1989 lol