ambivalent_thespian

ambivalent_thespian

Oct 5, 2023
Everywhere I go, I see people saying you should confide in someone you trust about suicidal feelings. But I've never seen anyone saying that confiding in others actually helped them when they were thinking of suicide. People who attempted but failed, they never credit their loved ones as the reason they got better. They just received the right therapy at the right time. I never hear anyone feeling better after talking to loved ones when they are thinking about suicide.

So, why is telling other people about your problems seen as something that might actually help solve them? If I wanted professional help, wouldn't I have gotten over myself and sought it out already?

Reactions: madge1, silentnights56, buyersremorse and 2 others
LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
If I wanted professional help, wouldn't I have gotten over myself and sought it out already?
Do you want it? What's getting in the way?

There is a lot of naivety and pie-in-the-sky optimism when it comes to suicide prevention campaigns.

ambivalent_thespian

ambivalent_thespian

Oct 5, 2023
Do you want it? What's getting in the way?

There is a lot of naivety and pie-in-the-sky optimism when it comes to suicide prevention campaigns.
Maybe seeing a professional would benefit me. However, the idea of becoming a unfortunate fatality due to recent events sounds incredibly appealing, compared to forcing myself to relive it through a psychologist.

LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
Maybe seeing a professional would benefit me. However, the idea of becoming a unfortunate fatality due to recent events sounds incredibly appealing, compared to forcing myself to relive it through a psychologist.
I'm not clear what you mean. If you are comfortable can you elaborate? It sounds like you are taking about something traumatic you experienced.

ambivalent_thespian

ambivalent_thespian

Oct 5, 2023
I'm not clear what you mean. If you are comfortable can you elaborate? It sounds like you are taking about something traumatic you experienced.
well in august 2023, my favorite drama teacher was fired from the school district because she did some unsavory and some illegal things to people I care about. the seniors at that high school were put in charge of dealing with things in her absence. for a while, it was a bunch of 17-year-olds running our school's theatrical program. we have a new teacher now, thank god. but because of my involvement in the program, I can't ever avoid facing the consequences of what she did. I see it in people's faces. But we can't talk about it because of the nature of the whole thing.

there's more but I don't feel the impact can be properly conveyed without lengthy context.

Anonymoususer1234

Anonymoususer1234

Experienced
Apr 13, 2023
I'm not sure. I guess people have the idea that if you know you're loved to you'll have less incentive to kill yourself.

Reactions: traumer and ambivalent_thespian
ambivalent_thespian

ambivalent_thespian

Oct 5, 2023
I'm not sure. I guess people have the idea that if you know you're loved to you'll have less incentive to kill yourself.
yeah I think that's definitely it. people cant fathom that there are multiple things that cause people to kill themselves, aside from loneliness

Reactions: ijustwishtodie and Anonymoususer1234
W

Winterreise

I wanna be a baby and cry and be held forever
Jun 27, 2022
Because they fear responsibility. It's the best way to care about others, without facing the details. Blame is shifted towards us at the frontlines,who witness the suffering and death.

Reactions: silentnights56
pawlessz

pawlessz

silly
Nov 15, 2023
Everywhere I go, I see people saying you should confide in someone you trust about suicidal feelings. But I've never seen anyone saying that confiding in others actually helped them when they were thinking of suicide. People who attempted but failed, they never credit their loved ones as the reason they got better. They just received the right therapy at the right time. I never hear anyone feeling better after talking to loved ones when they are thinking about suicide.

So, why is telling other people about your problems seen as something that might actually help solve them? If I wanted professional help, wouldn't I have gotten over myself and sought it out already?
uhh maybe because people care about their loved ones and it would be sad if they died

S

silentnights56

Dec 6, 2023
I think for people that are absolutely adamant to go, this knowledge only gives them more burden, pain and guilt instead of making things better.

Reactions: Anonymoususer1234
Anonymoususer1234

Anonymoususer1234

Experienced
Apr 13, 2023
I think for people that are absolutely adamant to go, this knowledge only gives them more burden, pain and guilt instead of making things better.
It sucks but yeah. I agree. Loved ones knowing definitely can make things worse for both parties.

ijustwishtodie

ijustwishtodie

death will be my ultimate bliss
Oct 29, 2023
yeah I think that's definitely it. people cant fathom that there are multiple things that cause people to kill themselves, aside from loneliness
People also can't fathom that not everybody has loved ones to begin with or any sort of support network at all. After all, they say "you are loved and are not alone" to literally every suicidal person they can say it to

Reactions: silentnights56, kunikuzushi and betternever2havbeen
madge1

madge1

Oct 26, 2023

I offen wonder the same thing when you do tell people how you our feeling most people switch off or turn it around to be about themselves they never listen it's easier to talk to screen then real life

Abyssal

Abyssal

Kill me
Nov 26, 2023
I know it's hypocritical of me, but I relate to the desire for suicide prevention. It's easy for me to say I want to die, but if someone I loved said it I'm not sure I could sit there and do nothing. It's selfish and I struggle to explain why it's that way, but it is.

Reactions: betternever2havbeen