Kramer

Kramer

Nervous wreck
Oct 27, 2020
Flash cards, duolingo, etc doesn't work.

What's a good way to learn to just read in a language? I hardly talk to anyone in English, so talking to people in Spanish isn't going to happen.

• Hugs
Reactions: puppy9, Silvermorning and shy
shy

shy

Student
Aug 23, 2020
Have you heard about immersion language learning? The premise is to learn your desired language kinda like your mother language i.e. listen to and read a lot of your target language, while your brain does its magic. I think it's the best approach to reach fluency in a foreign language, a big time investment though.

There are a lot of YouTube channels that talk about this approach for Chinese and Japanese, but it can be used for any language. Should be some Spanish resources out there too.

Reactions: puppy9 and Niftypoint124
Silvermorning

Silvermorning

The polar bears made me do it
Oct 10, 2020
Rosetta stone for me is the best , takes about two months, or less, after that you have the basics, to jump to the others;

Reactions: Disappointered and Niftypoint124
Niftypoint124

Niftypoint124

Student
Nov 7, 2020
Just dropping in to say I've tried both of these techniques and found them better than any classroom, app, or similar I've tried in the past.

Granted, my immersion was in American Sign Language, but doing so catapulted my comprehension and vocabulary to an entirely new level. Rosetta Stone seems to have switched from several hundred up front for software to a monthly fee for their cloud service, but I made the most progress I've had with spoken languages using that over DuoLingo & some other app I can't remember the name of right now.

Reactions: shy
notreallynow

notreallynow

Oct 21, 2020
Agree with people saying immersion..I stagnated a lot when I was first learning french, for the first 2 years until I started learning this way. I used lingq( sp?) - it does cost for a monthly subscription, although you can use normal books + articles too! It's best to start off with something which has a text + audio - there's a lot of resources online. Assimil is good, bit expensive but, you probably know how to find things online.
Anyway, the way I did it, you get your text + audio. Listen to the audio first. Then, read the text. If it's super long, do it in shorter chunks. When you're reading the text, you underline the bits you don't understand, or phrases that you'd like to remember. Then, look them up and make a flashcard. Lingq does this for you, and there is the free software anki also which is great.
Then, you can listen to your audio again, and see how much more you understand. If you like, it's nice to try and mouth (or talk, if you're not in public!) along with the audio, again it just helps the language sort of ease into your brain. Repeat this until you get bored and move onto something trickier. I went from struggling with 'julie va au restaurant' crap to reading novels in like 4 months, after 2 years of dumbo reading comprehension.
It helps when you do the flashcard for a word, to write down the phrase you read it in. That's cuz its a bit easier to memorise things when you have the context. Also generally, the more sentences you look at at and read, the more the language starts to flow in your brain.. and since you are doing Spanish it helps A LOT with memorising the noun genders, because you always look at the noun and the article together.
eg just a basic dummy example for rabbit - - I'd do something like- le lapin mange une carotte. I could then do a fill in the blanks flashcard with L_ _____ mange une carotte, and that way you wouldn't even have to have any English on your cards.
I wasn't strict with my flash-carding at all tbh - just the making process helps for remembering.. And anki lets you put pictures and stuff on your flashcards.

Reactions: Kramer
y0dha

y0dha

Student
Feb 10, 2022
I learnt english by playing video games, watching movies with subtitles and school course. What contributed the most to my learning I'd say was watching movies / series. You can pick up fast a lot of vocabulary, get to understand the grammar as well if you have at least some basic course behind your belt.

Alltheywanted

Alltheywanted

I'll just lay here and die
Mar 6, 2023
I started learning french by Michel Thomas' method and it gave my a solid fundation. Now I just scroll through french youtube and twitter.

MaskedSparrow

MaskedSparrow

Aug 4, 2023
If you're trying to learn spanish, I'd suggest consuming media in Spanish like video games, books, and movies. (But try not to use english subtitles once you get better!)

N

nobody96

Aug 3, 2023
Flash cards, duolingo, etc doesn't work.

What's a good way to learn to just read in a language? I hardly talk to anyone in English, so talking to people in Spanish isn't going to happen.
Might read the book ultralearning. Heard about a lot of people doing immersion learning who picked up the language in 3 months.