dolphin

dolphin

aquatic thing
Feb 7, 2019
Now that I am planning on dying soon I have been pretty much lying to my psychiatrist every appointment. I feel terrible. i don't want to stop going to appointments because then they might think something is up.

Reactions: Egddios, Luchs, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 2 others
sad.ladybird

sad.ladybird

May 3, 2019
Why do not you tell him how you're really feeling, maybe he can help.

Reactions: Luchs and Wolfjob_dayjob
F

Final Escape

I’ve been here too long
Jul 8, 2018
Wouldn't that be insane if u did that? Glutton for punishment. I would not just to be safe from being held at one those psych holding places. I know u might think u want to be honest but I don't know, I would say hell no don't risk it. You can maybe indirectly say stuff but avoid actually saying you are thinking of killing yourself.

• Love
Reactions: Godofdeathftw, HGL91, Luchs and 3 others
LastFlowers

LastFlowers

the haru that can read
Apr 27, 2019
Why do not you tell him how you're really feeling, maybe he can help.
That's just a guaranteed ticket to the psych ward unfortunately.
One of the biggest problems with psych doctors is that they say they can't help you if you are not honest..but then if you are honest, you get punished for it. As if a person's reason for being there isn't punishment enough.

The whole "danger to yourself" notion that they use to put people away seems insane to me. We should all own our own selves. Not some doctor who has no clue what it's like. My body doesn't belong to you pal.
And their definition of "danger" can be someone else's definition of escape and freedom or simply mercy.
The whole system is extremely faulty.

• Love
Reactions: Egddios, AnnonyBox, HGL91 and 17 others
Sha70

Sha70

Student
Jul 22, 2018
Do psychiatrist really help? Do they just label you and give you meds and then you go home?

Reactions: Egddios, HGL91, Luchs and 7 others
intheweeds

intheweeds

Student
Mar 20, 2019
Whenever I go see my psych they have me feel out a sheet while in the waiting room. The sheet asks me from 1 to 5 how depressed I am, and also asks me if I'm suicidal, followed with "if so, do you have a plan?".

Last few times I've marked that I have a plan. They never ask what it is. Who knows if anyone even looks at those papers carefully enough to see that I even marked yes.

Reactions: HGL91, Luchs, ExitTheDay and 7 others
Sha70

Sha70

Student
Jul 22, 2018
Whenever I go see my psych they have me feel out a sheet while in the waiting room. The sheet asks me from 1 to 5 how depressed I am, and also asks me if I'm suicidal, followed with "if so, do you have a plan?".

Last few times I've marked that I have a plan. They never ask what it is. Who knows if anyone even looks at those papers carefully enough to see that I even marked yes.

I have been depressed with suicide ideation off and on since I was 12. Never seen anyone for this. But sounds like it's not worth seeing a counselor or a psychiatrist if they have no intention to really help you except put you in a psych ward. What's the point of going.

Reactions: Egddios, Neville1, AnnonyBox and 4 others
Monster

Monster

Apr 26, 2019
Well first off, my psychiatrist is not my therapist. I don't currently have a therapist or psychologist. She is there to prescribe me medication. She knows about my "suicidal ideation/thoughts", but I will never tell her that it's getting "worse". I will never tell a therapist that either, if I get another one. I just say it's the same as before. I'm still pretty early in the planning of my suicide, but I don't think anything I've said above will change. We'll see.

Reactions: Final Escape
intheweeds

intheweeds

Student
Mar 20, 2019
I have been depressed with suicide ideation off and on since I was 12. Never seen anyone for this. But sounds like it's not worth seeing a counselor or a psychiatrist if they have no intention to really help you except put you in a psych ward. What's the point of going.

For me personally I'm on disability due to my mental issues and I have to see someone if I want to continue receiving it. I like having a roof over my head so I go, lol.

Also I tend to have the mindset of "eh, I'll go. It probably won't help but it can't hurt either".

• Love
Reactions: HGL91, Final Escape and Sha70
dolphin

dolphin

aquatic thing
Feb 7, 2019
Wouldn't that be insane if u did that? Glutton for punishment. I would not just to be safe from being held at one those psych holding places. I know u might think u want to be honest but I don't know, I would say hell no don't risk it. You can maybe indirectly say stuff but avoid actually saying you are thinking of killing yourself.

No, exactly. But then it just makes you wonder what the point of it is ... if you really wanted to kill yourself, then of course you aren't going to say anything.

Reactions: Luchs
F

Final Escape

I’ve been here too long
Jul 8, 2018
Do psychiatrist really help? Do they just label you and give you meds and then you go home?
Pretty much this, most psychiatrists cannot actually help u. Sometimes a psychologist that does actual therapy might if they actually have tons of experience and a successful track record. These people are very scarce because the government has created incentives that discourage actually curing people. They want to keep u sick and miserable because there's no money in cure. If we had a free market in healthcare than u would see doctors actually interested in cure because otherwise they don't get paid. Nobody will pay for a service that doesn't work in a free market.

Lol! Right they don't even care they get paid wether u live or die, get better or not. No incentive to give a shit really.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lennox
C

CTB-London

Student
Feb 26, 2019
My view is that if you want to CTB, you shouldn't tell anyone because that could lead to people trying to stop you.

Reactions: Egddios and Nem
Lush_nova

Lush_nova

Self Destruct Activated
May 16, 2019
Where in the world are you guys who are getting thrown into these places just for mentioning it. The UK, you can yell I'm gonna kill myself, most likely response... taken to A&E then told your responsible for your own safety, before being discharged!

Reactions: Letmego. Please, Tabbyql, Lennox and 1 other person
Partial-Elf

Partial-Elf

Eternal Oblivion
Dec 26, 2018
I speak with a psychologist rather than a psychiatrist, but I don't mention it. I have other things to work on during that time, I'm afraid of getting locked up, and I don't really think there's anything he could do to help. Plus I'm very careful to always leave suicide as a possible escape hatch and loose lips sink ships, so they say.

Reactions: Neville1 and Lennox
RainAndSadness

RainAndSadness

Administrator
Jun 12, 2018
Yeah, I'm regularly visiting a psychiatrist because of my mental disorders and because I'm transgender. I'm very open with my doctors about my suicidal thoughts but I don't tell them any details that could put me at risk of being locked into a closed facility. I tried to do that once and it backfired quickly. My trust in the psychiatric system is gone. I wrote a post a while ago why I think that the psychiatric system is a disaster and not helping anyone by creating a stigma around suicide. I think many people would be more open about their intentions if they wouldn't face the threat of being locked up in an asylum.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sha70 and Worthless_nobody
deflagrat

deflagrat

¡Si hablas español mándame un mensaje privado!
Apr 9, 2018
Where in the world are you guys who are getting thrown into these places just for mentioning it. The UK, you can yell I'm gonna kill myself, most likely response... taken to A&E then told your responsible for your own safety, before being discharged!
Same thing, I have told everyone in the mental health service that I want to die, sometimes dozens of times in several appointments, and nothing happened. It's just those countries, not everywhere. It's actually good if you want to talk about your problems like I did with a public healthcare psychologist, he didn't really do too much effort but what the hell, it's free.

Reactions: Lennox and Lush_nova
T

Tally

Student
Apr 29, 2019
With my psychiatrist + GP + counsellor, I talk openly about these things. They seems to feel that if it is something I'll do then they actually have no way of stopping me, and that actually sectioning in a psych ward is pointless. If you think there is 1 iota of hope in you, yes I would talk to the psych. You cannot expect people to try and help, if they don't know the reality of the situation.

N

NOT

Experienced
Apr 16, 2019
Sometimes expirienced psycho-iatrist can help you diagnose if you are psychotic like me.
In that case benzos and antidepressants rarely help, so drinking them might be getting things worse.

S

Sunlight99

Sep 20, 2018
I saw a therapist many years ago. It was helpful because he listened to my problems, including childhood trauma, and I liked that he seemed to understand how bad it was. It was not helpful because he encouraged me to go into a career that does not pay well and I am struggling. I saw several other people after that and none of them helped.

D

dreamstobebroken

May 13, 2019
The last time when I told my therapist about actual suicide plans, I got into psych ward immediately and tbh in retrospect it was one of the worst experiences ever. So I might tell my therapist if I feel suicidal but not that I have actual plans.

Reactions: justanotherday and Lennox
JadedGray

JadedGray

Life Eternal
Jul 24, 2018
In the past when I was seeing a therapist, I would keep my plans to myself. I would only tell them that I wished I was dead, but I never admitted to actively being suicidal, otherwise they would have locked me up in the psychiatric ward again.

M

Mbound

Experienced
Apr 29, 2019
That's how you get sectioned lol, absolutely not. only in the vaguest terms should you talk about it, unless you think a temporary psych hold might actually be good for you.

Jessica-

Jessica-

Experienced
Mar 26, 2019
I have brain damage from psych meds. I have changed many psychiatrists and with the present one I have told him that I want to apply to Dignitas and of course he pretend he didn't hear it.

Lennox

Lennox

No alarms, and no surprises...
Jul 21, 2019
I see a psychiatrist regularly. I feel terrible about not telling her everything, because she's probably the best doctor I've had so far. She is like what an actually good therapist should look like. The appointments can easily go over one hour, she asks a lot of questions about my life and even make good suggestions. I'm very glad also that each time she lowers more and more my dosages after I complain of very mild side effects.

Reactions: eve2004
Tabbyql

Tabbyql

Chronic people pleaser
Mar 13, 2019
Yeah that's my experience of nhs, I told them plans, dates etc.... nothing happened.

• Aww..
Reactions: Letmego. Please
E

EmptySteph62

Student
Aug 4, 2019
I only told my psychiatrist about my plans once and found myself in a ward hours later. If you genuinely want help then I think you should tell them but if you're dead set on ctb then I would just keep it to yourself. They tend to lock you away at the slightest mention of suicide or plans in my personal opinion.
I see a psychiatrist weekly and I haven't told her anything about my plans or ideation. I'm really trying hard to make it through this last year of university and graduate so I may tell her soon. But like I said, if you have no hope any more it's just a waste of time

Reactions: Luchs and Lennox
Wayfaerer

Wayfaerer

JFMSUF
Aug 21, 2019
I no longer see a psychiatrist or take psychiatric medication. If it was within my power to do so, I'd nail them all nailed to a cross.

TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
I don't see one, let alone regularly. Also, I would NEVER tell them (or anyone with the authority to affect my freedom and rights) about my plans. It is a surefire way to get involuntary treatment and force against my will.

Reactions: justanotherday and Lookingforabus
J

Juicebox

Trying to Stay Alive
Jul 31, 2019

In the US they can hold you at the hospital for 3 days if they even think you're going to hurt yourself, and saying you have a plan to kill yourself will get you at least a week in a psych ward. Longer if they think you're addicted to something

Reactions: Lennox and justanotherday
W

WeekofWonder

Oct 22, 2018
I see a psychiatrist, told him I've been in a psych ward and it did not help a bit. I openly talk about my plan, he doesn't want to lock me away just for having suicidal ideations.
Of course, seeing him doesn't really help either but that's another story.

Reactions: Lennox and Lookingforabus