N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
Today I have read that someone from my country (Germany) moved to China in a news article. He is an entrepreneur and wants to earn more money. I think many people move to authoritarian countries because they are greedy and want to make more money. There was a story which I have heard of some months ago. Social media influencers of my country moved to United Arab Emirates because they have gotten money for it. The country wanted to make advertisement for the country and offered contracts with a lot of money for the influencers. It was forbidden to talk badly about the human right violations. As an exchange they had to pay very low taxes. Yeah I despise those people. Many of them regretted to move to the country due to the extreme climate.

It is a shame that some people want to support dictatorships just because they are greedy. These people had a lot of money they just could not get enough from it. I would never move to such a country. I would not even do a holiday trip to them. I really appreciate the freedom of democracies and their values. In such countries there is a lot of arbitrariness. You have to be scared about the police when you critize the leader, if you are gay or if you talk badly about some religions/ideology. I am really grateful for the fact that I am living in a democracy. I would not change that without having really good reasons for it.

• Hugs
Reactions: demuic and Depressed Cat
MelancholyMagic

MelancholyMagic

For my next trick, I will disappear
Dec 12, 2021
if you talk badly about some religions/ideology
This is true even in North America and Western European countries. Here's how you can know with a simple demonstration: Talk badly about pro-life religions/ideologies in a somewhat public place. Then, start the stopwatch to see how long until the police come knocking on your door!

But in all seriousness, certain countries definitely are worse than others for freedoms and whatever else. As you point out, people do go to 'worse' countries for financial reasons. A lot of money can be had. But I also think there are a few other things to consider.

People may go to worse countries for relationships (e.g., a middle class, tall, white German will probably generate a lot of interest in certain parts of China). If one can't get a relationship in one's country, outsourcing is an option (at least people might think that)!

People may also go to a 'worse' country because it is better than their current country or because they think it is better than their current country. China may not be as nice as Germany, but it's way better than a lot of places. Or, someone might dislike Germany for whatever reason and decide to move to China. It may be better for a bit with the honeymoon effect, but then they will realize Germany is actually way nicer.