N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
You probably won't know the Germans I think about.
Probably I am not smart enough to make a fair judgement anyway.

For me there is are some signs for wanna-be intellectuals. Especially public intellecutals who speak a lot on many different topics are suspicious for me. The main indicator for me is when they talk on subjects they have not studied or are no expert on it. Some public intellectuals seem to have an elaborate opinion on almost any topic. Serious scientists probably would rather avoid to pretend that.

In Germany there is this guy Richard David Precht. I think he is the most popular and most mainstream intellectual there is in my country. I once liked him a lot till I realized he is a fraud. I feel kind of ashamed I once liked him. Maybe due to the fact we have some parallels. We like attention when we sound smart. But often this is only a facade. For me personally I consider it less damaging in my case because it is not my scheme to get money from a naive audience.
I now consider him rather as slimy. I disagreed with him a lot on vaccines and Ukraine.

Furthermore I liked Jordan Peterson in the past. I have now a similar opinion on him as on this German guy . Maybe not as bad as on Precht though. I have to say Peterson helped to motivate me to fight against depression and a negativity spiral. However I probably accumulated a lot of shallow half knowledge on postmodernism and other shit he talked about when he probably does not have in-depth understanding of it. I think his psychology lectures were very insightful Though I doubt his competence on other topics a lot.

Do you have a certain name in your mind?