FractalTears

FractalTears

Feb 4, 2022
I always feel so embarassed for most things I've done. For things have taken place years ago.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, OpheliasFlowers, SamTam33 and 12 others
gomenasai

gomenasai

Student
Sep 30, 2022
That's normal. Many people experience this. But you can train yourself to just observe these thoughts without reacting to them. Just watch them float with no interfering
It takes practice but you can do it if you have strong will
All the best to you 🤗

• Love
  • Informative
Reactions: Per Ardua Ad Astra, OpheliasFlowers, koalahymm and 2 others
Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
I get this really badly. I have heard it referred to as toxic shame. I think it's related to deeply internalising childhood abuse and having a subconscious belief in inferiority. Relates to imposter syndrome and stuff like that.

• Hugs
Reactions: OpheliasFlowers, almaranthine, Forever Sleep and 4 others
BitterlyAlive_

BitterlyAlive_

-
Dec 8, 2020
That's how I feel too. Granted, I'm still young so it feels like all I do is fuck up…. But the constant shame is definitely maladaptive/abnormal. It's very painful.
I get this really badly. I have heard it referred to as toxic shame. I think it's related to deeply internalising childhood abuse and having a subconscious belief in inferiority. Relates to imposter syndrome and stuff like that.
You're correct. :hug:

• Hugs
Reactions: Pluto
Suicidebydeath

Suicidebydeath

No chances to be happy - dead inside
Nov 25, 2021
Relatable.

Reactions: Pluto
koalahymm

koalahymm

Sep 20, 2022
Totally get this. I feel like when I look back at my life it's just one fuck up after another. That's why I'm not even angry about my situation because it has been my own choices that brought me to this point.

• Love
Reactions: SamTam33, almaranthine, sleeps and 1 other person
Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
That's why I'm not even angry about my situation because it has been my own choices that brought me to this point.
If you watch very carefully, you might find that your mind carries a root belief of being fundamentally less than other people.

This self-image was created in childhood to explain why we have been treated more harshly than other people, be it scapegoating, bullying or other scenarios of being personally singled out for abuse. We may do this to eliminate cognitive dissonance; we are clearly human like anyone else, so why have we experienced unjustifiable attacks? By affirming, "I'm worthless and unlovable (etc.)" we now have a fully self-consistent, resolved worldview. Never mind that it's bollocks.

Once the 'I'm inferior' seed is established, the mind will interpret all events in ways that bring us blame/shame, ignore the crimes of our abusers and are generally totally biased against ourselves. This can manifest substandard outcomes such as bad relationships, and becomes a vicious circle that continually reaffirms the sense of unworthiness. We become our own tormentor.

The situation strikes me as the polar opposite of narcissistic personality disorder, a condition that can make people believe in their own superiority to the extent that they feel completely entitled to brutalise and manipulate people around them. If you've ever experienced narcissistic abuse, well it's a case of 'join the dots' to see what's happened.

Last edited:
Reactions: Per Ardua Ad Astra, foreverfalling, SamTam33 and 4 others
Fadeawaaaay

Fadeawaaaay

Visionary
Nov 12, 2021
Yes I have spent time going over every moment of my life and affirming how every decision and every action was flawed…

• Hugs
Reactions: Per Ardua Ad Astra and almaranthine
myfinalform

myfinalform

Oct 12, 2022
im ashamed of my body, i was thin before but now im fat because of pills and of course all those chance to have a girlfriend in the past far away that i was too chicken to get it

L

lifeORdeath

Student
Oct 11, 2022
Mine is more regret than shame.
I had a little bit of shame for folks probably knowing my hospitalizations.
Then again, I don't care what they think.
I feel bad for my family if they get shamed because of me.
I have made we really stupid decisions that could effect them and make them ashamed because of me

Last edited:
Reactions: FractalTears