WitheringAway

WitheringAway

Ima shake the champagne bottle...
Jun 23, 2020
I got my license since September but I still can't bring myself to drive. It's not about me not believing I can do it it's just that People are so irresponsible and reckless on the streets.. I don't trust them. Many people cut me off and swing at me out of nowhere it's so annoying. I'm not scared of dying I just don't want to cause myself a serious injury that could possibly leave me disabled or something that's my biggest fear.. other than that; I feel like I don't have much focus like I zone out a lot and just don't look around me as much as other people do when they drive like the blind spot the mirrors etc it's very dangerous I know but I forget and I just make the decision and hope for the best. I've been getting by with pure luck but I don't know how much it would last. It's pathetic that something as normal as driving is such a struggle for me.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: whatevs, Circles, ColorlessTrees and 9 others
WoAiGou

WoAiGou

Stalinist
Dec 16, 2021
I wouldn't say fear for me but definitely gives me a good deal of anxiety. I'm in the process of selling my car, and have just been walking/biking everywhere for the past month, of course I'm fortunate to live in a place that doesn't require a car.

Tbh I hate everything about cars and car culture, no reason every person needs 1 or more cars.

Reactions: WitheringAway, demuic and Red Scare
Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020
I'm scared of driving only in the uk or countries that drive on the wrong side of the road for me, if the car is auto not so much, but switching gears with the left arm that is hard.
I got my license since September but I still can't bring myself to drive. It's not about me not believing I can do it it's just that People are so irresponsible and reckless on the streets.. I don't trust them. Many people cut me off and swing at me out of nowhere it's so annoying. I'm not scared of dying I just don't want to cause myself a serious injury that could possibly leave me disabled or something that's my biggest fear.. other than that; I feel like I don't have much focus like I zone out a lot and just don't look around me as much as other people do when they drive like the blind spot the mirrors etc it's very dangerous I know but I forget and I just make the decision and hope for the best. I've been getting by with pure luck but I don't know how much it would last. It's pathetic that something as normal as driving is such a struggle for me.
How are things at work? Better? Remembered your thread before.

Last edited:
Reactions: WitheringAway and Ringo
Mocktezuma

Mocktezuma

Godspeed
Nov 9, 2021
I got ADHD but even while medicated I dont trust myself and others so I dont have a license and probably never will and I hate cars anyway. Nobody knows how to drive but yet everybody thinks they are better drivers than they actually are

Reactions: Crazy4u, WitheringAway and Red Scare
Red Scare

Red Scare

Wizard
Mar 1, 2022
I absolutely hate driving, and I hate cars and car culture too.

Driving gives me the worst anxiety. Especially freeways where people are hurling down the road in these steel or aluminum death traps, at 75 mph, just trying to get to some crappy job to earn a living... the whole thing is psychotic.

Reactions: Crazy4u, WitheringAway and ColorlessTrees
Nolan96

Nolan96

Mage
Feb 12, 2022
I recommend using mnemonics to remember to drive safely.
For example: Use SMOG to remember how to safely change lanes on a roadway. SMOG stands for Signal, Mirror, Over-the-shoulder, Go
I think you could probably find others online.

I think anybody who's a bit spacy and prone to getting stuck in their head is nervous about situations where their safety requires constant alertness. I definitely understand that feeling.

Reactions: WitheringAway, ColorlessTrees, thinkkank and 1 other person
Cosmic dust

Cosmic dust

Among the stars
Feb 28, 2022
I used to have a great fear and anxiety of driving too, especially motorcycles, I never trusted myself, I day dreamed a lot and had this notion that I would lose focus and crash in to someone, or crash because I had not a good awareness of the car size and of the things around me, now I have a very nice car and enjoy driving a lot.

I find amazing how the human brain gets wired to behave in a certain way when experiencing certain cues, like reacting to the brake lights of the car in the front, switching gears, checking mirrors. It gets easier with the time.

Reactions: WitheringAway
S

SuicidallyCurious

Enlightened
Dec 20, 2020
Funny story on this: I was but I ended up driving for a living and loving it.

I tried to put off driving as long as possible because I was afraid to wreck the thing

Driving under normal conditions is effortless for me as long as I have the right vehicle

Reactions: Crazy4u and WitheringAway
western_heart

western_heart

trying to save ourself
May 23, 2021
I feel fine driving my own car which is loaded with safety features, but I am scared of driving cars that are too big or don't have stuff like automatic braking and lane keeping. I can do it anyway, when I'm in the right state of mind, but last year I went a month without driving because I didn't have my own car/access to one with safety features, and was so dissociated all the time.

I'm afraid of parking.

W

waitingforrest

Elementalist
Dec 27, 2021
I'm not so much afraid of getting into a accident. But I am terrified each time I drive because I get these thoughts like: "what if I drove off that cliff or what if I swerve into this tree?" I can't help it.

I'm afraid if I get stressed enough, I might actually do it. And the consequences of surviving are not great to say the least.

ultrafuntimes

ultrafuntimes

it's funny...
Jan 16, 2022
I HATE DRIVING. It is terrifying. I've been trying to get over this fear for a while now.
I could care less what happens to me, but the idea of doing something wrong and upsetting other people, paralyzes me.

Reactions: whatevs, WitheringAway and ColorlessTrees
NearlyIrrelevantCake

NearlyIrrelevantCake

The Cake Is A Lie
Aug 12, 2021
Terrified of it, never done it, never had a car, never had a license. Can't afford a car or gas or insurance, anyways, though. No one in my immediate family has ever driven or had a license, either.

• Hugs
Reactions: whatevs, Crazy4u, WitheringAway and 1 other person
S like suicide

S like suicide

Enlightened
Apr 29, 2021
I got my license 7 years ago but i i drove very little ... with depression i found i lost my driving reflexes and when i tried it was terrifying so stressful i had an anxiety attack and couldn't stop crying.
Can't drive no more

Reactions: WitheringAway and Foresight
Ringo

Ringo

Rabbits on the Moon
Dec 3, 2020
I love driving motorcycles it's more dangerous but for me that's a plus, but when it comes to cars it always cost me a lot more. A car is too much stress and in my current situation it's not worth it.

In my hometown it was an ordeal to have one because of how expensive it was to maintain it or replace parts, not to mention the stress of being robbed or killed because crime was rampant where I lived.

Reactions: WitheringAway, LONE WOLF. and ColorlessTrees
Manaaja

Manaaja

euROPE
Sep 10, 2018
I knew a teacher who had had a driving license for ten years but never drove and always used a bus, because she feared driving.

I remember my first time driving 100km/h, it was terrifying. Nowadays I feel it's pretty slow. I love driving, though like most things, it has gotten boring after doing so for many years and I wish I could just teleport.

I really wish I could drive a motorcycle once. I also wish I could try rally. Dirt3 with a wheel and pedals just doesn't feel the same.

I hate parking though. My parking is like:
I: Shit! I hit the other car! Shit shit shit! Why aren't the roads and parking spaces ten times bigger!!!!!????!!?!?!?!
Passenger: You didn't hit anything. There's still 10 centimeters free space between you and the other car.
I: You're lying! I can clearly see that the cars are touching! I'll go and check! Oh, there IS 10 centimeters free space! I didn't hit! Yay! Wait a min... ONLY TEN CENTIMETERS?! THAT MEANS THEY ARE BASICALLY TOUCHING! ONE TINY SLIP OF PRESSING THE GAS TOO MUCH AND I'D HAVE GONE THROUGH THAT OTHER CAR! I CAN'T TAKE THIS! CALL THE GODS! I'M HAVING A PANIC ATTACK!!! WHY AM I THE ONLY PERSON IN THIS COUNTRY WHO THINKS 10 CM IS WAY TOO LITTLE FOR A CAR THAT CAN DRIVE 120 KMS AN HOUR, WEIGHTS 1000KG AND IS LIKE FOUR AND A HALF METERS LONG?!

• Yay!
Reactions: WitheringAway and Foresight
S

summers

Visionary
Nov 4, 2020
All I have to say...

U

Ufibuf

Feb 7, 2022
Driving is terrifying, it gives me the worst anxiety. My dad is a driver and he tried to teach me stuff but I just can't focus on it, it's so scary.

Foresight

Foresight

Enlightened
Jun 14, 2019
My fear of driving increased with my agoraphobia.

thinkkank

thinkkank

Experienced
Oct 16, 2019
I think anybody who's a bit spacy and prone to getting stuck in their head is nervous about situations where their safety requires constant alertness. I definitely understand that feeling.

this is why I can't drive. I can't remain alert, while keeping information about the road and my car in my head. I would panic and get into an accident

Reactions: WitheringAway and whatevs
M

mediocre

trapped here
Nov 9, 2019
I'm afraid to drive but not because of myself but because of other people. People are really stupid now. Especially dumb kids. I live in Ireland so the roads are narrow and in a bad state. It's too scary to drive most of the time.

whatevs

whatevs

Mining for copium in the weirdest places.
Jan 15, 2022
I'm terrified to learn to drive because of my sleep disorder, that makes me predictably spacy and slow. But at the same time it's another thing that piles up on the category of not-being-an-actual-adult...

So I plan of trying if I manage to get my shit together.

LONE WOLF.

LONE WOLF.

PUNISHER.
Nov 4, 2020
I miss driving so much, Car's Van's and Motorbikes, l just can't afford to drive anymore and it's a proper bitch because driving at night in the rain is one of the few things that bring me a little joy!

WitheringAway

WitheringAway

Ima shake the champagne bottle...
Jun 23, 2020
Thanks everyone for sharing your feelings I really appreciate you all I come back to read here everyday it's reassuring thanks
How are things at work? Better? Remembered your thread before.
Same struggle everyday. Some days are even harder but I get through it. Thanks for asking

Last edited:
dovistico

dovistico

Jan 12, 2019
I got ADHD and anxiety. With or without medication, I am too nervous and anxious to drive. For this reason, I completely abstain from driving, even though I have a driving license. Since there is enough public transport where I live, this is feasible.

• Aww..