N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I am very anxious like all the time for different reason. One reason is violation of privacy. I think other members were leaked and I wanted to think about in this thread how one can prevent that. Maybe someone has some tips for me. I am often quite paranoid when I post stuff online.

1. Don't write your real name. (Rather use genius usernames like no name so that you puzzle people into thinking you had no name.)

2. Don't post a picture of you. Especially not your face.

3. Don't post pictures you took due to meta data. I think there is no meta deta in screenshots but I am not fully sure.

4. Don't specify where you live. I often mention in which country I live because I like to tell stories about my country but other people even keep that a secret.

5. Don't depict your outer appearance in detail (?)

6. Depending on your job don't mention it.

7. Be careful what other people know of you in real life when you post stuff here. Maybe I am a little bit too paranoid.

8. One big mistake linking your social media accounts or similar things like that.

Could you name more suggestions?

• Love
  • Informative
Reactions: artificial_ineptness, not-2-b-the-answer, tetra and 3 others
MelancholyMagic

MelancholyMagic

For my next trick, I will disappear
Dec 12, 2021
Maybe I am a little bit too paranoid.
Not at all. All your tips are good.

I think that I put too much info online, even though I don't do nearly as much as most people I know of. Really, posting on this or any forum is more than I should be doing.

Reactions: 4390101 and Sick of it all
S

Smart No More

Visionary
May 5, 2021
Use a vpn or tor to browse the site. Tor is slower so most will prefer a vpn.

It's possible to do a reverse IP check (kind of like reverse image search) to discover your internets location. Which for many will be home or mobile data contract connected to their ID.

Its not fool proof and some may argue its overkill but at least a vpn is a better alternative to searving it up on a plate.

It's also probably a good idea to use a private tab for browsing in. Especially if you use social media and apps. It's really a lot of mental gymnastics to do all that's possible and the easiest option is to delete all google and social media cookies, apps (and accounts tbh). If possible use a separate device for things you want to keep separate from your irl life. If that's not possible then at keast a separate, privacy oriented browser. I'd suggest a partition or bootable/mobile OS like tails but anyone who already knows how to use those things wouldn't need advice and anyone who doesn't would probably not be inclined to go to those lengths. A vpn and private tab are at least the lesser evil with very minimal effort.

Particularly if you're about to detail your recent delivery feom D or IC and follow up with a goodbye post.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: artificial_ineptness, Sick of it all and rationaltake
S

Someone123

Illuminated
Oct 19, 2021
I am very anxious like all the time for different reason. One reason is violation of privacy. I think other members were leaked and I wanted to think about in this thread how one can prevent that. Maybe someone has some tips for me. I am often quite paranoid when I post stuff online.

1. Don't write your real name. (Rather use genius usernames like no name so that you puzzle people into thinking you had no name.)

2. Don't post a picture of you. Especially not your face.

3. Don't post pictures you took due to meta data. I think there is no meta deta in screenshots but I am not fully sure.

4. Don't specify where you live. I often mention in which country I live because I like to tell stories about my country but other people even keep that a secret.

5. Don't depict your outer appearance in detail (?)

6. Depending on your job don't mention it.

7. Be careful what other people know of you in real life when you post stuff here. Maybe I am a little bit too paranoid.

8. One big mistake linking your social media accounts or similar things like that.

Could you name more suggestions?
I think these are good but I don't think sharing the country hurts anything without other identifying information, and I don't think that descriptions of a person's physical appearance would matter unless it was something really unique, such as having two noses or possibly being over ten feet tall or something like that- those could be identifying. Even mentioning a profession, unless it is really unique, probably won't go anywhere unless you share unique details about the job. Staying away from photos or identifyin formation is important but some of these things are not unique enough to worry about, in my opinion.

Reactions: Celerity, rationaltake, Smart No More and 1 other person
S

Smart No More

Visionary
May 5, 2021
@Someone123 it can be slightly confusing seeing you and OP in the same thread. :))

• Yay!
Reactions: Celerity, katagiri83 and Sick of it all