N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I think jobs that are very boring and montonous are underrated how hard they are to handle. Not many people have the skills to cope with so much boredom.
I think being a cashier is very hard and unthankful. Physical jobs on constructions sites must be very hard especially during summer. And they expect these guy to work until old age.

There are many people shitting on journalists. I think it can be shitty to be a journalist because the income isn't that good. But the intellectual requirements are often not that high. There is much hatred against journalists but not that much compared to local politicians at least where I live. Is it a stereotype that journalists have an easy life? Idk.

The suicide rate among dentists seems to be pretty high. I never fully understood why.

I feel ignorant when I say these jobs are overrated if I never worked such a job.

As a teenager I wanted to become teacher. However, with these kids I think it would not be good. I would have had to witness a lot of bullying that destroyed me completely. I would not want that.

I think the difficulty of being unemployed is underrated if we consider all the worrying about financials and the future. It will probably drive me to commit suicide.

What do you think?

Reactions: Praestat_Mori
derpyderpins

derpyderpins

Proud Normie
Sep 19, 2023
I finally seem to have a good job as a lawyer, where work is actually not so bad, but it was not worth the investment of time and money - plus I am a bit of an exception in my position. I advise anyone I care about not to go to law school.

Travel Nurse (RN) is very underrated since COVID. Although pay has come down from the peak, it's still really good when you consider the insane tax breaks they get. You don't really have to "travel" if you keep your residence paperwork tight, and you only work 3 days a week. If another COVID or similar broke out, you can make bank for 6 months a year and take the other 6 months off because they work in ~ 3 month contracts.

Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
My job is pretty underrated in that I don't actually have to do that much but it can sometimes feel stressful in the moment and with the internal drama I've created I'm shocked they haven't fired me yet.

enduringwinter

enduringwinter

flower, water
Jun 20, 2024
Most underrated is def cleaners.

• Love
Reactions: fleetingnight, ConfusedClouds and Praestat_Mori
DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023
Some highly overrated examples - finance, engineering, computer science, disaster/emergency management (contractor, not government), NGO's/nonprofits

Reactions: GuessWhosBack, Cinnamorolls and Praestat_Mori
sos

sos

Experienced
Jul 22, 2024
wdy think being a cashier is very hard and unthankfuk

N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
wdy think being a cashier is very hard and unthankfuk
Nobody likes them. The customers are often rude and it must be boring as hell. And it is paid very badly.

VeryShy

VeryShy

Seriously disabled due to autism and schizophrenia
Jun 21, 2024
My parents spent their whole careers as professors (Elementary School to University), and were severely underpaid the whole time. So that is one of the examples.

Reactions: GuessWhosBack, Cinnamorolls and Praestat_Mori
DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023
PhD - poor, helpless and desperate
Or is it?
BS is bullshit, MS is more shit and PhD is piled higher, deeper
I'm joking but I'm also not.
I know a guy with a PhD working at Microsoft making about a million bucks a year. He has an EXTREMELY specialized and RARE specialty. But I know a lot of poor PhD's or ones just making maybe $60K a year.

What metric are you using? What jobs are the most stressful but have the mistaken perception of being "easy?"

I mean, I can tell you from experience, entry-level investment bankers can definitely work 80-100 hours a week. I know there has been much debate and attempts to fix this in recent years. But it's essentially trading your life for money. Not worth it. The burn out rate is insanely high.

I said the jobs like engineering because my friend and I found that most civil engineers hated their jobs and were very depressed and not very well paid. Engineers (can) work long shitty hours in a lot of fields, and your pay can definitely get capped pretty quickly if you don't expand your skillset into business and management. Thats where the big bucks are.
I said finance because a lot of finance jobs are just insurance salesmen for whole life. I said computer science because at big companies you specialize in one single, small detail. You aren't "designing a microchip." You're assisting a team to design one aspect of one component of a chip. Not a good example because I an exaggerating in that instance but you get the point. Nothing like movies and TV present it to be like. Those hacking scenes just… 🤦‍♀️

I said disaster management and NGO's because it's basically just government corruption. NGO's - $7 million for a trans-awareness Facebook page. I created a low-quality Facebook page with 50 views, pay me $7 million. Nonprofit is a lot of things: Disaster cleanup, refugee humanitarian aide there's a shit ton of these non profits they all do different things but they all operate the same way. A lot of volunteer and non-profit NGO experience. I mean you can have military service or whatever but at the end of the day it's about connections.

For the most part, making a ton money today you're either skirting around taxes in a nonprofit or government contracting which is a huge racket or in the medical field is another huge racket or certain areas in the education field which is another huge racket.

There is a famous saying: No man is worth x amount.

Reactions: Blurry_Buildings, GuessWhosBack and Praestat_Mori
N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
PhD - poor, helpless and desperate
Or is it?
BS is bullshit, MS is more shit and PhD is piled higher, deeper
I'm joking but I'm also not.
I know a guy with a PhD working at Microsoft making about a million bucks a year. He has an EXTREMELY specialized and RARE specialty. But I know a lot of poor PhD's or ones just making maybe $60K a year.

What metric are you using? What jobs are the most stressful but have the mistaken perception of being "easy?"

I mean, I can tell you from experience, entry-level investment bankers can definitely work 80-100 hours a week. I know there has been much debate and attempts to fix this in recent years. But it's essentially trading your life for money. Not worth it. The burn out rate is insanely high.

I said the jobs like engineering because my friend and I found that most civil engineers hated their jobs and were very depressed and not very well paid. Engineers (can) work long shitty hours in a lot of fields, and your pay can definitely get capped pretty quickly if you don't expand your skillset into business and management. Thats where the big bucks are.
I said finance because a lot of finance jobs are just insurance salesmen for whole life. I said computer science because at big companies you specialize in one single, small detail. You aren't "designing a microchip." You're assisting a team to design one aspect of one component of a chip. Not a good example because I an exaggerating in that instance but you get the point. Nothing like movies and TV present it to be like. Those hacking scenes just… 🤦‍♀️

I said disaster management and NGO's because it's basically just government corruption. NGO's - $7 million for a trans-awareness Facebook page. I created a low-quality Facebook page with 50 views, pay me $7 million. Nonprofit is a lot of things: Disaster cleanup, refugee humanitarian aide there's a shit ton of these non profits they all do different things but they all operate the same way. A lot of volunteer and non-profit NGO experience. I mean you can have military service or whatever but at the end of the day it's about connections.

For the most part, making a ton money today you're either skirting around taxes in a nonprofit or government contracting which is a huge racket or in the medical field is another huge racket or certain areas in the education field which is another huge racket.

There is a famous saying: No man is worth x amount.
I did not specify any metric because for such a vague question it is hard to define it. I wanted to collect some opinions based on life experiences. I think if I gave an intricate metric most people would either ignore the metric or the whole thread.
But your answer was interesting.

Reactions: DarkRange55 and Praestat_Mori
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
I finally seem to have a good job as a lawyer, where work is actually not so bad, but it was not worth the investment of time and money - plus I am a bit of an exception in my position. I advise anyone I care about not to go to law school.
Lawyers can make very good money but it depends on whether you're employed or you have your own chancellery, have reputation and so on. Then you can set your own price for the cases. This is probably country dependent what is possible and what is not.

Really good/top lawyers (depending on the complexity of the case and potential punishment) are often worth what they cost (own experience).

What's often not worth the money are "therapists" and "psychologists". Ofc it's country dependent what it costs avg. per hour but listening to a patient for 45 minutes and the regular costs for that are 130-140$ that's way overpriced. Honestly I'd be glad if someone wanted to vent to me and agrees to pay me that amount for just listening ... ^^

Many jobs that really keep the economy running are underpaid/underrated.

Reactions: Ironborn, GuessWhosBack and DarkRange55
astr4

astr4

memento mori
Mar 27, 2019
landlords. most overrated "job" ever.

• Yay!
Reactions: Ironborn, Dr Iron Arc and Praestat_Mori
DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023
Lawyers can make very good money but it depends on whether you're employed or you have your own chancellery, have reputation and so on. Then you can set your own price for the cases. This is probably country dependent what is possible and what is not.

Really good/top lawyers (depending on the complexity of the case and potential punishment) are often worth what they cost (own experience).

What's often not worth the money are "therapists" and "psychologists". Ofc it's country dependent what it costs avg. per hour but listening to a patient for 45 minutes and the regular costs for that are 130-140$ that's way overpriced. Honestly I'd be glad if someone wanted to vent to me and agrees to pay me that amount for just listening ... ^^

I know a lawyer who charges between $900-$1,200 an hour. But she's the best.
Law doesn't have the money it used to. Most people settle out of court now or through arbitration. Much cheaper and faster. The big money is if you make partner but it's harder to get there now.
(Many) therapists are just there to lick your ass.

Reactions: Blurry_Buildings and Praestat_Mori
Downdraft

Downdraft

Feb 6, 2024
I know a guy with a PhD working at Microsoft making about a million bucks a year. He has an EXTREMELY specialized and RARE specialty.
👀

Sorry to derail, but with your network of contacts you could fight poverty lol.

GuessWhosBack

GuessWhosBack

If you have doubts, reach out. Here to listen.
Jul 15, 2024

I'm lucky enough that my job covers therapy anonymously, otherwise I would not even bother.

I would say the most underrated jobs are the ones that deal with social services, such as carers, social workers, etc. They are usually not well paid, and I think they're needed more than ever.

Ironborn

Ironborn

Experienced
Jan 29, 2024
I was an HGV driver in the UK and you do not know stress until you take a 44 tonne, 54 foot long lorry up a thousand year old country lane.

On the other hand some of the drivers I have met I wouldn't trust with a shopping trolley.

P

Praestat_Mori

May 21, 2023
I'm lucky enough that my job covers therapy anonymously, otherwise I would not even bother.
What's an anonymous therapy covered by job? Sorry, my ignorance. Sounds interesting but I don't get the "anonymous" part. If the job is the cause for the reason why therapy is needed therapy won't have any effects - imo.

GuessWhosBack

GuessWhosBack

If you have doubts, reach out. Here to listen.
Jul 15, 2024
What's an anonymous therapy covered by job? Sorry, my ignorance. Sounds interesting but I don't get the "anonymous" part. If the job is the cause for the reason why therapy is needed therapy won't have any effects - imo.
That means the job covers therapy costs but the patient remains anonymous.

P

Praestat_Mori

May 21, 2023
That means the job covers therapy costs but the patient remains anonymous.
Very interesting!! I never heard about such an insurance. I hope it can benefit you!!

• Hugs
Reactions: GuessWhosBack