FireFox

FireFox

Enlightened
Apr 8, 2020
I was raised Roman Catholic and as I grow older I believe the question of whether life is worth living really depends on the perspective of the individual and there is no clear answer to that question. There never will be because life is too complex and we humans are not same in how we cope with life and see the world.

For example there is plenty of inspirstional media stories of disabled people enjoying life and finding meaning despite their challenges of their disabilities however at the same time there is also many stories of disabled people wanting euthanasia or assisted suicide because they feel their lives are not worth living because of their disabilities. Both of these are very valid experiences and which path the disabled person decides to takes they should not be judged for. There plenty of wealthy people who have everything but deeply unhappy with their lives then you have poor people despite living in poverty still able to appreciate life and the things they have, I have seen this first hand from travelling.

At the end of the day whether life is worth living there is no clear answer and it's ulimately up to the individual to decide for themselves. My religious family think I am wrong and tell me I should be "grateful" I am alive.At 26 years old given how my life has turned out and this year especially I now believe life is not worth living anymore since January 1st 2023 everything has been go wrong for me and its been the worst year of my life. I have always been determined to make everything work out because that is who I am but now I am done fighting. This events of this year has now made my future suicide at 30 now inevitable.

Reactions: amongthestarz, anhedonicNfoggy, Passersby and 2 others
Passersby

Passersby

Trapped in space and time
Aug 29, 2019
Yes I agree. It is up to the individual. Overall most people won't end up killing themselves. I don't want to live through old age with all the unimaginable things that could arise at any time. Hospitals, nursing homes staring at walls, playing cards and bingo isn't how I want to end up. There is no way to escape death for any of us. Minimizing our current suffering along with having a plan to exit feels good. Overriding our SI is super hard though and I guess that's one reason why more people don't go for it.

Reactions: Harrow and sserafim
LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
Well yeah.

Some people suddenly rendered paralyzed have chosen to artificially terminate their lives.

Other people rendered paralyzed have chosen to go on.

FireFox

FireFox

Enlightened
Apr 8, 2020
Well yeah.

Some people suddenly rendered paralyzed have chosen to artificially terminate their lives.

Other people rendered paralyzed have chosen to go on.
@LaVieEnRose Unfortunately many ordinary members of the public along with suicide prevention campaigns and mental health campaigns keep repeating the mantra "life is worth living", "life is beautiful" but we have to be honest there is no clear answer to whether or not life is worth living.
There is nothing wrong with there being no answer because life itself is a mystery.

Reactions: sserafim and anhedonicNfoggy
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
It could never be for me, I view non-existence as better under all circumstances, in fact eternal nothingness is perfection to me. I don't see any value in meaningless and unnecessary suffering, existing just doesn't interest and appeal to me.
And it's just the reality that for many people the only comfort lies in death which is why it's insensitive how life worshipping beliefs are pushed onto people, all those who don't wish to exist should be able to cease existing in peace.

Reactions: anhedonicNfoggy and cscott
リンさん

リンさん

Rina • she/her, lesbian
Sep 9, 2023
I really do wonder if more people would consider suicide if it wasn't for the omnipresent stigma around it.

Like, if someone knows they have genetic conditions that flare up at old age, or if they don't want to/can't save for retirement (though it is a social issue, and it's obviously not something we should ever have to CTB over). So many possible reasons.

Reactions: sserafim