N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I am currently thinking about some titles which the newspaper wrote on this forum.

The main title that I keep thinking about is "Where the Despairing Log On, and Learn Ways to Die" of the New York Times.

Then there is the one of vice. "People Are Dying After Joining a 'Pro-Choice' Suicide Forum. How Much Is the Site to Blame?"

The one of the BBC. "'Without suicide forums, (person removed) might still be alive'." I removed the name. Personally I would never want to that my name was used for such an article. It would make me pretty angry. But I don't know the person so I cannot make a judgment.

Personally I found many of these articles one-sided. The science papers which I read on suicide forums were way more nuanced. Though I am not sure whether their analysis would apply to this forum.

I can somewhat understand from which perspective they see this website. Suicide is bad. Suicide should not be the solution. Vulnerable people should be protected.

But I just have a different perspecitive probably due to my own experience. The society is not nuanced about suicide. Talking about suicidality is very stigmatized. Even the psychiatry has a long way to go. When I confronted professionals with my wish for assisted suicide most them reacted not in an helpful way. "You don't belong to these crazy people. You are not one of them and you don't want to become one of them." This therapist was very experienced, has a good reputation and really liked me. But it was very obivious he was overburdened with a longterm wish to die of a patient. College does not train the professionals the right way to be confronted with it. I have the feeling most of the professionals don't want too much responsiblity, are afraid of legal or maybe ethical problems touching the topic. Personally I rather think they make it too comfortable with their position. I got replies like there is absolutely no discussion about assisted suicide. We won't debate that. No single word about that.

Yeah and what do think is my response when I hear something like that? My doctors will deny me in every single case a right to die and don't even want to allow a discussion about the quality of the arguments. I feel belittled and not taken seriously. When I am not allowed to express my feelings with them I search for another valve. And this is where this forum comes into place. Some people really have the idea suicide must be prohibited under any circumstances. Often a peaceful way to die is illegal and many methods are very dangerous.

It feels like the prohibition of alcohol to me. The people who want to get it will still get it. But under way more dangerous and unregulated circumstances.
But this is only my opinion I am no expert.

I think the reason why I think so much about "Where the Despairing Log On, and Learn Ways to Die" is because I can relate to it. Not to the whole article but the title. Of course this forum is way more. A place to vent and express extreme pain for example.

The problem is in my opinion suicide is some way overregulated and in other ways too underregulated because it is still a very stigmatized topic. In Switzerland they are for example more developed in this instance compared to my country. As I said when peaceful methods are all illegal under all circumstances places will emerge to offer them. This is quite common for the human species.

When my doctors don't even want to listen to my arguments why shall I want to talk with them? I mean I still tried therapy but often circumvented the topic because they acted like suicide must be circumvented under any possible circumstances.

The problem of these articles is in my opinion the following they deny the reality that people are committing suicide. People always have committed suicide and still will in 100 years. I mean suicide is not illegal. How do you think shall people get the knowledge to die? Or do you want that suicide becomes illegal? Most peaceful methods are already illegal. When there is no offical way to die. No offical way to get information how to die. Why do you wonder that places with this information emerge? For me his is rather a symptom of a wrong approach to this topic. In so many countries assisted suicide is illegal or at least very expensive.

I don't have the money to apply for it. My parents threaten to stop supporting me when I apply for it. My professionals don't want to hear a single word about applying for assisted suicide. I am reaching my limit. I think suicide should be better regulated and in the right way. But for me the society, doctors and politicians have a huge share of responsibility concerning this problem.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Forever Sleep, chloramine, hamvil and 3 others
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I think that those kind of articles are nonsense written by people who believe in delusions. Not worth reading.
The truth is that even if pro lifers want to deny this fact, suicide is simply inevitable in a world like this. After all, we will all die eventually so it makes sense for people to want to take control over when we die. There is no reason to make suicide so unnecessarily difficult and complicated for people, if there is no method resources then people will just find a way to ctb anyway, only that suicide will likely be more painful and risky for them.

Suicide should be respected as being a part of life, as we never asked to be here so why should we be expected to suffer until old age. Where is the value and benefit to enduring pain and endless problems anyway. But if the right to die is respected in society then there would be no need for suicide forums in the first place. If suicide was not so stigmatised then people could have open conversations about this subject without all of the secrecy in planning methods. But it really is ridiculous how stigmatised suicide is. Like if people want to live then that is their decision, but they should at least respect the fact that not everybody feels the same way. We all have different experiences of life after all.

Reactions: deadliftEnjoyer, Superdeterminist, peaches and 1 other person
BruhXDDDDD

BruhXDDDDD

Student
Feb 18, 2022
tbf "Where the Despairing Log On, and Learn Ways to Die" sounds kind of badass

• Yay!
Reactions: FrozenMango, Forever Sleep, chloramine and 3 others
A

akirat9

エクトリアン
Sep 23, 2022
they force me alive and force me to still alive for who? Ok. Force me alive for what? oK. but not want to pay in the least to ease my suffering. how many times will this happen before the body gives out and just die. No one has an answer for that.

• Hugs
Reactions: onlyway63, deadliftEnjoyer and KuriGohan&Kamehameha
Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
"Where the Despairing Log On, and Learn Ways to Die"
I learned ways to die when I bought the Peaceful Pill Handbook, plus there are various other sources online and in print. So that part is already flat-out wrong.

"People Are Dying After Joining a 'Pro-Choice' Suicide Forum. How Much Is the Site to Blame?"
What part of the word "choice" don't you understand?

"'Without suicide forums, (person removed) might still be alive'."
Perhaps the perspective of (person removed) might be worth considering, since we are talking about their life. Just because they are not here to defend themselves, doesn't make them wrong.

In all cases, we are spoken of as animals who must be rounded up and sent back to our cages like the others.

Reactions: apple2myeye!, aleph_zero, katagiri83 and 2 others
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
tbf "Where the Despairing Log On, and Learn Ways to Die" sounds kind of badass
Exactly! It was how I discovered this place in the first place. They seem to have no idea that a person who is/ has been suicidal will see this and think they've (finally) found their way out.