wildflowers1996

wildflowers1996

Mage
Oct 14, 2023
nothing physical "disappears" does it? like when you blow out a flame, the hydrogen and carbon exists, just in a different form?

but it is different for the non physical? when you sleep, where does your consciousness go? and the same when you die?

Reactions: Forever Sleep
EvisceratedJester

EvisceratedJester

|| What Else Could I Be But a Jester ||
Oct 21, 2023
Consciousness stems from the brain so when you die so does your consciousness.

Reactions: ijustwishtodie and FujoshiNeet
wildflowers1996

wildflowers1996

Mage
Oct 14, 2023
Consciousness stems from the brain so when you die so does your consciousness.
is it not possible that somehow your brain could be "reformed" again?

like if you blend fruit together and make a smoothie, you could, with great difficulty, put all the fruit back together again

so even if the brain decomposes, if all the right "parts" were reassembled, would you not be conscious again?

J

JustAnx

Oct 12, 2024
I also struggle with the anxiety of non existance.

The "best" answers we can actually get are gonna be based on faith, rather than certainty.

• Love
Reactions: HereTomorrow and wildflowers1996
EvisceratedJester

EvisceratedJester

Oct 21, 2023
is it not possible that somehow your brain could be "reformed" again?

like if you blend fruit together and make a smoothie, you could, with great difficulty, put all the fruit back together again

so even if the brain decomposes, if all the right "parts" were reassembled, would you not be conscious again?
No, that's not possible. That doesn't even make sense.

Reactions: ijustwishtodie
wildflowers1996

wildflowers1996

Mage
Oct 14, 2023
No, that's not possible. That doesn't even make sense.
I don't see why not?

if you think as the brain as being like a computer

if you smashed up a computer into 1000 pieces so it wasn't functional, but you found someone able to reassemble all of the computer parts, then why wouldn't the computer work again?

AvaCutey

AvaCutey

Pragmatist
Oct 9, 2024
be me, consciousness
basically a fucked up rave in your skull
neurons = tweaked out ravers
neurotransmitters = sketchy drugs flooding the place
music is brutal industrial set
brainstem dropping beats
limbic system lays down filthy bass, all raw fucking emotion
sensory cortices screeching reality riffs
prefrontal cortex howling half-formed thoughts
working memory is the mosh pit
long-term memories hiding in dark corners
suddenly hear sirens
ohshit.jpg
it's the goddamn SWAT team
death_raid.exe initiated
power cuts out on the edges
senses going dark
music starts warping
brain's swimming in its own chemical soup
some ravers seeing God tripping balls
trying to keep the party going
one last insane surge
DJ cranks everything to 11
ravers go apeshit
but it's no use
SWAT breaches the warehouse
systems crashing left and right
flashbangs popping
smoke grenades hissing
kicking in every door in your brain
finally reach the main room
cut the power
everything goes dark
party = over

Reactions: divinemistress36
EvisceratedJester

EvisceratedJester

Oct 21, 2023
I don't see why not?

if you think as the brain as being like a computer

if you smashed up a computer into 1000 pieces so it wasn't functional, but you found someone able to reassemble all of the computer parts, then why wouldn't the computer work again?
Yeah, the thing is, the brain isn't a computer. It is made of organic matter that, once it decomposes, cannot be brought back.

This isn't like smashing a computer into 1000 pieces.

wildflowers1996

wildflowers1996

Mage
Oct 14, 2023
Yeah, the thing is, the brain isn't a computer. It is made of organic matter that, once it decomposes, cannot be brought back.

This isn't like smashing a computer into 1000 pieces.
"Decomposition or rot is the process by which dead organic substances are broken down into simpler organic or inorganic matter such as carbon dioxide, water, simple sugars and mineral salts."

why can't the simple matter be put back together again, in theory?

DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023
nothing physical "disappears" does it? like when you blow out a flame, the hydrogen and carbon exists, just in a different form?

but it is different for the non physical? when you sleep, where does your consciousness go? and the same when you die?
When you sleep, where does your consciousness go? And the same when you die? Nothing physical "disappears" does it?
The organization changes. The movements of ions become less organized.

Like when you blow out a flame, the hydrogen and carbon exists, just in a different form?
But they stop (or greatly slow) their joining to become water. It is not the H2 and the O2 that are flame, but the organized rapid joining of them.

After decomposition, why can't the simple matter be put back together again, in theory?
It can, in theory.
"Decomposition or rot is the process by which dead organic substances are broken down into simpler organic or inorganic matter such as carbon dioxide, water, simple sugars and mineral salts."

why can't the simple matter be put back together again, in theory

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: wildflowers1996
EvisceratedJester

EvisceratedJester

Oct 21, 2023

why can't the simple matter be put back together again, in theory?
Your brain does not magically get reconstructed after it decomposes. Once it breaks down that's it.

A

affirmatice

Aug 31, 2024
consciousness is gone. Same as before you were born. What was it like before you were born? It'll be exactly the same.

Honestly my biggest fear is getting reincarnated. Not necessarily like in a spiritual or religious way.

But think about how you were born and suddenly conscious. Technically the same thing could happen again right? I mean you wouldn't remember anything about your past life. But still

• Hugs
Reactions: ijustwishtodie and wildflowers1996
wildflowers1996

wildflowers1996

Mage
Oct 14, 2023
Your brain does not magically get reconstructed after it decomposes. Once it breaks down that's it.
imagine that time was infinite - eventually, wouldn't coincidence lead to the same matter somehow being arranged in the same way again?

F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
Would you say you were fully conscious when you were born? When you were a month old, even a year old? What was your sense of self like back then? What is your earliest memory? Do you have pictures or video of yourself as a baby in places you don't remember? If someone showed you a picture of yourself as an adult, some place you don't remember- wouldn't you be worried? Like- what was going on with your consciousness if you don't remember being in a place you actually were?

It seems to me like, what we understand to be consciousness- our sense of self and our memories grows as the brain does. When we're new born babies, we're more like animals living on instinct. Plus- if anything happens to the brain- eg. Alzeimers, brain damage- it messes with our memories and personality even.

Consciousness (to me) seems to be reliant on how the brain functions. How our brains function come down to what genetics we were blessed or cursed with. Plus, I imagine what we 'feed' our brains. Both in terms of nutrition and health- eg. boxers or rugby players are at risk of concussion and brain damage.

Plus, what we 'feed' them in terms of life experience, knowledge and any trauma we pick up. All that stuff surely shapes what we understand to be as ourselves and, all of that is unique to each individual- surely?

If you were born 100 years ago to different parents (obviously,) in a different country, as a different race and gender, into a different culture and religion- would you still be you? Surely not. You'd still be able to experience life and think about it but, the way you did that would be unique to that person. Every aspect of our experience surely adds to who we think we are.

As for dreams, I don't believe our consciousness goes anywhere. It just lies dormant while we sleep. I'm assuming dreams work on a different level because, we're not exactly self aware to the same degree we are in waking life. (At least, I'm not.) I experience dreams more as stuff that's just happening to me. But, I don't think they're real in the way we understand physical reality. I can fly in my dreams. I can't fly in reality (sadly.)

Put another way- say someone clones you. They are physically the same as you now. But- they won't have had your memories. They don't have your knowledge. All that stuff is the equivalent of software I suppose. All they have is the hardware to be able to live. Will they be exactly like you? No, they'll only look like you and have your physical potential. Would they even know how to walk, feed themselves, go to the toilet, read? Not sure you can clone memories across. What kind of life would they have if they are a grown adult and can't do any of that stuff? I imagine people would tease them.

I suppose it depends on what you think of as consciousness. Is it just a sense of being alive? In which case, who knows if that gets recycled. Although, I don't see why it should. Or, do you mean a sense of self? Surely, that is reliant on whatever body it grows in.

EvisceratedJester

EvisceratedJester

Oct 21, 2023
imagine that time was infinite - eventually, wouldn't coincidence lead to the same matter somehow being arranged in the same way again?
I feel like you are grasping at straws in the hope in the death isn't it, but it probably is. You have to accept that.

AwakeTooLong

AwakeTooLong

Ascend or death
Mar 4, 2024
I like to think it'll be the same as before we existed. So, quite literally nothingness.
consciousness is gone. Same as before you were born. What was it like before you were born? It'll be exactly the same.

Honestly my biggest fear is getting reincarnated. Not necessarily like in a spiritual or religious way.

But think about how you were born and suddenly conscious. Technically the same thing could happen again right? I mean you wouldn't remember anything about your past life. But still
I personally wouldn't mind reincarnation if it was to my liking and under ideal circumstances but that's not how the world works, sadly.