Sadness20

Sadness20

Experienced
Nov 1, 2021
This is so unhelpful. Invalidating ones feeling doesn't help at all it just makes the person feel worthless because they can't handle something which is said to be so "easy" Life is different for everyone. Mental health shouldnt be taken as lightly as it is taken. People should show they care instead of trivializing your feelings.

• Love
Reactions: Journeytoletgo, ohangiedontyouweep, Shadowplay and 11 others
Labean

Labean

Nov 5, 2021
Hi. But we are "a little" selfish beings, remember. Well, the method of shaming the person asking for help sometimes works.

• Aww..
Reactions: Susannah and patheticpartner
Scribble Fan

Scribble Fan

I'm out!
May 30, 2019
I hate it when people do this. Like, no shit, there's always someone who has it worse. Doesn't mean my problems don't exist anymore.

• Love
Reactions: Journeytoletgo, Susannah, Toonloon and 8 others
demuic

demuic

Life was a mistake
Sep 12, 2020
By that logic, no one except the one person on earth who has the hardest life in the world should ever complain because someone else has it worse.

I never see anyone say "you can't be happy because someone else probably has it better."

It's total bullshit.

• Love
Reactions: Journeytoletgo, callme, Shadowplay and 12 others
Labean

Labean

Nov 5, 2021
Согласно этой логике, никто, кроме одного человека на земле, у которого самая тяжелая жизнь в мире, никогда не должен жаловаться на то, что у кого-то еще хуже.

Я никогда не видел, чтобы кто-нибудь сказал: «Ты не можешь быть счастлив, потому что у кого-то, наверное, лучше».

Это полная чушь.
Привет. Уловка здесь немного другая. Кто-то может, например, поднять 200 кг, а стоящий рядом человек - нет. Как гласит пословица, «то, что хорошо для одного человека, для другого - смерть, и наоборот».

• Hugs
Reactions: callme, patheticpartner and demuic
Sprite_Geist

Sprite_Geist

NULL
May 27, 2020
The phrase is a slightly less impolite way of dismissing the suffering of a suicidal person. Nothing more.

Hi. But we are "a little" selfish beings, remember. Well, the method of shaming the person asking for help sometimes works.
Yes shaming may sometimes work, but it prevents suicide for the wrong reason. A suicidal individual should reverse their decision if, firstly, they wish to live, and secondly: because they feel welcome. They should not continue to live simply because of guilt.

• Hugs
Reactions: Journeytoletgo, Toonloon, patheticpartner and 3 others
Labean

Labean

Nov 5, 2021
Эта фраза - чуть менее невежливый способ избавиться от страданий суицидального человека. Больше ничего.

Да, стыд иногда может сработать, но он предотвращает самоубийство по неправильной причине. Суицидальный человек должен изменить свое решение, если, во-первых, он хочет жить, а во-вторых: потому что чувствует себя желанным. Они не должны продолжать жить просто из-за вины.
Я согласен с тем, что на человека можно просто наложить вину.

• Hugs
Reactions: patheticpartner
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
Since when is suffering a competition. Yes, there is always someone who has it worse as this life holds unlimited potential for suffering. There is no limit as to how bad things can get. You are right that it invalidates the suffering that people are going through. This is the type of thing that is likely to be said by a non suicidal person who would never be able to comprehend what it is like. I think sayings like these are why many people choose to keep things to themselves rather than open up to others.

• Love
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, Journeytoletgo, Susannah and 8 others
Labean

Labean

Nov 5, 2021
С каких это пор идет конкуренция. Да, всегда есть тот, кому хуже, потому что в этой жизни есть неограниченные возможности для страданий. Нет предела тому, как все может быть плохо. Вы правы в том, что это сводит на нет страдания, через которые проходят люди. Это тот тип вещей, который, скорее всего, скажет не суицидальный человек, который никогда не сможет понять, на что это похоже. Я думаю, что подобные высказывания являются причиной того, что многие люди предпочитают держать вещи при себе, а не открываться другим.
Да, страданиям нет предела. Как и счастью нет предела.

• Hugs
Reactions: patheticpartner

44nutz1977

Oct 19, 2021
I dunno about this one.

There are times in my life looking back I am so glad I never killed myself. My personal mental decline has been.. well. Exactly that. A descent into madness. A relatively slow decline. Yet now it seems as if I cannot slip any further.
Hit bottom.

I held on and hoped that my illness would not spiral downwards. I thought things cannot feel or get worse. Yet they did.

Yet also. I did have some wonderful life moments. I think it's a terrible shame anyone should kill themselves before at least 20yrs old... Though I also understand our situations are all so different.

One of my illnesses is alcoholism. That taught me to be grateful for small things. In essence that IS looking at your situation and realising how much worse it could be, how much worse other people may be. That their pain truly IS worse than yours. You could help them. Or you could feel more of your own pain. My alcoholism is a very selfish disease anyway. I can be very selfish a times though I try so vey hard not to be so inwards.

Try and fight those demons.
Especially you younger people. It's worth hanging around if you can. Taking your life is your decision. Of course it is.. but you must be so so certain that it is your only option. Fight the demons. If you can.

The world is cunning, baffling, powerful. Mother Earth is crazy beautiful yet astoundingly cruel. The whole Ying/Yang.

I believe suffering is essential for growth anyway. Problem with mw.. I have my shell.. my physical shell. The shell is shattered now.
I cannot fight back anymore. Too tired. Seen enough. Done enough. Tried my best. So I'm leaving within the next month.

✌️❤️✌️

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Journeytoletgo, patheticpartner, Ame and 2 others
TheAmazingCriswell

TheAmazingCriswell

I predict...
Apr 28, 2021
Life is different for everyone.
Precisely. This saying is fundamentally flawed, since there is no scale with which one could measure and then compare personal perceptions of suffering. One man's pain is another man's pleasure. While there are certain experiences that are generally agreed upon to be painful, e.g. seeing the umpteenth thread about the afterlife on SS, the individual perceptions of the suffering differ greatly.
you must be so so certain that it is your only option.
I disagree. I consider suicide to be a preventive measure rather than a last resort. To quote something I once read on this website:

"Jack London once said that 'Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.' Well, any poker player can tell you that sometimes playing well requires you to fold."

While the poker player certainly has the option of trying to make the best out of the poor hand he has been dealt, or what he considers as such, folding may be preferable.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, patheticpartner, Zzzzz and 2 others
TheHatedOne

TheHatedOne

Death is salvation
Sep 26, 2021
Indeed, it's just a way to invalidate and dismiss what you're going through, like no fam, everyone has it bad in life. It's no competition. It's just like when they say you're entitled because you're genuinely suffering. They just want you to shut up.

Reactions: Susannah, Journeytoletgo and Sadness20
Toonloon

Toonloon

Experienced
Nov 17, 2020
I try not to talk to anyone about my misery and sadness. I learned along time ago nobody cares about anyone else.
People suck.
But the one's who say "other people suffer more" and list them are total assholes. They are suffering in their own way yeah but also don't know what to say to people who are suffering emotionally.

People who are literally saying I'm going to kill myself because XYZ. They just react and say cliches.

People just suck.

• Love
Reactions: Susannah, Journeytoletgo and Sadness20
Susannah

Susannah

Mage
Jul 2, 2018
I used to hear that sentence from my mother when I was younger, all the time. And I hated it, "think about the starving children in Africa".

After my sister died, it all changed. Suddenly my mum was the most unfortune and miserable human in the world. Years later she was diagnosed with Parkinsons D, a horrible disease. According to her, we are the most unfortunate people in the world. Everything that happened was a punishment from God.

When I broke both elbows in an accident, everyone around me was happy that I had not hit my head, and that I had two healthy legs! It was absolutely insane. I just wish I had died.

Despite the fact that I hated the phrase "there are always some who feel worse", it has actually become a kind of consolation for me in adulthood. But I had to find this forum to realize that it is actually true, there are always some who feel worse (assuming it can be measured). But using the term as a consolation to others is pointless and rude.

• Aww..
Reactions: Sadness20, Toonloon, facel and 1 other person
callme

callme

I'm a loose cannon - I bang all the time.
Aug 15, 2021
Tough spot, man.. can't delete Africa off a map. Probably sounds like an average honest hotline reply, doesn't it?

Reactions: Shadowplay, Sadness20 and Susannah
Sprite_Geist

Sprite_Geist

NULL
May 27, 2020
Я согласен с тем, что на человека можно просто наложить вину.
You are speaking Russian I think? I do not understand.