W

Walilamdzi

Mar 21, 2019
Some people who care about me think that it would help me to get counselling, but I feel unconvinced by the idea for numerous reasons. I've lost a lot of opportunities due to being hospitalised 3 years in a row, each time being a very damaging and negative experience which has really altered my sense of who am I and although I ended up in hospital due to some difficulties, the problems it created are far worse than the ones I went in with and I think if the approach had been different, I would have recovered without the "need" for hospitalisation.

It's been a very painful transition into adulthood (or failure to move towards my future), where I've lost everything that I worked for, lost many relationships and ended up sort of randomly labelled into a DSM category, pestered by medical professionals, forced onto medication then nagged about my decisions not to take it in a patronising and coercive way. People keep saying to me that I'm very young, but I feel that these events at a young age have somewhat ruined the potential for a good future. My interactions with the medical profession have caused me to feel like I no longer have any autonomy. I feel traumatised by these things, and my life has been quite stagnant since my psychotic break three years ago.

Reactions: DeepMind, JustLosingMyself, Maximoo and 2 others
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
It's bullshit for me, and while it may work for some people, it's not for me. To me, it is rather a waste of time and money; they don't solve the problems or help me get any closer to solving the problems that plague me. In fact, I had better luck sitting alone in my bedroom and writing down what I want in life (both short and long term goals) and then brainstorming as well as surfing the Internet in hopes to find solutions towards those problems and goals.

Also, speaking of hospitalization (fortunately, I have never been hospitalized voluntarily or involuntarily), but based on the stories (here and around the Internet) of others who have, most of the time it doesn't help the situation, but instead exacerbates it (violation of civil rights, shitty treatment and forced drugs/medication, then billed for it, and a mark/stain on your record -- which follows you in life, not to mention all the fallout afterwards, including loss of job, loss of social life, judgment, and more). Quite frankly, there is little to nothing positive that comes out of being hospitalized against your will, only that you come out even worse (in addition to existing problems) both financially, mentally, professionally, and socially.

Last edited:
Reactions: DeepMind, Pulpit2018, msexit and 5 others
J

jules18

Mar 1, 2019
It's temporarily comforting having someone listening very closely to what you have to say. They tend to ask very good questions that make you think for a while. But all of this vanishes as soon as you're out the door. I find that group therapy in a setting like a psych ward is also very comforting while it lasted.

Reactions: TheFinalCountdown, Struggling, thisnight and 3 others
Z

Zamolxes

ONmyWAY
Mar 19, 2019
I am in therapy at the moment and have been for the last 3-4 years 3 times a month what can I say I like my therapist he's a very witty friendly guy and it's a nice experience it will also change u alot in ways you can't imagine now,, but ur problems will still be there ,, so that is the difficult bit ,,but for me it did help ...........

Reactions: Marawa
Pentobartbital

Pentobartbital

Crumbling
Feb 25, 2019
Honestly? With the way things are?

You might be better off talking to people here, writing your thoughts down in a journal or doing self-counseling.

Typically I would ask someone to try it first, but you seem to be familiar with the run-around most practises foist on unsuspecting clients. Much like psychiatry, they expect you to stick around for a lifetime and there isn't enough time or money to properly address the root causes.

Does that mean therapy is all for naught? No. Much like anything else, there are hidden gems out there, wonderful people who can and do render assistance. Yet they are decidedly few in a sea of numerous disingenuous pretenders who just want a paycheque.

Reactions: Zamolxes and Walilamdzi
F

Final Escape

I’ve been here too long
Jul 8, 2018
It's bullshit for me, and while it may work for some people, it's not for me. To me, it is rather a waste of time and money; they don't solve the problems or help me get any closer to solving the problems that plague me. In fact, I had better luck sitting alone in my bedroom and writing down what I want in life (both short and long term goals) and then brainstorming as well as surfing the Internet in hopes to find solutions towards those problems and goals.

Also, speaking of hospitalization (fortunately, I have never been hospitalized voluntarily or involuntarily), but based on the stories (here and around the Internet) of others who have, most of the time it doesn't help the situation, but instead exacerbates it (violation of civil rights, shitty treatment and forced drugs/medication, then billed for it, and a mark/stain on your record -- which follows you in life, not to mention all the fallout afterwards, including loss of job, loss of social life, judgment, and more). Quite frankly, there is little to nothing positive that comes out of being hospitalized against your will, only that you come out even worse (in addition to existing problems) both financially, mentally, professionally, and socially.
Yea, for most of us we have to try to solve our own problems all alone lol!

Last edited:
LittleDuckling

LittleDuckling

Jun 27, 2018
The thing I find dumb about therapy is that the therapists 'study' what we go though and make 'textbook decisions' to solve the issue which in my opinion makes no sense. For some issues maybe you could study the issue and solve or mitigate it via a textbook approach but a lot of issues cannot be helped by reading a book about them.

Imo talking to someone who has actually went through what you have is the best form of therapy, that is why this place makes me feel 'better' then any therapist could as you guys understand what its like to live in this pain. A therapist simply cannot make me feel this way when they have no idea what its like to actually live through being desperate to die or living through the underlying issues that brought me here.

Reactions: Walilamdzi and SNandTonic
S

SNandTonic

Mar 25, 2019
Counselling is great if you are having a major depression episode and it helps to calm you down. Counseling, if done correctly, can help deal with symptoms of borderline personality and other personality disorders. But most importantly, it depends on the credibility of the counselor and how comfortable they make you feel. A counsellor might work for one person, but not the other. Also, since psychiatry and mental health studies have only recently been studied thoroughly and with a long way to go, counsellors cannot help beyond a point of their own understanding.
The thing I find dumb about therapy is that the therapists 'study' what we go though and make 'textbook decisions' to solve the issue which in my opinion makes no sense. For some issues maybe you could study the issue and solve or mitigate it via a textbook approach but a lot of issues cannot be helped by reading a book about them.

Imo talking to someone who has actually went through what you have is the best form of therapy, that is why this place makes me feel 'better' then any therapist could as you guys understand what its like to live in this pain. A therapist simply cannot make me feel this way when they have no idea what its like to actually live through being desperate to die or living through the underlying issues that brought me here.

I absolutely hate the 'text book' psychologists. Human behavior can never be standardized in a text book. Never.

Last edited:
Reactions: Walilamdzi
TheFinalCountdown

TheFinalCountdown

Student
Mar 25, 2019
It's temporarily comforting having someone listening very closely to what you have to say. They tend to ask very good questions that make you think for a while. But all of this vanishes as soon as you're out the door. I find that group therapy in a setting like a psych ward is also very comforting while it lasted.
This. While I was getting counselling I felt a little better but there has been no long term benefit whatsoever

Reactions: Walilamdzi and jules18
W

Walilamdzi

Mar 21, 2019
@Zamolxes I feel I'll be forced too soon, haha. I don't know why it makes me nervous.

Reactions: Zamolxes
J

JustLosingMyself

Mage
Sep 4, 2018
It works, but the work is on you.
You need a set of well defined goals and milestones and then work towards them with your therapist.
It takes time.

Begemont

Begemont

Mar 18, 2019
I'd say it's useless. At least it was for me. I did 3 years of therapy and it was a waste of time and money and the only thing I got was feeling even worse than before because I feel I fell for a scam.

Don't take that for granted though. Apparently it works for some people.