Darkover

Darkover

Angelic
Jul 29, 2021
what's the point of living when there is no chance of ever winning but losing is guaranteed
everything you've ever lived for will all be taken away from you when you die and you will soon be gone for all time
nobody in the right mind would come alive to be killed off in no time at all, it's all pointless
there's no point in even coming alive here, why would anyone want to exist in place that just bring you alive to break you down decay and kill you off, life won't ever be worth coming alive for it always be better to never exist at all, everything you are and everything you have will all be taken away from you, the universe creates and destroys without ever even thinking about it, the universe doesn't care about anything, we are just bought alive in a deadly environment that doesn't care about anything it could all be over right now and the universe wouldn't even care nothing here matters at all

• Hugs
Reactions: Immensevoid, WAITING TO DIE, myusername890 and 2 others
Abyssal

Abyssal

Kill me
Nov 26, 2023
I understand this is a philosophical question, but I'll answer this with a more nihilistic, probably biased viewpoint anyways.

In this issue, you define death as losing, though I don't quite agree with that. If we equate death to a losing then you are ultimately saying death is a bad thing, when in reality death is just a thing. If nothing matters, then why do you claim that dying is something that matters as a negative consequence of living? It's a very subjective point you are making by placing your opinions as facts in such a way, which somewhat undermines your arguement of nothing mattering and the pointlessness of life.

I mean this in no harm or ill will and apologize if I come off in such a way.

• Hugs
Reactions: pthnrdnojvsc, HaHaSoLame, Darkover and 1 other person
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I think that's the problem with it though- I don't think we did get the choice on whether to come here or not. Our parents made that choice for us. So- there is no- 'Why would we choose this?' We didn't- someone else did!

So- all we're left with is: Why do people stick around? All sorts of reasons. Maybe they happen to find life worthwhile overall. Some people feel like they are 'winning' at life- whether or not you would agree with them is irrelevant- it's their experience that counts. Others stick around reluctantly out of a sense of obligation to others. There are plenty of people like that on here (including me.) Others are simply too scared of the alternative- failing a suicide attempt, a possible unpleasant afterlife as a result etc.

Really though- the whole meaning and justification for life/suffering is a personal thing. It's unlikely you will be given or be able to find a concrete answer to it. Some people find meaning in life, some don't.

It seems fair enough to me that people feel frustrated at the lack of obvious meaning and I can see why that feels especially upsetting when you throw suffering into the bargain. I guess I'm always kind of curious as to where you are going with these threads though. Are you asking why should you put up with life if there is no meaning to it? People here will likely say- no one has to put up with life. Pro-lifers will rattle on about intrinsic value, religion, the potential in life. When it comes down to it though- it has to be up to each of us to choose. Either we want to live or we don't. Either we feel obliged to live or we don't.

• Hugs
Reactions: WAITING TO DIE, myusername890, Praestat_Mori and 1 other person
Darkover

Darkover

Angelic
Jul 29, 2021
I understand this is a philosophical question, but I'll answer this with a more nihilistic, probably biased viewpoint anyways.

In this issue, you define death as losing, though I don't quite agree with that. If we equate death to a losing then you are ultimately saying death is a bad thing, when in reality death is just a thing. If nothing matters, then why do you claim that dying is something that matters as a negative consequence of living? It's a very subjective point you are making by placing your opinions as facts in such a way, which somewhat undermines your arguement of nothing mattering and the pointlessness of life.

I mean this in no harm or ill will and apologize if I come off in such a way.
because i want a life where it's winnable no death unless you wanted to die, to have a life filled with meaning and purpose to create with infinite computing power, to live without having to meet our basic needs via working earning money

life is temporary death is permanent if you have something worth living for then death is a lose-lose situation or no win situation, rendering it pointless the only way to win a no win situation is not to play the game in the first place

Reactions: Abyssal and WAITING TO DIE
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
The fact that death will inevitably erase all we knew is the only comfort for me personally. I only see an eternal and dreamless sleep as being desirable, I see it as always preferable to not exist here as after all one cannot suffer from the absence of everything. It's cruel to me how humans continue to procreate, as after all only never existing is true perfection. All that existence does is create unnecessary suffering, pain and problems there was never an need for.

Reactions: WAITING TO DIE, Darkover and myusername890