Kramer

Kramer

Nervous wreck
Oct 27, 2020
People from high school will add me, but only a few will talk to me. I don't get it, and this is the main way (social media) my generation keeps in touch. If I was mentally healthy, i'd probably still be suicidal.

The world has gone topsy turvy and it's so frustrating. It's like we're being pushed to ctb due to a shit society.

• Hugs
Reactions: disabledandhopeless, Good4Nothing, StateOfMind and 7 others
VisionsOfHell

VisionsOfHell

Experienced
Oct 31, 2020
People from high school will add me, but only a few will talk to me. I don't get it,
They probably do to it just to flex on you, how great their lives are and what they have achieved.
Social media is the most superficial and soulless way of human interaction. Good thing I figured that out when I was 15, so it didnt poison me too much.

Reactions: GoneGoneGone, Disappointered and Kramer
Kramer

Kramer

Nervous wreck
Oct 27, 2020
They probably do to it just to flex on you, how great their lives are and what they have achieved.
Social media is the most superficial and soulless way of human interaction. Good thing I figured that out when I was 15, so it didnt poison me too much.
But they don't seem to post anything. If they do, I never see it. FB isn't like it was where you saw everything your friends posted.

Reactions: StateOfMind
W’ren

W’ren

Worthless
Oct 28, 2020
Popularity contest? How many friends they can get?
People try to add me but the weirdest thing is that back in the day they were my bullies. Made my life hell. Added to my reasons for ctb.
Are they mad??? Delete.

• Hugs
Reactions: Deleted member 17331 and demuic
Kramer

Kramer

Nervous wreck
Oct 27, 2020
Popularity contest? How many friends they can get?
People try to add me but the weirdest thing is that back in the day they were my bullies. Made my life hell. Added to my reasons for ctb.
Are they mad??? Delete.
I like rejecting their requests. Then they block me lol

• Wow
Reactions: StateOfMind
Nymph

Nymph

he/him
Jul 15, 2020
Do people still use Facebook? I was never really into it but I deleted my account some time ago completely

Reactions: Good4Nothing and Lostandlooking
Kramer

Kramer

Nervous wreck
Oct 27, 2020
Do people still use Facebook? I was never really into it but I deleted my account some time ago completely
I'm a millennial and they do. Instagram is sometimes used but it's mostly for women. Guy profiles are usually pretty empty.

D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
It was fun when it started. I reconnected with old friends and posted funnies.

Now it's just a propaganda and advertising machine, fuelling young people's self-hatred. They don't even let you control your feed properly. I have a few people I still talk to every now and again on messenger, but 5 minutes on FB leaves me cold.

Reactions: Deleted member 17331, LooksAtMoonDog and VisionsOfHell
D

Deleted member 23374

deministrator
Nov 1, 2020
It's the only way mom sees some family members.
I try to catch the bullshit when it shows up on her page.
I hate facebook.

Reactions: Good4Nothing
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you 🕯️ Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020
i "had" a use for it not so much now although at the same time i do. living away from family it was good for me so i could still talk to them, however i dont now because when everything came crashing in on me a few years ago i realized friends are better then family. family doesnt change who they are and you can pick your friends so i kicked them all off.

of course i still have a use for it. the same reason but a little different. this family member isnt far away but im not "allowed" to see them so i message them sometimes.

the purpose is so people can stay connected, however people dont seem to be very good at stuff like that and everything with it goes wrong. either they arent connecting with people or they are destroying their lives, but whatever thats their life.

WitheringAway

WitheringAway

Ima shake the champagne bottle...
Jun 23, 2020
When people I know ask about my socials I tell them I don't have any. I only use my socials to be informed about the outside world events or a general knowledge (DYI pages, cooking, or random like minded people groups to discuss things with. Not on a personal level) I don't wish to communicate with people I know and keep up with their activities. If my friends want to talk they can always text/call me. Other than that, not interested.

Last edited:
Reactions: demuic
Soulless Angel

Soulless Angel

Did someone say Rum?
Jul 6, 2020
I loathe any form of social media, I was a teenager in the time when social media and in general the internet we know it now, didn't exist, then was a young adult as it started to come out, now as someone in my late 30's, I have experienced both worlds, and can see the pros and cons of social media,
I hate how shallow people are, how hateful and spiteful they are, how keyboard warriors are always ready knowing they can get away with shit,
BUT for my work it has been essential, both FB and Insta, the growth of my business whilst still small with a combined 6k followers, has been seen worldwide, hit the local news, local papers, and I am busy, all this has cost me nothing, as I used all I could that is the power of social media advertising, via people, and hashtags
Without social media it wouldn't be as easy and would potentially costs me hundreds that for me is the one bonus of facebook

the actual personal profile I barely use, don't see the point, but it's handy to use when it comes to business. but personal wise, people are shit and I hate them all...

Reactions: Homecoming and Kramer
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
I do have two twitter accounts. One professional one that I don't use anymore and a random one that I started originally just to find out what twitter was about. I've never really gotten along with the twitter format, but it's useful to see what is trending and what opinions certain people have, even if most of it is spiteful nonsense.

Reactions: WitheringAway
CoalmineCanary

CoalmineCanary

Jul 15, 2020
Please remember the point of Facebook is for it to make money.

It has nothing to do with your friends, family, contacts except how to make money off your relationship to those people.

The design encourages loneliness in people that leads to advertising being more persuasive to convince people consumption will solve their problems.

That's it.

That's all.

Reactions: ARW3N and Homecoming
B

Belaya Noch

Sep 3, 2020
The world has gone topsy turvy and it's so frustrating. It's like we're being pushed to ctb due to a shit society.
I fully share your point of view. BTW, even Jean Améry (author of essay On Suicide) wrote something like this: "It is not individual, who kills himself, but it is society, that leads him to suicide".

Soulless Angel

Soulless Angel

Did someone say Rum?
Jul 6, 2020
I do have two twitter accounts. One professional one that I don't use anymore and a random one that I started originally just to find out what twitter was about. I've never really gotten along with the twitter format, but it's useful to see what is trending and what opinions certain people have, even if most of it is spiteful nonsense.

Never understood twitter

Reactions: demuic and Deleted member 1465
G

Ghost2211

Archangel
Jan 20, 2020
I assume it is good for networking when you have a lot of friends and family, so for me it's absolutely pointless.

CoalmineCanary

CoalmineCanary

Jul 15, 2020
Never understood twitter

Twitter sells data to everyone else. That's why they get away with so little advertising. All they want is engagement.

They sell your engagement data/information to the highest bidder.

Mr2005

Mr2005

Don't shoot the messenger, give me the gun
Sep 25, 2018
People from high school will add me, but only a few will talk to me. I don't get it, and this is the main way (social media) my generation keeps in touch. If I was mentally healthy, i'd probably still be suicidal.

Whilst I feel sorry for your generation I'm also envious. If I'd been tech smart from a young age my life would be a lot better now. When I say young age I mean like 18. I'm glad my childhood was free of it. As it is it's technology more than anything else that makes me feel left behind. It goes at such a rate I can't keep up with it. If this was going to become standard it did so at the wrong time. At 34 I'm completely out of touch and playing catchup and in the world of the internet that's old age. A computer was not only the solution to my problems as a teenager it was a potential career. I see the youtubers making millions just playing games and think of what could have been. As if the only thing between me and success was a wifi signal. It's torture really. I was there at the start of facebook when I remember my mate saying he'd seen I had an account. I didn't, another friend had set one up in my name. I was angry but in hindsight he was doing me a favour. Had I then set up an account of my own I'd have taken some control of my own life. Possibly been able to stop this happening but I didn't, I wasn't interested. I've still to this day never been on facebook. I've had a mate ask another mate if I was on facebook since he hadn't seen me in years and a week later he was dead. The mate who told me has also moved away. Bored of waiting for me. I suppose this is how to stay in contact but once again I'm not interested. It's too late in the day, can't teach an old dog new tricks. I've lost everything because I didn't have an email address and I'm ready to die

Soulless Angel

Soulless Angel

Did someone say Rum?
Jul 6, 2020
So you loathe SS?
Sometimes I do because because it is one of the few reasons I'm still alive lol

I don't see SS as a form of social media, here, we can be anon, social media demand proof of identify and whom you are, (I once signed up under a fake name and was asked for proof, as in selfie, id etc, I sent back a jpeg telling them to screw themselves we aren't all like that, for my account to be approved within 24 hrs!)

Sanctioned Suicide is a forum of people who have the same mindset (ignore the trolls!) are able to hide behind a anon name and so forth

Social media as in facebook or insta is a group of people vying for attention and to be the best at

Just a slight difference in my opinion

• Love
Reactions: demuic, Deleted member 23374 and CoalmineCanary
Good4Nothing

Good4Nothing

Unlovable
May 8, 2020

I ditched Facebook 7 years ago when I found all of my friends from elementary school, and none of them were as excited to see me as I was to see them. I guess I just care about people more than normal people do? I dunno. It made me feel like no one cares about me. Which is true, but I don't need to be reminded of it every day.

• Hugs
Reactions: Deleted member 17331 and Deleted member 23374
LunarPyotr

LunarPyotr

Похорони меня возле МКАДа
Jul 4, 2020
I deleted FB like 5 years ago because I couldn't deal with the crap that happened there.
Like, the people were always so hostile, some of them acted like they would know everything etc.
The worst thing was that I was getting like 5-7 FR's a day from some fake accounts. Usually followed with a message like "hey cutie, do you want to see my ****? Visit my homepage at www.******** "

• Wow
Reactions: demuic
demuic

demuic

Life was a mistake
Sep 12, 2020
The point of Facebook and related social media is to gather information on you to use for selling your data and showing you ads.

I never had a Facebook or Twitter until I was 18 (last year). I only made Facebook because there was something that needed me to sign up with it, and Twitter to look at anime fan art. Twitter is an absolute cesspit, and probably the worst social media imo, a bunch of overly self-righteous jackasses completely convinced of their own importance. And the censorship is so biased it's laughable.

I've stuck to forums and more "anonymous" forms of interaction that don't force you to share your real life information for most of my internet life. Reddit used to be my go to, but now it's competing with Twitter for worst social media in my mind, with how extremely biased and mad with power both the mods and admins on there are, and the userbase that likes to jerk themselves off in their hiveminds. What a sad shape it's in now.

Reactions: VisionsOfHell
ARW3N

ARW3N

Melancholia
Dec 25, 2019
The worst thing about any kind of social media is misinformation and trolling. Someone can tell you on social media that one plus one equals ten and get a zillion likes.

Last edited:
Reactions: demuic and CoalmineCanary
Dizzylady80

Dizzylady80

Experienced
Nov 5, 2020
I haaaate Facebook, yet I use it all the time

Attachments

• 116344438_2699278547062369_432739913601490428_n.png
    116344438_2699278547062369_432739913601490428_n.png
    493.7 KB · Views: 2
W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
As any other social network, to pretend you're happy by giving and receiving likes and following people (and viceversa) you don't give a damn about.

Reactions: Deleted member 17331, demuic and Deleted member 23374
VisionsOfHell

VisionsOfHell

Experienced
Oct 31, 2020
Reddit used to be my go to, but now it's competing with Twitter for worst social media in my mind,
I cannot even take reddit serious at this point. People on there literally get downvoted into oblivion for having unpopular opinions and some even delete their accounts for it

Hence they dont have any real opposition left so they just create fake opposition by pretending their enemies hold certain ridiculous views and then arguing against that. So just smelling their on farts basically

• Love
Reactions: ARW3N, demuic and WornOutLife
demuic

demuic

Life was a mistake
Sep 12, 2020
I cannot even take reddit serious at this point. People on there literally get downvoted into oblivion for having unpopular opinions and some even delete their accounts for it

Hence they dont have any real opposition left so they just create fake opposition by pretending their enemies hold certain ridiculous views and then arguing against that. So just smelling their on farts basically

Yup... It's an absolute joke. Just recently had that exact thing happen to me, I could do nothing but laugh at how they decided to twist my words into their own boogyman to argue against. I still go on some subreddits, but I can't stay on there long because I'll end up frustrated.

Reactions: VisionsOfHell and WornOutLife