Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
If I may ramble a bit: I'm well aware that one of if not the most common answers to most internal problems just ends up being "seek therapy lol". I can't even resist the urge to offer this useless advice myself when asked for suggestions about someone else's challenging mental health issues. It's such a ubiquitous thing to recommend yet many of us here know it isn't the miracle solution it promises to be.

Today I was supposed to try getting a new therapist for myself to stop having panic attacks at work. The therapist I was previously seeing a few months ago dropped me after two sessions because she claimed I needed a psychiatrist. Well I spent the next couple months seeing a psychiatrist only for him to not prescribe me any medication beyond an antihistamine and for him to also drop me and claim that only talk therapy could help me. I ended up wasting today away not getting anything useful done but my managers at work strongly suggested I try again to get a different therapist after my last panic attack on Friday.

I think that process was such a pain in the ass. I already got rejected from the therapy services my primary care hospital provides. I guess because they don't believe anxiety is real or something. It's just as well. Like the title says, I just don't really even BELIEVE in therapy.

From what I can tell, it does nothing to actually solve people's problems. All it does is trick people into thinking their lives are good enough without fixing anything. It's like brainwashing and gaslighting to the extreme. What makes it even more egregious is anytime you try to point out the genuine flaws in being forced to cope with an irrational system, you just get hit with "Nuh uh, maybe YOU need to stop gaslighting yourself lol". They really can't come up with anything better than a "No You!"?

Sure therapy can be useful for some people, but so far it hasn't proved helpful at all to me. Continuing to feed everyone else's delusion isn't going to solve my own. Knowing all this, is it even worth it for me to even try? I don't think a therapist really can help me get over my crush. The only thing that can would be moving on to someone else or dying. I don't have anyone else to move on to at this point and dying is also not an option yet because I still have CTB plans to prepare for.

Reactions: vampire2002, nembutaldream, Moniker and 2 others
willow115

willow115

Oct 9, 2024
I think deep analytical therapy can impact the psyche. The provider needs to really evaluate your mind and know human nature, our ultimate needs and motivation. I prefer the jungian style. The small, mundane chat therapy style can open up some place of being heard and shared humanity but it's greatly limited. Little chats don't work, but deep psychological mind dumps and processing can. I'm pretty treatment resistant but I still have experienced that. That would analyze why your mind has focused in on the crush or why work in particular is a place closing in on you. Our driving forces and absolute fears can become fully revealed and known. That helps gain some control. In my experience, it brings a tiny bit of peace to know my psyche more at the very least. It brought me forgiveness and less shame. A lot of people try to do a massive awakening and download of this with psychedelics.

These providers also can't meet our needs to cure us. If we're touch starved, psychologically tormented by real experiences, have a negative existential perspective, etc all they really do is open up our minds to that. From there we need to be open to potential shifts of perspective. We also still have human needs that may or may not be met. We can't pay for that anywhere.

I personally would get some benzos if the therapy journey isn't for me. There's not much a good benzo won't fix. I have extreme anxiety and it can shut my nervous system down. That can have longterm problems but benzos have saved me at my worst.

Reactions: Demi-Fiend, Dr Iron Arc and nembutaldream
alienfreak

alienfreak

Sep 25, 2024
I feel similarly. Maybe we have to waste our time and energy on it just to make the psychiatrists realise it wont work on us so we can get better medication. I also wonder how it affects interactions with other people since they think you 'arent trying' or something if you dont go to therapy. I suppose these are reasons to do it even if it has no real effectiveness or worse.

Last edited:
Reactions: nembutaldream and Dr Iron Arc
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I feel similarly. Maybe we have to waste our time and energy on it just to make the psychiatrists realise it wont work on us so we can get better medication. I also wonder how it affects interactions with other people since they think you 'arent trying' or something if you dont go to therapy. I suppose these are reasons to do it even if it has no real effectiveness or worse.
Most of the people who shove therapy in my face can't even admit it actually benefits them, and they also can't admit that they only offer it as advice because they're out of ideas.

Even people who have therapy seemingly can't absorb its full benefits because the field itself is overwhelmed with the masses.

Reactions: nembutaldream
alienfreak

alienfreak

Sep 25, 2024
I personally would get some benzos if the therapy journey isn't for me. There's not much a good benzo won't fix. I have extreme anxiety and it can shut my nervous system down. That can have longterm problems but benzos have saved me at my worst.
The only reason im dealing with the medical system is to try to get a continuing prescription to take on the worst days and/or important events

Reactions: Dr Iron Arc and willow115
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I think deep analytical therapy can impact the psyche. The provider needs to really evaluate your mind and know human nature, our ultimate needs and motivation. I prefer the jungian style. The small, mundane chat therapy style can open up some place of being heard and shared humanity but it's greatly limited. Little chats don't work, but deep psychological mind dumps and processing can. I'm pretty treatment resistant but I still have experienced that. That would analyze why your mind has focused in on the crush or why work in particular is a place closing in on you. Our driving forces and absolute fears can become fully revealed and known. That helps gain some control. In my experience, it brings a tiny bit of peace to know my psyche more at the very least. It brought me forgiveness and less shame. A lot of people try to do a massive awakening and download of this with psychedelics.

These providers also can't meet our needs to cure us. If we're touch starved, psychologically tormented by real experiences, have a negative existential perspective, etc all they really do is open up our minds to that. From there we need to be open to potential shifts of perspective. We also still have human needs that may or may not be met. We can't pay for that anywhere.

I feel like being able to go deeper with a therapist is also a dead end since most roads tend to lead to suicide anyway for me and if I say that most of them are just gonna have me hospitalized.

Benzodiazepines was something the psychiatrist specifically said he didn't want to prescribe me. I can't remember the reason why but maybe it was because I mentioned I'm awful at remembering to actually take medicine most of the time until it's already too late. He did suggest SSRIs but I've seen enough horror stories on this website to know I will never let those horrible things anywhere near my body.