P

painpaingoaway

Sep 16, 2023
So, looking at my post history, I relapsed pretty bad to SH. It's been 4 or 5 months straight now. And, in all honesty, what is so bad about SH that everyone wants me to stop?

"My body, my choice" only applies to mudering babies? If I'm not harming anyone that didn't agreed with the harm, and if I'm doing this out my own volition, how is cutting myself different from getting a piercing or having a heavy spanking with a dominatrix?

People are disgusting. Turns out that SH is just taboo, and they'll lock you up on a hospital until you conform to their world view.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Dliena, Vesiira, DoomValuer and 3 others
Darkover

Darkover

Angelic
Jul 29, 2021
it's not always even the self harm itself, it's just how addicting it becomes and how much worse the problem usually gets. a lot of the time, most people start off with just some minor scratches which might not even bleed, and they think it'll stay this way forever. next thing you know, a few days, weeks, months, or even years from that moment you may end up hitting much more serious cuts which will be dangerous. and not only that, you'll always have the scars to serve as a reminder. most people who cut can say that they wish that they'd have never started, as this is a very addicting problem that is just destroying them. please, stay away from it if you can.

It's bad for your mental health which is as important as physical health. There is always a risk of infection. Also sh is rlly addictive and having addiction is so dangerous, you start to lose control over it whether you want to or not. I sometimes have doubts because sh can help me, but its not worth it as I already wrote. The relief is only temporary. Stay strong

Reactions: doormat25, foxgirl, painpaingoaway and 4 others
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
If it's your loved ones then- they probably don't want to see you hurt. I suppose it's a physical manifestation of an intensely distraught mental state too which I suppose people don't like being confronted with. Mainly because they probably don't know what to do about it.

As for why people see it as 'bad'- when it's just another coping mechanism. I'm not sure that people fully support say alcoholism, drug use, sex addiction, chain smoking either. It's just I suppose that cutting is more visceral. You can see the damage it's doing. Plus, many people are squemish- they don't like the thought of cutting themselves or witnessing/ imagining others do it.

But basically- self harm points towards big problems in someone's life. That isn't something people usually see as good. It's a symptom of something serious.

• Hugs
Reactions: foxgirl and 𝑪𝒉𝒐𝒄𝒐𝒉𝒐𝒍𝒊𝒄
willitpass

willitpass

Don’t try to offer me help, I’ve tried everything
Mar 10, 2020
Obviously it is your body and your choice to do this. But whenever I try to talk someone out of self harm it's because I know the personal hell that it becomes. As someone else said, it escalates. What starts as small cuts becomes so much more. I started with small cuts when I was 10. I'm not in my 20s and have tried to amputate limbs, overdose on OTC medicines not to die but to feel the pain, I starve myself and deprive myself of sleep and water. You name a way to cause myself pain I've done it. No one deserves to feel this way about themselves so I desperately want to discourage people from heading down that path of self destruction if they can avoid it.

Reactions: foxgirl
D

doneforlife

Arcanist
Jul 18, 2023
it's not always even the self harm itself, it's just how addicting it becomes and how much worse the problem usually gets. a lot of the time, most people start off with just some minor scratches which might not even bleed, and they think it'll stay this way forever. next thing you know, a few days, weeks, months, or even years from that moment you may end up hitting much more serious cuts which will be dangerous. and not only that, you'll always have the scars to serve as a reminder. most people who cut can say that they wish that they'd have never started, as this is a very addicting problem that is just destroying them. please, stay away from it if you can.

It's bad for your mental health which is as important as physical health. There is always a risk of infection. Also sh is rlly addictive and having addiction is so dangerous, you start to lose control over it whether you want to or not. I sometimes have doubts because sh can help me, but its not worth it as I already wrote. The relief is only temporary. Stay strong
How can self harm be addictive? Doesn't it pain ?

U

UKscotty

Doesn't read PMs
May 20, 2021
I'm sure (at least here in the UK) SH is allowed. Most consensual violence is allowed too.

Being legal and being accepted are not the same thing though. Not many people will accept SH as its so abnormal and destructive.

I used to SH a lot and even I don't like to see people do it, I will always discourage it. It just leaves such a disgusting mess on the skin it makes me feel ill to see people's SH scars.

Darkover

Darkover

Angelic
Jul 29, 2021
Hurting yourself deliberately to cope or deal with difficult emotions is a sign of Self-Harm Addiction

Reactions: doormat25 and doneforlife
willitpass

willitpass

Don’t try to offer me help, I’ve tried everything
Mar 10, 2020
Ever heard the phrase "addicted to the pain". In the case of self harm it's quite literally that. When your body experiences pain it releases dopamine in order to try and make you feel better, so when you self harm and intentionally inflict pain you actually get a dopamine boost. There is science behind self-harm addiction. Also in some cases, including mine, it stems from a feeling that you deserve the pain. There are many nuances to self-harm.

Reactions: foxgirl and Tokugawa_Yoshinobu
P

Photographer Fizzle

Nov 18, 2023
I'd guess some of it comes from a secret fear of a person's potential to harm others based on the tacit societal conclusion that people have absolute love for themselves at all and that they are always working in their best interests. I think people quietly generalize self-harm to potential antisocial behavior, though of course, some of it probably comes from genuine concern over the deteriorating well-being that leads a person to contemplate (and act upon) self-harm.

D

doneforlife

Arcanist
Jul 18, 2023
Ever heard the phrase "addicted to the pain". In the case of self harm it's quite literally that. When your body experiences pain it releases dopamine in order to try and make you feel better, so when you self harm and intentionally inflict pain you actually get a dopamine boost. There is science behind self-harm addiction. Also in some cases, including mine, it stems from a feeling that you deserve the pain. There are many nuances to self-harm.
No I have never heard of it. Shall look up. This is news for me!!

EvisceratedJester

EvisceratedJester

|| What Else Could I Be But a Jester ||
Oct 21, 2023
You get addicted to the endorphins released as a result of the pain.

OP, most people aren't for SH because, unlike getting an abortion so that you don't give birth to child you aren't able to care of, it's an addictive habit that can get out of hand easily. There are cases of people on the extreme end of SH spectrum who end up dying because of their habit. It also doesn't help that a lot of those who SH are minors.

I personally do believe that you should be able to do what you want with your body, but it's not hard for me to understand why people would be concerned over others SHing.

Reactions: willitpass and boddibo
P

painpaingoaway

Sep 16, 2023

Yeah, I agree it's addictive. But when I'm feeling terrible, it still beats alcohol or drugs.

At least by cutting I don't hurt my loved ones. If I drank, it would be an immense toll on my wife and kid.
If it's your loved ones then- they probably don't want to see you hurt. I suppose it's a physical manifestation of an intensely distraught mental state too which I suppose people don't like being confronted with. Mainly because they probably don't know what to do about it.

As for why people see it as 'bad'- when it's just another coping mechanism. I'm not sure that people fully support say alcoholism, drug use, sex addiction, chain smoking either. It's just I suppose that cutting is more visceral. You can see the damage it's doing. Plus, many people are squemish- they don't like the thought of cutting themselves or witnessing/ imagining others do it.

But basically- self harm points towards big problems in someone's life. That isn't something people usually see as good. It's a symptom of something serious.
I understand your points, and think they make sense. However, SH doesn't always translate to issues on our lives. I used to cut myself just for the adrenaline rush and the delicious sensation, even when I was mentally fine.
When you're also a masochist who enjoys and derives pleasure from pain, SH is a buy-one-get-two offer that's hard to resist
Obviously it is your body and your choice to do this. But whenever I try to talk someone out of self harm it's because I know the personal hell that it becomes. As someone else said, it escalates. What starts as small cuts becomes so much more. I started with small cuts when I was 10. I'm not in my 20s and have tried to amputate limbs, overdose on OTC medicines not to die but to feel the pain, I starve myself and deprive myself of sleep and water. You name a way to cause myself pain I've done it. No one deserves to feel this way about themselves so I desperately want to discourage people from heading down that path of self destruction if they can avoid it.
I SH for a long time too, and it indeed escalates. However, I'm too embarassed by my secret, so I learned exactly how much force to apply to hit styro without going too deep that I might need stitches.

A dozen shallow cuts + rubbing alcohol hit more the spot than a deeper cut.

OP, most people aren't for SH because, unlike getting an abortion so that you don't give birth to child you aren't able to care of, it's an addictive habit that can get out of hand easily. There are cases of people on the extreme end of SH spectrum who end up dying because of their habit. It also doesn't help that a lot of those who SH are minors.

I personally do believe that you should be able to do what you want with your body, but it's not hard for me to understand why people would be concerned over others SHing.
Precisely, it's this delicious wave of endorphins that's so good.

As for people that go too far, it's impossible not to remember AColdnessInsideMyHeart. I hope she found peace.

Last edited:
Reactions: foxgirl and Tokugawa_Yoshinobu
D

doneforlife

Arcanist
Jul 18, 2023

How is it even possible that endorphins are released during pain ? This is going over my head. Does it depend on the magnitude of pain ? Higher the pain , higher the release? In that case people would be choosing all the painful methods out there to ctb. I have been through physical pain and never felt happy about it. In fact pain is so trauma inducing that , I sometimes panic even if the real pain has not started.

EvisceratedJester

EvisceratedJester

|| What Else Could I Be But a Jester ||
Oct 21, 2023
How is it even possible that endorphins are released during pain ? This is going over my head. Does it depend on the magnitude of pain ? Higher the pain , higher the release? In that case people would be choosing all the painful methods out there to ctb. I have been through physical pain and never felt happy about it. In fact pain is so trauma inducing that , I sometimes panic even if the real pain has not started.
When you are in pain, your pituitary gland releases endorphins in order to block the nerve cells that recieve pain signals. These endorphins help to make pain more manageable and can help with stress. They are also why some people may enjoy feeling certain levels of pain during sex (e.g, spanking and biting).

When people self harm, they are essentially getting high on these endorphins. Over time, you eventually start to crave more of them and thus you start self-harming more and more and to more extreme extents to in order to get said high.

Also, you need to take into consideration the fact that this pain is self inflicted. When I cut myself on purpose, I am able to anticipate said pain and mentally prepare myself for it. If I cut myself on accident, I am not. It's kind of like picking up something that is hot. If you know it is going to be hot then you can mentally prepare yourself for and while it would hurt it doesn't feel the same as when you pick up something that is hot without knowing.

Along with that, self-harm is usually done as means of externalizng emotional pain by making it physical. Non-suicidal self injury or NSSI also has nothing to do with suicide. It's an emotional coping mechanism. There is a huge difference between harming yourself to cope with emotions and killing yourself. When I self-harm I have control over how much pain I am going to feel. Violent suicide methods don't allow for that control and usually come with severe consequences if you end up failing.

The only somewhat violent (but not really) suicide method I can think of that is an exception to this is cutting an artery, particularly around your arms or legs. It's probably one of the most common methods that newcomers come on here to talk about and it's pretty popular within a lot of self-harm spaces online. However, once people find out about how ineffective it is, most end up switching to more peaceful options, since none of the other violent ones are really going to feel similar to SHing (that being in the case of cutters, of course).

I think part of why you are having such a hard time understanding SH is because you are thinking about it from your perspective as someone who has never self-harmed before, rather than trying to put yourself into the shoes of a SHer. I'll try to use my experience from when I first started SHing to explain it.

Long story short, my mom couldn't find her keys, blamed me, threatened me if I didn't find them before she got home, I looked everywhere and could find them, I began to panic and couldn't calm down, I marched into the kitchen, got a knife, and started cutting my wrist. The endorphins helped with the stress I was feeling and the pain made it feel as though I was being punished which is what I felt as though I deserved in that moment. Thus, by SHing, I felt as though I was able to gain back some control over myself.

A lot of people SH for a variety of reasons, from self punishment, stress relief, control, to cope with feelings of numbness, etc. I understand that SHing seems weird to those who've never done it before but just like how a bird will pull out its own feathers when stressed, a person may hurt them self in order to deal with their stress and emotional challenges.

• Love
Reactions: notherenotnow, painpaingoaway and doneforlife
D

doneforlife

Arcanist
Jul 18, 2023
When you are in pain, your pituitary gland releases endorphins in order to block the nerve cells that recieve pain signals. These endorphins help to make pain more manageable and can help with stress. They are also why some people may enjoy feeling certain levels of pain during sex (e.g, spanking and biting).

When people self harm, they are essentially getting high on these endorphins. Over time, you eventually start to crave more of them and thus you start self-harming more and more and to more extreme extents to in order to get said high.

Also, you need to take into consideration the fact that this pain is self inflicted. When I cut myself on purpose, I am able to anticipate said pain and mentally prepare myself for it. If I cut myself on accident, I am not. It's kind of like picking up something that is hot. If you know it is going to be hot then you can mentally prepare yourself for and while it would hurt it doesn't feel the same as when you pick up something that is hot without knowing.

Along with that, self-harm is usually done as means of externalizng emotional pain by making it physical. Non-suicidal self injury or NSSI also has nothing to do with suicide. It's an emotional coping mechanism. There is a huge difference between harming yourself to cope with emotions and killing yourself. When I self-harm I have control over how much pain I am going to feel. Violent suicide methods don't allow for that control and usually come with severe consequences if you end up failing.

The only somewhat violent (but not really) suicide method I can think of that is an exception to this is cutting an artery, particularly around your arms or legs. It's probably one of the most common methods that newcomers come on here to talk about and it's pretty popular within a lot of self-harm spaces online. However, once people find out about how ineffective it is, most end up switching to more peaceful options, since none of the other violent ones are really going to feel similar to SHing (that being in the case of cutters, of course).

I think part of why you are having such a hard time understanding SH is because you are thinking about it from your perspective as someone who has never self-harmed before, rather than trying to put yourself into the shoes of a SHer. I'll try to use my experience from when I first started SHing to explain it.

Long story short, my mom couldn't find her keys, blamed me, threatened me if I didn't find them before she got home, I looked everywhere and could find them, I began to panic and couldn't calm down, I marched into the kitchen, got a knife, and started cutting my wrist. The endorphins helped with the stress I was feeling and the pain made it feel as though I was being punished which is what I felt as though I deserved in that moment. Thus, by SHing, I felt as though I was able to gain back some control over myself.

A lot of people SH for a variety of reasons, from self punishment, stress relief, control, to cope with feelings of numbness, etc. I understand that SHing seems weird to those who've never done it before but just like how a bird will pull out its own feathers when stressed, a person may hurt them self in order to deal with their stress and emotional challenges.
Thanks for the explanation. I didn't know this is how it works. That was informative.

Reactions: EvisceratedJester
Mäximum

Mäximum

All the effort for nothing...
Apr 5, 2023

Very well explained, couldn't have said it better. Thank you.

DoomValuer

DoomValuer

So lost...
Nov 3, 2023
To everyone saying it is, it's not an really an addiction and also not nearly as addictive (in most cases) as the comments say, and explain it to you in the following three sections.

In terms of actually being an addiction, it's just not, and there's a very nice narrative review(1) describing that it's not "behavioral addiction" like "gambling, sun-tanning, shopping, Internet use, work, exercise, or even love and sex".

Of course, like any scholarly research paper, there are variouse non-scholarly articles claiming it's wrong, like source 2, which cites only one source, source 5, they source being an article that on how redditors describe their experience, rather than an actual diagnosis, but I'll talk about that later, or source 3, which actually does claim it's a behavioral addiction, and then cites source 1 (the narrative review I just talked about) as its first source, or even source 4 which states that "it can be for some", with an explanation that's missing how it goes from a "dysfunctional coping mechanism" to an addiction" and only cites "Spindel".

Despite the fact that it's not an actual addiction, it does share its similarities, to see them, let's go back to source 5, specifically the table 1, because specifies its similarities to an addiction, tough some of them, like attempting to cut back aren't as common as you'd expect from a sample where at least 68% of posts use "addictive language" (see table 2).

Source 3 also lists a few reasons for why it's similar to an addiction, around where it states it is one, though the second and fifth of then could be explained as the reasons why people self-harm, rather than consequences of it being an addiction.

There isn't much information on how addictive it is, other than source 5, but we'll have to work with this information and in this case, so, table 1 shows in its "severity categories" section that most cases are mild, and the ones described by the replies appear to be severe, which the study shows are only about 4% of cases.

Appart from self-harm, source one also states thatch "repeated attempters" (people who have dome 5 or more attempts at suicide) show an actual addiction to "suicidal behavior", though I couldn't find much statistics on how many repeated offenders are, you cab rest easy, knowing that source 6 says that "Nine out of ten people who attempt suicide and survive will not go on to die by suicide at a later date".

If you read this entirely, thank you, this was an absolute pain to write and took me almost 3 and a half hours, but I just wanted people to know that's it's not an addiction <3

• Love
Reactions: notherenotnow and BrainShower
P

painpaingoaway

Sep 16, 2023

Thank you so much for this reply