mouseteacup

mouseteacup

mouse - it/its
Aug 1, 2023
Title. I specifically am looking for things on the "family-friendly" side (I'm cool with swearing, just the content itself I want to be lighter). I'm also not super into lifestyle or family vloggers, but that's a personal preference.

For a few recommendations of my own and a look into the kind of stuff I watch, I like nerdy and weird science stuff (Michael Reeves and NileRed, for example), videos that dive into internet history/ARGs as well as history/science that goes into things you might not know (for the latter, two channels I like are Answer in Progress and Tom Scott), Hermitcraft (especially GoodTimesWithScar; he's so sweet), other gaming channels (Gab Smolders is a nice one, and I like Markiplier, but I'm a scaredy-cat lol), and video essays in general.

Do you have any YouTubers you like who make videos about pretty chill content? Share them with me! I find I need something playing in the background quite often to occupy my thoughts.

Reactions: DestinyRot707 and lachrymost
FormerlyFe(IV)

FormerlyFe(IV)

Snapped.
Jun 27, 2023
Gaming channels I love are Josh Strife Hayes and DougDoug. Josh Strife does reviews on weird MMOs that noone talks about and it's a nice break from other conventional gaming channels. DougDoug is a streamer but his videos are well-edited and can be absolutely hilarious. YongYea is a gaming news channel and he has a monotone deep voice that is nice to sleep to, also good as background noise haha. RelaxAlax is into Nintendo stuff and BrutalMoose into old video game nostalgia. Love their new and old content.

Most of the video-essayists I like aren't so light. I think Big Joel is often light, I think he's really cute and he sounds smart. I just recently discovered oliSUNvia which can also go into some less fun topics but her philosophy feels like it's so on point all the time. Rachel Oates sometimes roasts shitty books but also sometimes dives into more political topics. Jaime French sometimes roasts shitty films but also can get political too.

Nevemind I remembered essayists I like. STRANGE ÆONS makes random video essays on internet culture mostly centered around tumblr and she's awesome. Billiam makes essays about 2000s TV shows, movies, toys and videogames that are fun light-hearted nostalgia. Drew Gooden and Swell Entertainment are more Gen Z that do reviews on weird TikTok products and events, I like their style. Amanda from Swell is super nice and down to earth and I think she would be great for background listening. Izzzyzzz also goes into web nostalgia and Sarah Zed is a more classical essayist on whatever. Love them too. Jan Misali does some pretty interesting essays on random stuff, mostly about symbology.

If you're into computers, I like LGR and Dave's Garage. LGR does reviews on 90s and earlier tech and games mostly and he's just a swell family-friendly fellow. Dave is an ex-Microsoft engineer and he talks about some really interesting trivia about how Windows works inside. He can get a bit technical but his presentation is top-notch. Asionometry is pretty dry and talks about history mostly about the silicon industry (computer chips, architecture and hardware) but is super informative and great background noise.

(And of the ones you mentioned, love Michael Reeves, and Answers in Progress, and Tom Scott is bae lol)

• Love
Reactions: mouseteacup and psp3000
P

psp3000

Enlightened
May 20, 2023
Jaime French sometimes roasts shitty films but also can get political too.
I recently found her channel again and started watching... well listening her film and Tik Tok commentary videos when I have work to do and what not glad someone else her watches her content
If you're into computers, I like LGR and Dave's Garage. LGR does reviews on 90s and earlier tech and games mostly and he's just a swell family-friendly fellow. Dave is an ex-Microsoft engineer and he talks about some really interesting trivia about how Windows works inside. He can get a bit technical but his presentation is top-notch. Asionometry is pretty dry and talks about history mostly about the silicon industry (computer chips, architecture and hardware) but is super informative and great background noise.
you should check out Techmoan and DankPods although I have yet to watch his content some recommended his channel to me over a year ago
I have really been into film analysis, summary, and review channels but they aren't very family friendly

as for "family friendly" I watch John Wolfe every once in a while I actually have to catch up on a few of his uploades he reviews and plays horror games and sometimes he does film reviews and other content now but it's rare I have been watching and have been subscribed to him since middle school is so fun to watch your favs evolve in content over time

also old cartoon review, summary, analysis, and video essay channels
I love the old cartoon community so I stick with them rather than the current cartoon community they don't like many of my favorites from the 00s and 90s

Reactions: FormerlyFe(IV)
FormerlyFe(IV)

FormerlyFe(IV)

Snapped.
Jun 27, 2023
you should check out Techmoan and DankPods although I have yet to watch his content some recommended his channel to me over a year ago

I 100% watch those two! It's so cool to see how old audio equipment worked with Techmoan. Sometimes he gets stuff from the 50s and earlier and you'd think they'd just have caveman technology back then but stuff was already surprisingly complex! And DankPods actually influenced me in one of his audiophile videos and I actually got the same custom Beyerdynamic DT770s he had, cute removable cable and all. Definitely worth the purchase too, they sound amazing 😄

also old cartoon review, summary, analysis, and video essay channels

Any recs? I've watched a few here and there. I mostly just watch Saberspark though (also another rec for OP)

• Informative
Reactions: psp3000
Gloomislost

Gloomislost

Pet the bunnies for me · 18
Jul 27, 2023
Title. I specifically am looking for things on the "family-friendly" side (I'm cool with swearing, just the content itself I want to be lighter). I'm also not super into lifestyle or family vloggers, but that's a personal preference.

For a few recommendations of my own and a look into the kind of stuff I watch, I like nerdy and weird science stuff (Michael Reeves and NileRed, for example), videos that dive into internet history/ARGs as well as history/science that goes into things you might not know (for the latter, two channels I like are Answer in Progress and Tom Scott), Hermitcraft (especially GoodTimesWithScar; he's so sweet), other gaming channels (Gab Smolders is a nice one, and I like Markiplier, but I'm a scaredy-cat lol), and video essays in general.

Do you have any YouTubers you like who make videos about pretty chill content? Share them with me! I find I need something playing in the background quite often to occupy my thoughts.
I really love watching commentary like videos !! So here's a couple lol
Plauged Moth
Wang
Shanspeare
Izzzyzzz

They're just really nice to watch and each one has a sorta different theme to them?

Reactions: psp3000 and FormerlyFe(IV)
P

psp3000

Enlightened
May 20, 2023
I 100% watch those two! It's so cool to see how old audio equipment worked with Techmoan. Sometimes he gets stuff from the 50s and earlier and you'd think they'd just have caveman technology back then but stuff was already surprisingly complex! And DankPods actually influenced me in one of his audiophile videos and I actually got the same custom Beyerdynamic DT770s he had, cute removable cable and all. Definitely worth the purchase too, they sound amazing 😄

Any recs? I've watched a few here and there. I mostly just watch Saberspark though (also another rec for OP)
Toonarific Tariq and Steve Reviews comes to mind I think I have a few more but can't remember atm I haven't watched saberspark in so long maybe I should start watching him again

carac

carac

"and if this is the end, i am glad i met you."
May 27, 2023
Something that I always like to go back to and have on in the background to listen to is the old recordings of the Ricky Gervais show on XFM with Karl Pilkington and Steven Merchant and you can listen to the old podcasts too. They are all over youtube. I wouldn't exactly say they are family friendly but the radio shows had to adhere to the UK broadcasting rules so were pretty clean but can sometimes be offensive.

Reactions: lachrymost
mouseteacup

mouseteacup

mouse - it/its
Aug 1, 2023
I won't ping, but thank you all for these recommendations <3 I find that I need distractions very often so I'm not alone with my thoughts. Been watching a lot of interesting videos on physics lately :)

• Love
theslasher

theslasher

psychonaut
Jun 12, 2023
Thought provoking vides: Low Budget Stories, Millenia Thinker, Pursuit of Wonder, Aperture, HealthyGamerGG, Dan Koe, Dry Creek Wrangler School, Denmo

Guitar stuff: fifi bisnar, HaeChan Park, ichika nito, Dylan Torence

Cool comedians: Bobby Lee, Mark Normand, Andrew Shulz, Ralph Barbosa, Trevor Wallace, Zach Justice

dang I watch way too much youtube holy shit

Reactions: mouseteacup
sp4rk

sp4rk

i am gamer >:3
Aug 9, 2023
I don't think these people are on the family friendly side but if you ever do decide to check them out here they are!
Kubzscouts, Vanossgaming and Teo. They do have quite a bit of profanity and toilet humour but when they play with friends it does give a flutter in my chest because it makes me feel like I've got friends to hang out with haha.

fwompie

fwompie

pit rat
Aug 9, 2023
Gab Smolder sounds right for you, varied very chill gameplay.

• Love
Reactions: mouseteacup
mouseteacup

mouseteacup

mouse - it/its
Aug 1, 2023
Gab Smolder sounds right for you, varied very chill gameplay.
Goodness, I love Gab Smolders! I've been watching her playthrough of Gylt recently, and I'm also very interested in seeing the next part of Stray Gods that she streams. The story has me quite intrigued.