N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I think my life would be way way worse. Most of my coping skills rely on the internet. I think I am very clearly an addict. I was asked this by many therapists and I always played it down. Yeah I see no problem in my addiction. It does not change my productivity. But I think like 90% of my time when I am awake I am using the internet. Still I can be very productive. I am very disciplined. The time on the internet decreases when I don't have so much free-time.

I absolutely had no idea what I would do without the internet. It lets me feel less lonely, I can share my emotions/sorrows, I can conncect with my friends, play video games, I love following the news etc. and a lot more. I would be extremely desperate without it and probably way more depressed and suicidal.
Sometimes in the past I had no internet conncetion. I felt horrible during that time. This probably sounds quite pathetic.

Maybe I would watch more TV. At least I did that when I was a child without the internet. But I think the quality of TV stations is way worse compared to the internet. I use the internet a lot to educate myself.
Another thing that I would probably do more: I would read more books.

Would you also be quite desperate without the internet?

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: binturong, eatantz, whatevs and 7 others
symphony

symphony

surving hour-by-hour
Mar 12, 2022
I don't know exactly what I would do, but I would for sure be way worse off. The internet is my primary source of distractions (for coping) and social connection. Moreover, it would be way harder to find info on CTB. Even if there are books on the topic you can't just stroll into a library and ask. Maybe I'd jump out of ignorance and desperation. But the scary part of that is I don't live anywhere near a height high enough and without resources on methods, I wouldn't know that. If I did indeed make an ignorant jump, I'd likely survive with severe injuries.

• Hugs
Reactions: rationaltake, Depressed Cat, onlyanimalsaregood and 2 others
DeutscheKartoffel

DeutscheKartoffel

Reclaiming my human rights & liberty thru suicide.
Dec 12, 2021
"What would you do without the internet?"

Live in China, Russia or North Korea.

• Yay!
  • Hugs
  • Wow
Reactions: Depressed Cat, demuic, ClownMe and 1 other person
onlyanimalsaregood

onlyanimalsaregood

Unlovable ๐Ÿ’” Rest in peace CommitSudoku ๐Ÿค
Mar 11, 2022
Reactions: Depressed Cat, ClownMe and DeutscheKartoffel
hungry_ghost

hungry_ghost

ุฌู‡ุงุฏ
Feb 21, 2022
Probably actually live life instead of living variously through the anecdotes of anonymous strangers and fantasies.

Reactions: Depressed Cat, Oblivion Access, ClownMe and 3 others
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I would probably still be just as suicidal and miserable. I would just distract myself in other ways. All life is, is just passing the time until we die anyway. The internet does not necessarily make me feel better apart from the fact that there is information about ctb on there, I feel the same way as the other user who posted about this. Also, failing an attempt and ending up with damage is my worst fear.

• Hugs
Reactions: Depressed Cat and demuic
demuic

demuic

Life was a mistake
Sep 12, 2020
If It did not exist at all or just if I didn't have access to it?

If it didn't exist I would probably sleep all day, read physical books, and play video games on a console and most probably would have CTB'd by now as I would have less ways to distract myself and no access to anyone who can relate to what I'm going through.

If it did still exist I would go the library in order to access it.

I would not have any life to live with or without the internet. My life already ended by the time I was 12 when I did not use the internet much.

• Hugs
Reactions: Depressed Cat
H

Hollowman

Empty
Dec 14, 2021
Stare at the wall

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: DeutscheKartoffel and Depressed Cat
Lost Magic

Lost Magic

Illuminated
May 5, 2020
That's a very good question actually. I would be completely lost. My whole world has been built around the internet since it became popular. I have been online for a long time. It is my world. It gives me access to games, forums (like this), entertainment, news, movies...everything. I love the internet.

Reactions: freedompass
freedompass

freedompass

Warlock
Jan 27, 2021
That's a very good question actually. I would be completely lost. My whole world has been built around the internet since it became popular. I have been online for a long time. It is my world. It gives me access to games, forums (like this), entertainment, news, movies...everything. I love the internet.
Me too

J

Julgran

Enlightened
Dec 15, 2021
I think my life would be way way worse. Most of my coping skills rely on the internet. I think I am very clearly an addict. I was asked this by many therapists and I always played it down. Yeah I see no problem in my addiction. It does not change my productivity. But I think like 90% of my time when I am awake I am using the internet. Still I can be very productive. I am very disciplined. The time on the internet decreases when I don't have so much free-time.

I absolutely had no idea what I would do without the internet. It lets me feel less lonely, I can share my emotions/sorrows, I can conncect with my friends, play video games, I love following the news etc. and a lot more. I would be extremely desperate without it and probably way more depressed and suicidal.
Sometimes in the past I had no internet conncetion. I felt horrible during that time. This probably sounds quite pathetic.

Maybe I would watch more TV. At least I did that when I was a child without the internet. But I think the quality of TV stations is way worse compared to the internet. I use the internet a lot to educate myself.
Another thing that I would probably do more: I would read more books.

Would you also be quite desperate without the internet?

If I may ask, which generation are you a part of?

Generally, the current generations can be defined by the following time periods (some overlap somewhat):

The Greatest Generation: born betweeen 1910 and 1924
The Silent Generation: born between 1925 and 1945
Baby Boomers: born between 1946 and 1964
Gen X: born between 1965 and 1979
Xennials: born between 1975 and 1985
Gen Y / The Millennials: born between 1980 and 1994
Gen Z: born between 1995 and 2012
Gen Alpha: born between 2013 and 2025

I'm guessing that you are older than 10 years, so you are not part of Generation Alpha.

As for myself, I'm a Millennial, which means that I adopted the use of the Internet when I was about 12 years old, but I didn't grow up with it, the way Generation Z and Alpha will, so I find being addicted to the Internet to be unhealthy, even though I was a so-called "computer nerd" when I was younger.

Do you think that your usage of the Internet subtracts from your quality of life? As for myself, I get all of my news from the Internet - be it real-world news or gaming-related news. Having said that, I find it unhealthy to have your face glued to a smart phone all day. I see people almost every day who can't even ride their bike without looking at their phones, which could turn out to be dangerous - both for the bike rider and anyone who happens to cross their path.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hikikomori1
T90-Alpha

T90-Alpha

Hopeless
Apr 21, 2022
maybe i might be able to form a relationship with somebody, if i wasn't stuck online 24/7

N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
If I may ask, which generation are you a part of?

Generally, the current generations can be defined by the following time periods (some overlap somewhat):

The Greatest Generation: born betweeen 1910 and 1924
The Silent Generation: born between 1925 and 1945
Baby Boomers: born between 1946 and 1964
Gen X: born between 1965 and 1979
Xennials: born between 1975 and 1985
Gen Y / The Millennials: born between 1980 and 1994
Gen Z: born between 1995 and 2012
Gen Alpha: born between 2013 and 2025

I'm guessing that you are older than 10 years, so you are not part of Generation Alpha.

As for myself, I'm a Millennial, which means that I adopted the use of the Internet when I was about 12 years old, but I didn't grow up with it, the way Generation Z and Alpha will, so I find being addicted to the Internet to be unhealthy, even though I was a so-called "computer nerd" when I was younger.

Do you think that your usage of the Internet subtracts from your quality of life? As for myself, I get all of my news from the Internet - be it real-world news or gaming-related news. Having said that, I find it unhealthy to have your face glued to a smart phone all day. I see people almost every day who can't even ride their bike without looking at their phones, which could turn out to be dangerous - both for the bike rider and anyone who happens to cross their path.
No the internet enhances my life quality a lot. It is one of my main coping skills. I am very disciplined the internet addiction never decreases my productivity.

Reactions: Julgran
D

DeIetedUser4739

Apr 21, 2024
Life sucks already with internet I imagine it'd be 1000x worse without it.

P

psp3000

Enlightened
May 20, 2023
be passionate about reading comic books and graphic novels and books in general like I did when I was a child

and go to the library more frequently

P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
I don't know. Internet is a big part of my life since 30+ years.

F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I can't really imagine it. I rely on it so much. For everything- work, distraction, all life's problems.

I'm old enough to remember not having the internet though. I was maybe in my 20's when I started to use it frequently. Back in the old days, we had to use libraries, buy media in physical format, ring helplines to get answers to questions, use the postal system and telephones to communicate. Before mobile phones was even harder.

Reactions: carac
qw3rty259

qw3rty259

๐•ญ๐–Ž๐–Œ ๐•ฑ๐–†๐–™ ๐•ท๐–†๐–Ÿ๐–ž ๐•ต๐–š๐–Ž๐–ˆ๐–ž ๐•ฎ๐–”๐–ˆ๐–โœจ
Jun 19, 2023
I'd definitely read fiction more. I should try it for a few days at least