Demian

Demian

Student
Mar 25, 2024
If you could end your existence or, after death, be reincarnated, but you wouldn't know anything about your next life, what would you choose and why?

Reactions: Plato'sCaveDweller and LifeQuitter
LXR515

LXR515

Jun 12, 2024
I would just end my existence, I wouldn't want to roll the dice of in my next life having an even worse life, even if I would have no memory of my last one

• Love
Reactions: ijustwishtodie, ihateearth, Plato'sCaveDweller and 2 others
Upvote 1
J

JustAnx

Oct 12, 2024
Idk anything about reincarnation. Do we suppose reincarnate as humans or just as another living ornanism?

Upvote 0
Plato'sCaveDweller

Plato'sCaveDweller

Sleep is good, death is better.
Sep 2, 2024
End my existence.

One of my philosophical reasons for CTB is I believe that life is a gamble to even start (birth), and that there's constant risk in continued existence. Choosing reincarnation without knowing anything about your next life would not only be a gamble in itself (what if you end up as a gazelle on the plains of Africa, doomed to be eaten alive by a pack of lions?), but would also be restarting the cycle of dice rolling (living). I want my CTB to be the last dice roll I have to throw. The dice roll to end all dice rolls.

Reactions: ijustwishtodie and ihateearth
Upvote 0
HereIGoAgain24

HereIGoAgain24

Sep 2, 2024
Idk anything about reincarnation. Do we suppose reincarnate as humans or just as another living ornanism?
I think it's going to depend on the religion. In Buddhism, my own (imperfect) understanding is that you can reincarnate in different forms, including on different planes (hells, animals, gods, etc.), with certain states (e.g. animals) being less positive/linked to bad karma.

For my own part... nonexistence. It's not ideal; I keep wishing there was some sort of positive afterlife I could go to. However, things for me are far, far better than they are and ever have been for 99% of humans. When you think about how for most of history, over 85% of people lived in extreme poverty, that thousands of people die every day in misery, and how bleak the future of our own world looks... I can't take my chances. I'll get out while things are good.

Upvote 0
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
Definitely end my existence. Even if I was guaranteed an easier life next time round- I'd still end it. Plenty of very unpleasant things are pretty much guaranteed in this life- any life. Plus, maybe it's my imagination, but this world in general isn't feeling a nicer place to live day by day.

Upvote 0
Csmith8827

Csmith8827

Don't you listen to your heart? (Listen to it...)
Oct 26, 2019
This is Exactly what the short story called "Afterlife" is about by Stephen King. It's in his "Bazaar of Bad Dreams" book. In that story the main character can either choose to try to relive his life and fix the mistakes he made or just leave existence permanently.

It's strange but like as dark as it sounds I'd probably just end my existence. Life seems kinda like this rigged up game and to be honest it is sorta a bad dream. All I see around me is just evil and confusion and all I can do is witness all my hopes and dreams be crushed, ruined, and destroyed. The cruelty of that is more than I want to bear.

I don't want to live a life without privacy, without my rights as a human being, without the ability to live under a fair and honest government, without the ability to relocate where I want geographically.

Yeah so like I think I'd choose non-existence. As dark as that sounds...at least you'd be at a state of peace.

Upvote 0
ijustwishtodie

ijustwishtodie

death will be my ultimate bliss
Oct 29, 2023
I see both as being equivalent since, no matter which option I choose, I can be considered to be dead from the perspective of my current life and that's all I honestly want. I want to be dead from the perspective of my current life since I can't really consider my next life to be me if the memories and experiences aren't transferred during reincarnation. Just to answer your question though, I'd choose to never exist again as then there would at least be one less sentient being suffering in existence in the future

Upvote 0
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I'd rather just not exist anymore. I'm not much of a gambler and it's highly likely that the next life I spawn into would probably be worse somehow in a lot of ways. Who knows, I may have already picked the wrong choice and my current miserable situation is a result of me thinking I could reincarnate for the better.

Upvote 0