Nexey

Nexey

Student
Feb 18, 2021
Just to clarify, I'm a 'Murrican with easy access to firearms and drug cocktails. This isn't me asking for personal advice. I'm mostly just wondering bc I've come across a number of people in these circumstances and I never had any clue on how they'd go about doing such a thing with minimal risk and pain. I'm starting to think it's impossible.

Suffocation via gas exposure seems to be a go-to for a lot of these individuals but it's risky as Hell. If you opt out halfway through (which you likely will, because no amount of depression can override survival instincts and adrenaline) then you're left with potential brain damage and being in a worse off position. Hanging more or less carries similar issues.

You could do suicide via train or truck but I'm honestly convinced that you'd need to be in a deep state of psychosis in order to willingly kill yourself in such a public and gruesome way. It's not like it'd be painless for you, either. Spend enough time on the most harrowing parts of the Internet, and you'll know that there are people out there who survive being cut straight in half for a couple of minutes, and end up still having the capacity to struggle and recognize what's happening.

I feel so fucking bad for people who have to face this reality on a daily basis.

Y

yeahwellso

Student
Dec 5, 2020
Sounds like you're conflating "communist" with authoritarian and poor.

Reactions: Fthis, minn, notreallynow and 6 others
Mara09

Mara09

Tired
Feb 6, 2021
You could do suicide via train or truck but I'm honestly convinced that you'd need to be in a deep state of psychosis in order to willingly kill yourself in such a public and gruesome way. It's not like it'd be painless for you, either. Spend enough time on the most harrowing parts of the Internet, and you'll know that there are people out there who survive being cut straight in half for a couple of minutes, and end up still having the capacity to struggle and recognize what's happening.

Well, afaik if you want to ctb by train you're actually supposed to put your neck on the tracks so your head gets severed, no way you're gonna live after that. Though it's true I've seen it happen quite freqeuntly that people get cut in half, guess it's a common mistake.

As for the initial question, I think hanging is quite probable, despite the risks it carries it's still a very popular method.

Reactions: Fthis
Y

yeahwellso

Student
Dec 5, 2020
Though it's true I've seen it happen quite freqeuntly that people get cut in half, guess it's a common mistake.
It's a physically violent and public way to suicide. Plenty of the people who get cut in half placed their body in such a way that they would.

Train suicides probably tend to be among the more unplanned and impulsive suicides, and there's probably a high incidence of psychotic levels of agitation.

Reactions: Nexey
LakatosDiogenesz

LakatosDiogenesz

I can tie a noose with my eyes closed
Nov 21, 2020
Cheap methods work the same. Hanging and jumping are the most common I assume. A lot of train-related deaths too.

Depressing fun fact: a lot of factories in China have suicide nets placed on the walls to prevent workers from jumping off the rooftop.

Reactions: deleted and Mara09
Throwmyselfaway

Throwmyselfaway

Not gone yet but soon
Jan 14, 2020
Cheap methods work the same. Hanging and jumping are the most common I assume. A lot of train-related deaths too.

Depressing fun fact: a lot of factories in China have suicide nets placed on the walls to prevent workers from jumping off the rooftop.
Didn't japan do that too with the nets?

Reactions: Fthis
Nexey

Nexey

Student
Feb 18, 2021
Sounds like you're conflating "communist" with authoritarian and poor.
Authoritarian? Yes. Poor? No... it's just a fact that in a lot of these countries, getting access to drugs and firearms is a 100x harder. My initial post has nothing to do with poverty.

I'm honestly surprised that this is the first post in the thread, considering that there's a heavy correlation between Authoritarianism and Communism, anyways.
Didn't japan do that too with the nets?
You might be thinking of the fact that there are a lot of suicide nets under bridges these days. The Golden Gate Bridge already has one partially up.

Reactions: Fthis, Fragile, Amumu and 1 other person
Y

yeahwellso

Student
Dec 5, 2020
Authoritarian? Yes. Poor? No... it's just a fact that in a lot of these countries, getting access to drugs and firearms is a 100x harder. My initial post has nothing to do with poverty.

I'm honestly surprised that this is the first post in the thread, considering that there's a heavy correlation between Authoritarianism and Communism, anyways.

The original post just sounds like a bit of a random non-sequitur. People suicide with what they have available. The incidence of people blowing their brains out in the US is just a trivial consequence of the enormous amount of guns in the country. And "drugs" is a non-starter anyway – they kill Soundcloud rappers and addicts in rust belt towns by accidental overdose. When someone uses them for an intentional suicide attempt, the death rate is stunningly low.

It's not like people are out of options in the rest of the world. The US is very average compared to the world suicide rate – plenty of countries have higher per capita suicide rates. Nobody anywhere is being stopped because they don't have the material resources to do it.

Nexey

Nexey

Student
Feb 18, 2021
The original post just sounds like a bit of a random non-sequitur. People suicide with what they have available. The incidence of people blowing their brains out in the US is just a trivial consequence of the enormous amount of guns in the country. And "drugs" is a non-starter anyway – they kill Soundcloud rappers and addicts in rust belt towns by accidental overdose. When someone uses them for an intentional suicide attempt, the death rate is stunningly low.

It's not like people are out of options in the rest of the world. The US is very average compared to the world suicide rate – plenty of countries have higher per capita suicide rates. Nobody anywhere is being stopped because they don't have the material resources to do it.
Drugs are tricky, yes. I think the reason why they aren't usually effective is due to the fact that people do minimal to no research before attempting, usually. When I read stories from others about their attempts, it's often something along the lines of "I took a bunch of sleeping OR pain medication and woke up the next day without even any organ damage," instead of "I took an elaborate cocktail of illicit drugs that are known to be deadly and am still alive somehow." Not saying that people who fall into the latter camp don't exist but I come across them far less often. (Obv this is anecdotal and not hard evidence of anything.)

You're saying that nobody is being stopped due to a lack of material resources. And I suppose that is *technically* true. But I know I'm not alone in saying that if I couldn't guarantee my death was relatively painless and quick, that I'd be a lot more scared to actually attempt suicide.

Gonjoolie

Gonjoolie

Student
Feb 5, 2021
Communists love their guns, so I don't see why that would be an issue. Since there's no money in a Communist society, you'd probably just do work for someone in exchange for a gun.

Y

yeahwellso

Student
Dec 5, 2020
Drugs are tricky, yes. I think the reason why they aren't usually effective is due to the fact that people do minimal to no research before attempting, usually. When I read stories from others about their attempts, it's often something along the lines of "I took a bunch of sleeping OR pain medication and woke up the next day without even any organ damage," instead of "I took an elaborate cocktail of illicit drugs that are known to be deadly and am still alive somehow." Not saying that people who fall into the latter camp don't exist but I come across them far less often. (Obv this is anecdotal and not hard evidence of anything.)

You're saying that nobody is being stopped due to a lack of material resources. And I suppose that is *technically* true. But I know I'm not alone in saying that if I couldn't guarantee my death was relatively painless and quick, that I'd be a lot more scared to actually attempt suicide.
The reason why people usually do minimal to no research before attempting, is because they aren't really attempting as such. Intentional overdoses tend to be suicidal gestures rather than outright suicide attempts. It's precisely the reason, for example, why women have more suicide "attempts" than men, yet a much lower suicide rate. It *might* cause death, but it's not certain. And that's exactly the appeal of it. It's a very drastic action, but it doesn't have the obvious finality of a hanging, jumping or shooting.

It's basically a cliché at this point – teenagers asking if a handful of gummy vitamins and a couple of prozac pills will be enough to reliably kill them.

When you put a loaded gun to your head, or a noose around your neck, you know that what you are about to do *will* certainly kill you. If you have any presence of mind, that is. When someone botches a firearm suicide, it is because they are impaired – either intoxicated, psychotic or desperately frightened (and thus uncommitted). With hanging, maybe the prospect of being conscious long enough to suffer severe pain and/or regret is a big deterrent, but I think that the clear finality of it is also a big thing. Because, in sheer practical terms, hanging is available to any able-bodied person on the planet, and it is certain to cause death if actually "done right".

In any case, the numbers speak for themselves – the number relatively quick and painless methods available in various parts of the world does not correlate with the actual per capita number of suicides. Firearms dominate in the US due to the unique accessibility of guns there, but hanging and pesticides dominate globally – including countries with higher suicide rates than the US.

What it comes down to, is the level of despair and the lack of hope. In the US, for example, I expect to see (well, *would* expect to see, since I might very well choose to not live all that much longer) a significant increase in suicide rates as the "American Dream" continues to erode and appear patently infeasible.

Reactions: Lupgevif and Nexey
GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
Last time I checked you can't opt out of a full suspension mid-hang.

LifeQuitter2018

LifeQuitter2018

Wanderer
Aug 12, 2018
I'm from Vietnam so I can offer you some perspective on this problem.

- People in the poor, mountainous Northern part of the country, there's a lot of jungle, one of the preferred method is "lá ngón", scientific name : Gelsemium elegans, which is a highly toxic plant. They says just eating 3 of those leafs is enough to kill a person.

- People in the city use sleeping pills, full suspension hanging, jumping from high building or drowning.

- People in the rural part of country drink bleach, grass killer chemical, rat control chemical.

- Hardly any people use or aware of advanced method we're disscussing on this forum or in the PPeH, such as N, F, SN, inert gas, ...

Reactions: Fthis, Mara09, minn and 2 others
S

Symbiote

Global Mod
Oct 12, 2020
CO poisoning using charcoal briquets.

Lupgevif

Lupgevif

Jul 23, 2020
Did you know suicide by gun can also cause most of the problems you mentioned?