paroxysm

paroxysm

I Felt Nothing
Sep 17, 2023
hi im going to a mental hospital tomorrow what should i do before i go there? also i can't bring an electronics so anything i should bring so i don't get bored?

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: -Link- and EndofSmallSanctuary
EndofSmallSanctuary

EndofSmallSanctuary

deadboy
Aug 30, 2023
bringing a few books helped me a lot

Reactions: paroxysm
thepiecessatup

thepiecessatup

Jan 9, 2024
Take some books with you and if you're allowed jigsaw puzzles I'd recommended them too. I've found puzzling really helpful with managing my mental health symptoms and they really help pass the time. Some people love colouring in books. Good luck.

Temporal_Anchorite

Temporal_Anchorite

wanting outta this bitch
Sep 23, 2022
Not sure. I was hospitalized in multiple psych wards 5 different times as a teenager (4 times in an acute hospital, once in residential), but never once was I afforded the luxury of preparing for it ahead of time lol

At least in my experience, you're not really allowed to bring any sort of personal items, belongings, or trinkets. Everything will be confiscated from you upon intake and stuffed into a bag/cubby (aside from your clothes) that you'll then later collect upon your discharge from the hospital. At my stays, the hospital staff on the unit supplied us all with various items to help keep busy & pass the time: journals, books, puzzles, playing cards, sudoku pages, crossword puzzles, fidget toys, etc.

And don't take this the wrong way or anything, but asking what you should pack like you're taking a luxury trip to Cancun or planning for a weekend getaway just feels idk...a bit weird? Mental hospital stays are intended to stabilize you if you're in the midst of a mental health crisis. And if you're in an immediate crisis, well you're not exactly going to be in a mindset where pondering how you'll kill idle in the hospital time becomes a priority. I don't know your exact situation, but have you maybe considered intensive outpatient therapy or partial hospitalization. Checking yourself into inpatient care isn't something to be taken lightly and those beds ought to be reserved for those who truly need it. Good luck nonetheless.

Reactions: JoysoftheEmptiness and paroxysm
-Link-

-Link-

Deep Breaths
Aug 25, 2018
bringing a few books helped me a lot
Yeah, I found boredom to be the most challenging part of inpatient, and for me, books were the best counter to it.

@paroxysm wishing you the best of luck with your hospital stay.

Reactions: JoysoftheEmptiness and paroxysm
JoysoftheEmptiness

JoysoftheEmptiness

Sep 10, 2024
hi im going to a mental hospital tomorrow what should i do before i go there? also i can't bring an electronics so anything i should bring so i don't get bored?
They'll take anything off you than you can harm yourself with. So phone charging cables, etc. Spent a month in a psych hospital, never again. Be good and you get day leave, that's worth its weight in gold as a psych patient.
Not sure. I was hospitalized in multiple psych wards 5 different times as a teenager (4 times in an acute hospital, once in residential), but never once was I afforded the luxury of preparing for it ahead of time lol

At least in my experience, you're not really allowed to bring any sort of personal items, belongings, or trinkets. Everything will be confiscated from you upon intake and stuffed into a bag/cubby (aside from your clothes) that you'll then later collect upon your discharge from the hospital. At my stays, the hospital staff on the unit supplied us all with various items to help keep busy & pass the time: journals, books, puzzles, playing cards, sudoku pages, crossword puzzles, fidget toys, etc.

And don't take this the wrong way or anything, but asking what you should pack like you're taking a luxury trip to Cancun or planning for a weekend getaway just feels idk...a bit weird? Mental hospital stays are intended to stabilize you if you're in the midst of a mental health crisis. And if you're in an immediate crisis, well you're not exactly going to be in a mindset where pondering how you'll kill idle in the hospital time becomes a priority. I don't know your exact situation, but have you maybe considered intensive outpatient therapy or partial hospitalization. Checking yourself into inpatient care isn't something to be taken lightly and those beds ought to be reserved for those who truly need it. Good luck nonetheless.
Those beds in psych units are like gold dust for really ill people. Sadly, I won the lottery once, and won a bed in one.

Blurry_Buildings

Blurry_Buildings

Just Existing
Sep 27, 2023
Clothes that don't have strings on them.

When I went 9 years ago they examined all of the clothes I had brought and confiscated a pair a of sweatpants that had a string on the waist and my coat. They explained it was so I couldn't hang myself in the room. I don't think they allowed long sleeve shirts either, for the same reason. They took everything else and stored it in a bag that I collected when I was let out a week later.

Last edited: