Judah

Judah

Enlightened
Oct 1, 2020
The title thing, did you believe in things that you later discovered were a lie? Like the myth that man only uses 10% of his brain, or that Colon was the one who discovered America, when in reality, that doesn't make sense, or the myth that Paraguay exists?

Reactions: TooConscious
Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020
Santa Claus. was really sad as a child when I found out that there was no Santa. Not saying this as a joke or make fun of your thread. Was the first thing that came to my mind.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: JinZhin, TheYounger, TooConscious and 1 other person
Judah

Judah

Enlightened
Oct 1, 2020
Santa Claus. was really sad as a child when I found out that there was no Santa. Not saying this as a joke or make fun of your thread. Was the first thing that came to my mind.
Exactly the same thing happened to me, only that where I come from is not Santa Claus, but, the child Jesus (not kidding)

Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020
Exactly the same thing happened to me, only that where I come from is not Santa Claus, but, the child Jesus (not kidding)
I know the country but won't say it, it's on the 6th right?

GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
Santa Claus. was really sad as a child when I found out that there was no Santa.
Not this again...

76t0vgsv2r561.jpg

• Yay!
Reactions: Élégie, daddy Phil :), miserableforever and 11 others
Snake of Eden

Snake of Eden

“Ye shall be as gods..🍎 🐍”
Jun 22, 2021
1-That you could be anybody you want and you could do anything you like and have it all.
2- The laws of attractions.
3- Soul mates and twin souls
4- Most people are good people
5- Hard work is the way to succeed
6- Money and possessions are the keys to happiness
7- Physical beauty is totally a preference and there is no such a thing as universal beauty hierarchy
8- Life always get better
9- Friendships last for life
10- Religion is enough and has all the answers
11- Happiness could be realised in this life
12- Everyone is perfectly designed to start a family

• Hugs
Reactions: S like suicide, dreadpirateroberts69, cyanol and 18 others
LastFlowers

LastFlowers

the haru that can read
Apr 27, 2019
Not this again...

76t0vgsv2r561.jpg
I thought Shapiro was Jewish.

The man sure is full of contradictions though, so I still find this amusing.
I can see all the YouTube videos now:
"Ben Shapiro DESTROYS Santa deniers!"
Jesus he and his fanbase are annoying.

Reactions: Élégie, TooConscious, WrongPlaceWrongTime and 2 others
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I have been suicidal since I was very young and before I did any research, I used to think that suicide was very easy. I used to think that taking lots of any pills would be an effective way to ctb, but now I know how difficult it really is.

• Hugs
Reactions: Altvtysp, Élégie, S like suicide and 15 others
T

Therealnobody

Jan 8, 2022
I thought women and old people are dumb. Mainly because women in my family played dumb in front of men. The same for old people. As an adult I got to know they only played it in order to manipulate others. IRL I am so dumb I am not able to have masks and play mind games this is the reason I believed these lies for so long as I never behaved this way and I trusted others that their behavior is their true themselves.

Last edited:
Reactions: TooConscious and Snake of Eden
Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020
I got another more realistic, being engaged and discover everything was a lie.

Reactions: WrongPlaceWrongTime and OrcWitch
lostundead

lostundead

Student
Mar 18, 2021
Joe Biden's presidency.

Obama's birth certificate.

Dinosaurs.

The moonlanding.

North korea.

Round earth.

Space.

Gravity.

The myth that the global elite aren't controlled by interdimensional, chromosome harvesting demons.

Testosterone-boosting supplements (I think I got scammed).

Last edited:
  • Yay!
Reactions: Élégie, Angi, WonderingSoul and 6 others
Wrennie

Wrennie

-
Dec 18, 2019
That doctors actually knew what they were doing.

That "God" would only let kind people have children.

That sex was only for reproductive purposes.

That everyone was "equal".

That adults were always right & I was in the wrong for questioning their behavior.

That psychiatric meds were safe.

That anyone who did drugs was a criminal.

Human "rights".

That as long as I helped others I'd be helped in return.

That friendships would last forever.

That humanity would never outright abandon someone in need.

That so long as I remained devoted to achieving my dreams, they were a given.

That because we were living in the modern era, all of the systems functioned properly & we already had pretty much everything figured out.

I was a very, very naive child.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: akana, Élégie, S like suicide and 20 others
O

OrcWitch

Warlock
Sep 3, 2021
Drug education as a kid seemed to be full of lies. I'm not over here shouting 420 blaze it, but they made weed out to be like crack cocaine.

Also abstinence only sex education basically told us we would get pregnant, catch HIV or our genitalia would turn into a green blob monster if we ever had sex.

I believed meat consumption was the main source of obesity in the united states, because saturated fat was the most calorie dense and because vegans&vegetarians are thinner on average. Now I believe it's high refined sugar consumption, normalization of processed snacks being eaten all the time, combined with suburban city planning causing everyone to have to drive to get anywhere.

That police protect people from the bad guy. There are many places in the country where they can take 45 minutes to show up, even if you've reported someone being assaulted in progress. In these cities they show up to a crime after it has happened, they logistically do not have the ability to rescue someone in the process of being robbed or harmed. A police officer can show up to a crime I have reported and end up arresting someone who did it, but if my house is being broken into or I am being followed at night they won't be able to help me in time.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: JinZhin, justsayin, Therealnobody and 7 others
T

TooConscious

Enlightened
Sep 16, 2020
Gee ten percent is just ridiculous.... Man doesn't use its brain at all.

• Yay!
Reactions: Élégie, demuic and LastFlowers
Chinaski

Chinaski

Arthur Scargill appreciator
Sep 1, 2018
That healthcare professionals were fundamentally decent people who were good at what they did.

• Love
Reactions: Altvtysp, Élégie, Mixo and 15 others
NumbItAll

NumbItAll

expendable
May 20, 2018
  • religion
  • that life is inherently good
  • american exceptionalism

Reactions: WrongPlaceWrongTime, 𖣴 nadia 𖣴, justsayin and 4 others
LastFlowers

LastFlowers

the haru that can read
Apr 27, 2019
Many things that were told to me as uncompromising truths, I always had my doubts of, but it didn't matter even when I grew out of "playing along" and had evidence that these "truths" were far from honest, because an already vulnerable and disenfranchised messenger of truth will always have it handed straight back to them in the form of a violent slap across the face.

People are still VERY willing to lie to me, and others, I have learned that many people appreciate a lie more than authenticity, especially when the former disguises itself as the latter.
This bothers me.
Being honest in a dishonest world is like feeding the beast that will one day grow large enough to eat you.
It can easily be used against you if "honesty being the best policy" is not a view shared by the one you're being honest to.

That said, people who know the unfortunate truths about certain matters of the world and simply decide to shout them at others while falling into line, refusing to fight against the status quo, just using honesty as an excuse to be an asshole and uphold harmful behaviors..well those types of people can go fuck themselves.

• Love
Reactions: Élégie, WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, OrcWitch and 6 others
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
Just about everyone I knew told me the Covid vaccine wasn't going to hurt even though I knew that vaccines always hurt whenever I take them. I had people tell me "no this one doesn't hurt at all it's not like other ones". Well when I got both jabs they ended up hurting quite a bit. I even cried a little the first time because I'm that much of a big stupid bitch baby. I don't care about any of the politics around vaccines but I just wish people hadn't lied to me about them not hurting. I think if people had just been more honest about it I would have taken them much sooner.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: ImsooDone1N, WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, OrcWitch and 2 others
_Seeking

_Seeking

I'm only here for this moment
Dec 16, 2021
I used to believe that by recycling, I would be doing my part to help save the planet. Only, it doesn't really matter as corporations and the 1% are fucking up our planet far beyond what the rest of the people try to do to offset it.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Élégie, Mixo, JinZhin and 11 others
GrumpyFrog

GrumpyFrog

Exhausted
Aug 23, 2020
That when you're in school you need to work hard instead of fooling around and partying and to get grades good enough for a good college to success in your career in the future.
As far as I can tell now, best way to succeed was having rich parents that can help you get a good job, and the second best was actually spending your formative years fooling around and partying with people who have rich parents so they will be your friends and eveentually help you get a good job. Oh, and good high school grades are worthless if your mental health is too screwed to handle college at all, and college degree can absolutely end up being completely worthless too.

• Love
Reactions: Élégie, Nevsky69, JinZhin and 12 others
Silenos

Silenos

Ṿ̸̄Ọ̶͂Ỉ̶͉D̴̞͝ ̴̲̐A̷̾͜W̷̪͒Ā̵̯I̵͍̅T̵̛͔S̷̗͛
Jul 25, 2020
I legitimately believed I had an average sized dick until my 20s.

As it turned out, it's actually a monster.

• Yay!
  • Wow
  • Informative
Reactions: 4am, Altvtysp, milly and 13 others
X

xyzblahh

Dec 22, 2021
As a kid, I thought that adults know what they're doing. Nope...

Reactions: Élégie, ImsooDone1N, WhatDoesTheFoxSay? and 9 others
LastLoveLetter

LastLoveLetter

Persephone
Mar 28, 2021
Despite being suicidal from an early age, I used to believe that life could get better someday. That it had to get better. It was like a little whisper, drowned out by a cacophony of voices that told me otherwise. I held onto that belief for years, and just kept thinking: "It has to get better. It has to."

I did all I could to improve my situation as one obstacle after another and another was placed in my path. The negative life experiences continued to pile up, threatening to topple me over at any moment, while the fleeting positive moments were like gold dust I futilely tried to clasp in my hands when life decided to throw me a bone.

Still, I nonetheless thought that life eventually has to get better. Not because I believed I was owed anything, but because I thought that surely it can't be this miserable and painful forever. Surely not.

Eventually, I stopped believing. I don't remember the precise moment it happened. It could have been after yet another breakdown in which I lost the few things that made me feel like I had purpose, it could have been after a doctor or nurse or therapist dismissed my symptoms for the thousandth time, it could have been after I found myself unable to care for myself at all anymore, trapped in this house and this bed in perpetual physical and psychological pain.

Eventually, I stopped believing, and that little whisper telling me "it has to get better" stopped.

I realise in retrospect, it was not so much a true conviction, but rather a desperate plea - a wish that was not granted and never will be.

• Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: Élégie, neverend, JinZhin and 19 others
LastFlowers

LastFlowers

the haru that can read
Apr 27, 2019
Despite being suicidal from an early age, I used to believe that life could get better someday. That it had to get better. It was like a little whisper, drowned out by a cacophony of voices that told me otherwise. I held onto that belief for years, and just kept thinking: "It has to get better. It has to."

I did all I could to improve my situation as one obstacle after another and another was placed in my path. The negative life experiences continued to pile up, threatening to topple me over at any moment, while the fleeting positive moments were like gold dust I futilely tried to clasp in my hands when life decided to throw me a bone.

Still, I nonetheless thought that life eventually has to get better. Not because I believed I was owed anything, but because I thought that surely it can't be this miserable and painful forever. Surely not.

Eventually, I stopped believing. I don't remember the precise moment it happened. It could have been after yet another breakdown in which I lost the few things that made me feel like I had purpose, it could have been after a doctor or nurse or therapist dismissed my symptoms for the thousandth time, it could have been after I found myself unable to care for myself at all anymore, trapped in this house and this bed in perpetual physical and psychological pain.

Eventually, I stopped believing, and that little whisper telling me "it has to get better" stopped.

I realise in retrospect, it was not so much a true conviction, but rather a desperate plea - a wish that was not granted and never will be.
The hopeful belief that "it has to get better"reminds me of my own past belief of "it can't possibly get worse".. Time and time again, I was wrong.

Sorry you have had to suffer to such an extent, sounds like a similar domino effect from hell-as my own, as far as one thing leading to another, compiling and compounding with not even the first trauma/issue ever being resolved.
It becomes more and more difficult to believe that anything will ever change enough to want to keep going.
As a kid, I thought that adults know what they're doing. Nope...
Adults are just grown up children.

• Hugs
Reactions: Élégie, cyanol, ImsooDone1N and 4 others
T

TooConscious

Enlightened
Sep 16, 2020
Things like dinosaurs and the moon landing for one to make determined answers is to be believing other people's stories. We don't know.
But interdimensional forces harvesting our pain and suffering is unfortunately too obvious to deny for those of us that think.
The presidency been a scam since Kennedy, and even then, he may have been part of wider mind control for us peons, but just listening to his speeches on the conspiracy 'theory' no one can match it even today.
Good luck to you.

WhatDoesTheFoxSay?

WhatDoesTheFoxSay?

Hold your head high, and your middle finger higher
Dec 25, 2020
1. That your 'loved ones' love you. Unconditionally.

2. Reiterating the points raised by @Wrennie and @Chinaski above, that medical professionals know what they're doing, have all the answers, and can heal every disease and sickness. That they are humanitarian, compassionate and act in your best interests.

3. I was told that, if I were to leave my religion, the powers that be would engineer the course of events in my life so that at some point I'll come crawling back. Tomorrow or many years down the line, at the end of the day I will return to the faith.

4. Being raised Buddhist, that we are extremely fortunate to be born into human life. The Buddhist parable of the blind turtle illustrates this. Suppose there is a blind turtle dwelling at the bottom of the ocean that surfaces just once every hundred years, and a yoke floats on the vast ocean. The chances of being born human after countless non-human incarnations is even more improbable than it takes for said turtle to surface at the right time and in the right place for it to put its head through the yoke. Knowing this, you should use your lifetime wisely, and dedicate yourself to the cultivation of virtue. To me, not only did sayings like the above feel like a guilt trip, but they also made me feel both helpless and hopeless about circumstances beyond my control. Only recently did it come to me that they can, and have been, used by those in power as yet another form spiritual gaslighting.

5. That what goes around comes around, and you will reap what you sow. Misfortune is seen as the ripened fruit of sinful karma, in which you suffer to pay off your karmic debt.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Pluto, pthnrdnojvsc, demuic and 10 others
motel rooms

motel rooms

Survivor of incest. Gay. Please don't PM me.
Apr 13, 2021
I don't think I've ever experienced serious disillusionment, I always expect the worst. Maybe my partner will teach me a nasty lesson.

• Hugs
Reactions: JinZhin, Nostalgic, ImsooDone1N and 4 others
Ringo

Ringo

Rabbits on the Moon
Dec 3, 2020
I used to belive the rest of the animals had the same life span as us, humans, I discovered the truth the hard way

• Yay!
Reactions: Snake of Eden