Stepheng7287

Stepheng7287

Faster We Run, And We Die Young
Aug 29, 2020
So I bought a Max Dog Brewing regulator a few days ago and on their website it recommends using it with a 20 cubic feet nitrogen cylinder. I went online to see what I could find and the smallest cylinder I could find was just labelled "2 litres". Nothing about cubic feet or cubic metres or anything. The next size up however (10 litres) is labelled 1.89 cubic metres (or 66.7 cubic feet) under "Volume".

My question is, how do I figure out what the volume is for the 2 litre cylinder? I'd like to not have to carry around a 10 litre cylinder in my car but I'm not sure if the 2 litre is too small or not.

Thanks

Reactions: Predestinated and Meditation guide
W

WearyOfStruggling

Male, 54
May 23, 2020
So I bought a Max Dog Brewing regulator a few days ago and on their website it recommends using it with a 20 cubic feet nitrogen cylinder. I went online to see what I could find and the smallest cylinder I could find was just labelled "2 litres". Nothing about cubic feet or cubic metres or anything. The next size up however (10 litres) is labelled 1.89 cubic metres (or 66.7 cubic feet) under "Volume".

My question is, how do I figure out what the volume is for the 2 litre cylinder? I'd like to not have to carry around a 10 litre cylinder in my car but I'm not sure if the 2 litre is too small or not.

Thanks
The 2L and 10L sizes are the physical volume, sometimes called water volume because it is the amount of water that it would hold. The larger sizes, 1.89 cubic meters, etc., refer to the uncompressed volume of gas the cylinder would hold at maximum pressure. For instance, one 20 cubic foot cylinder type in the US has a water volume of 3.5 L.

Here is how to calculate the uncompressed gas volume using the water volume and cylinder pressure.

Frees answer isn't exactly correct in my opinion, so I will give you my answer.

There is an easy way to calculate the uncompressed volume of gas that is stored in a given volume at a given pressure called Boyle's Law. I suggest reading about it online, but the basic equation is P1*V1 = P2*V2. So if you solve for V2, V2 = P1*V1/P2. Make sure units are consistent. If pressures are in bar, atmospheric pressure, P2, is 1.013 bar, so V2 it is very close to P1*V1 as @frees said. But for any other units, that won't be the case.

Then when you have the total volume of uncompressed gas, divide by the flow rate, such as 15 lpm, to get how long the gas will last.

Reactions: Predestinated, Mare Imbrium, Stepheng7287 and 1 other person
kirkroberts

kirkroberts

In Pain Every Day.
Feb 10, 2021
Hi. I new to the forum and have to ask. Do you need the regulator. Can I just turn the cylinder on and just breathe in and end off.

F

Final_frontier

Student
Feb 23, 2019
Hi. I new to the forum and have to ask. Do you need the regulator. Can I just turn the cylinder on and just breathe in and end off.
The compressed gas will just explode into your face without a regulator

Reactions: Predestinated
Greenberg

Greenberg

nitrogenexit.blogspot.com
Jun 28, 2020
You certainly require a flow regulator; otherwise, the force coming out of the cylinder valve would injuriously overwhelm your breathing.

Reactions: Predestinated and Mare Imbrium
kirkroberts

kirkroberts

In Pain Every Day.
Feb 10, 2021
All I would like to do is turn the valve on in say an airing cupboard and just sit there. Would this be doable.

Greenberg

Greenberg

Jun 28, 2020
As an analogy, think of the open cylinder as an unseated fire hydrant with the water jetting every which way. The water coming out of a hydrant is around 50psi. For nitrogen, it would be around 3000psi -- 60X that of the hydrant. I think the outcome is clear.

Reactions: Mare Imbrium
Mare Imbrium

Mare Imbrium

Killing yourself to live.
Dec 10, 2020
You cannot use a cylinder with compressed gas without a regulator. Sorry !

kirkroberts

kirkroberts

In Pain Every Day.
Feb 10, 2021
Can somebody say what regulator I would need for this tank. And if they sell on Amazon or Ebay. Thanks.

Attachments

• Nitrogen-Oxygen-free.jpg
    Nitrogen-Oxygen-free.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
wannagohome

wannagohome

Jan 6, 2021
You are in the UK i guess (Swansea). Is there a stamp on the valve? Saying something like BS341 No.3 ? Then you must look for a regulator with that standard designed for use with nitrogen. The regulator also has to be designed for the pressure of the tank (200 bar or 300 bar or maybe 2000 psi or 3000psi. Also think about getting one with a Nitrogen Flowmeter. You can find lots of them all over the internet (also A. and E.)
But most of all you need a plan first. I recommend to read this thread https://sanctioned-suicide.net/threads/inert-gas-cylinder-regulator-general-refresher-summary.30657/

kirkroberts

kirkroberts

In Pain Every Day.
Feb 10, 2021
HI.
Thanks for the info.
I think now all I need is a regulator to enable me to safely turn on the nitrogen cylinder. I don't need to connect a mask as I want to just sit in the airing cupboard with the cylinder open and end of. Is this possible with how I want it. Thanks.

Greenberg

Greenberg

Jun 28, 2020
Can somebody say what regulator I would need for this tank. And if they sell on Amazon or Ebay. Thanks.
Please provide a detailed and magnified photo of the cylinder outlet. Your photo is too low-res for me to provide a definitive answer. Thank you.

Greenberg

Greenberg

Jun 28, 2020
HI.
Thanks for the info.
I think now all I need is a regulator to enable me to safely turn on the nitrogen cylinder. I don't need to connect a mask as I want to just sit in the airing cupboard with the cylinder open and end of. Is this possible with how I want it. Thanks.
Please be mindful that your cupboard is initially filled with air, and that you would need to displace all that air and expired CO2 prior to experiencing anoxia. Your success will be entirely dependent on how fast you can evacuate the cupboard of said gases. Any significant CO2 remaining will result in suffocation.

kirkroberts

kirkroberts

In Pain Every Day.
Feb 10, 2021
Please be mindful that your cupboard is initially filled with air, and that you would need to displace all that air and expired CO2 prior to experiencing anoxia. Your success will be entirely dependent on how fast you can evacuate the cupboard of said gases. Any significant CO2 remaining will result in suffocation.
Thanks for the info.
Would me fitting a pipe to breath prior to me entering be ok. I would use the pipe to breath for a day then. Open the connection on the Nitrogen and then cover my breathing tube. Sorry to be a pain asking.

Reactions: Greenberg
Greenberg

Greenberg

Jun 28, 2020
In addition to breathing through a pipe, there must be an exit hole for the initial volume of air and CO2 which you would need to close off after ventilation. Honestly, your setup is too cumbersome to be effective. There are 3 potential outcomes here with the last being the most unlikely: suffocation, severe brain damage, or anoxia. Please be careful!

Reactions: kirkroberts and Mare Imbrium
kirkroberts

kirkroberts

In Pain Every Day.
Feb 10, 2021
Since reading your comment and looking at the prices for all of the equipment I think I will look at a more realistic method for me, I am looking at the coal method in a tent. Very interesting reading.
Mmm,
Just looked at the Nitrogen tank again and it does indeed say / Nitrogen BS341 No. 3 connection

Is this OK.
And found a regulator in the USA.
Which says its / Nitrogen BS341 No. 3 connection

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: Mare Imbrium and Greenberg
kirkroberts

kirkroberts

In Pain Every Day.
Feb 10, 2021
Silly question it may be.
But how do you set the flow rate to 15 Lpm on the Nitrogen Regulator. Thanks.

Greenberg

Greenberg

Jun 28, 2020
There is a number dial at the bottom of the regulator. Simply set it to 15LPM.

Yes, for the UK, the connector standard is BS341 No.3.

kirkroberts

kirkroberts

In Pain Every Day.
Feb 10, 2021
Hi.

Proves I don't really look at things properly.lol. I can see the dial now. Thanks.

Greenberg

Greenberg

Jun 28, 2020
Np. The photo is very small. Cheers!

Reactions: Mare Imbrium and kirkroberts
Mare Imbrium

Mare Imbrium

Killing yourself to live.
Dec 10, 2020
Has @kirkroberts already left us ? I send him best wishes.

• Love
Reactions: Greenberg
Greenberg

Greenberg

Jun 28, 2020
Wow, if true that is really sudden. I thought he was still in the setup stage. I wish him well!