AnonymousRobin

AnonymousRobin

little bird fly away
Oct 7, 2022
i watch a lot of movies and through my many watches i have found movies that make me feel better about wanting to ctb. my two favorite movies eith main ctb themes are A silent voice an anime that is based around bullying and suicide but is also very happy and cute. and a long way down a movie about a group of people who meet when trying to ctb and their story as it goes by, it is also happy but dramatic and sad too :)

Reactions: FredTheCripple, IDK:/, artificial_ineptness and 2 others
ineverlived

ineverlived

May 31, 2022
oslo 31 august
le feu follet

• Love
Reactions: AnonymousRobin
Dysgenic Pup

Dysgenic Pup

A canine that’s not so heavenly.
Sep 18, 2021
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest features a suicide in it. I watched it in 2020 as suggested by an old friend @braketimez.

• Love
Reactions: Nightbird and AnonymousRobin
myfinalform

myfinalform

Oct 12, 2022
BIrdman or the unexpected virtue of ignorance, my favorite movie

• Love
Reactions: Nightbird and AnonymousRobin
Un-

Un-

I'm a failure. An absolute waste. A LOSEr.
Apr 6, 2021
An Elephant Sitting Still.
I love the movie.. I've watched it three times. One of the scenes is my profile banner. I love how there's no happy ending. There's no love story. In fact, no one smiles throughout the entire film. It reminds me of this place.

It doesn't romanticise, or make a comedy out of suicide, or depression or nihilism.

Shortly after filming the film, the director hung himself. There's two suicides in the film, too.

• Love
Reactions: Exact Change, artificial_ineptness and AnonymousRobin
Celerity

Celerity

shape without form, shade without colour
Jan 24, 2021
My favorites are The Hours and Gattaca. They are solid films that can stand on their own, but I also find their treatment of the motivations behind suicide nuanced and relatable. People to this day search for a single cause for suicide, and it is my view that they search in vain.

For The Hours, suicide is an escape, a liberation from a terrible life with no (obvious) choices left to make it better. The suicide in Gattaca can be seen as similar, but I would argue that it is more strongly tinted by self-loathing rather than a desire to free oneself from misery.

I have personally experienced both forms of suicidal ideation with self-loathing being my oldest motivation. Though I still struggle with bouts of low self-esteem, I have come to realize that my deficiencies are not so dire and had been exaggerated in my mind due to my upbringing in a dysfunctional household. Once I came to terms with this, suicide turned into a potential kindness to myself, not a punishment.

In both movies, the characters who struggle with similar problems but don't commit suicide find a way to live life on their terms despite the odds. They don't allow society or their personal circumstances to constrain them.

Without getting too spoiler-y, I relate strongly to the character in Gattaca who commits suicide at the close of the film. Before, when I first considered suicide, ambition was a way I tried to fill the hole inside where self-respect should have been. If only I could achieve ABC or become XYZ person, I would finally be good enough and deserve to live. What I found is that this was an illusion. No achievement or victory or praise would ever be enough to make me love myself. The character in Gattaca never had this insight. Though I love the story that was told and view that character arc as necessary to be a foil to the protagonist of the movie, I sometimes wonder what a happier ending would have looked like where our suicide victim was able to change.

• Love
Reactions: jandek and AnonymousRobin
S

SeeminglyFine

Mixing pills with potions under the smoke alas
Jan 2, 2022
The anime: aoi bungaku- no longer human, and welcome to nhk

• Love
Reactions: waRmblanket and AnonymousRobin
AnonymousRobin

AnonymousRobin

little bird fly away
Oct 7, 2022
i am going to watch all of these movies when i am avaliable :)

• Love
Reactions: GrumpyFrog
S

SamTam33

Warlock
Oct 9, 2022
I've only seen it once many, many years ago, but Leaving Las Vegas has stuck with me. There's a scene where Nikolas Cage's character tells Elisabeth Shue's character that they can hang out together as long as she doesn't ask him not to kill himself/stop drinking. I loved that condition.

S

seewell

Oct 16, 2022
The Royal Tenenbaums. Somehow, the suicide scene includes one of the most hilarious jokes in the middle of multiple tragedies and doesn't ruin the moment. Also, Needle in the Hay is a fantastic song and very appropriate.

Yuri Yurovich

Yuri Yurovich

just another sad guest on this dark earth
Jun 19, 2022
This is turning into a pretty good playlist of movies!
Thanks to AnonymousRobin for starting it!

Lawliet

Lawliet

b a n g
Sep 15, 2020
tarsem's "the fall". it's about a hollywood stuntman who tries to con a little girl into getting him pills by telling her an extravagant fantasy story while their both laid up in a hospital. it's beautiful.