What makes you most afraid about your death? (choose up to your "top 3")

• I'm afraid to die because my death would cause grief to my relatives and friends.

Votes: 40 49.4%
  • I'm afraid to die because all of my ambition, my plans, my projects would come to an end.

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • I'm afraid to die because I'm afraid the process of death might be painful.

Votes: 43 53.1%
  • I'm afraid to die because I would no longer be able to have any experiences.

Votes: 15 18.5%
  • If I died, I would no longer be able to care for my dependents.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I'm afraid to die because I'm afraid of what might happen to me if there is life after death.

Votes: 25 30.9%
  • I'm afraid to die because of what might happen to my body after I die.

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • Other (please list in a comment)

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • EDIT Addition: I'm afraid of a ctb failure, due to the many, bad consequences

Votes: 35 43.2%

• Total voters
profoundexperience

profoundexperience

You can feel the punishment but you cant commit ts
Jun 29, 2020
This video, posted by @MaybeSoon... gives a great framework to think through one's possible fears of death.

The list for the poll comes from the video...

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: lobster salad, it's_all_a_game, Ame and 3 others
yive

yive

life is evil
Nov 6, 2020
this:
I'm afraid to die because I'm afraid of what might happen to me if there is life after death.
I'm afraid to die because of what might happen to my body after I die.
and, i'm afraid of failing, because consequences [such as 24/7 monitoring, forcing to life and psychiatry] are HORRIBLE! i don't want to live in a world where people have no right to die

• Love
Reactions: lobster salad and profoundexperience
Yoffi

Yoffi

I can't dance, I want to dance
Aug 8, 2019
Other - I'm not afraid of death, the pain I might feel during the process will be temporary, I don't care what happens to anything/anyone after I'm gone and I do believe in an unspecified afterlife.
the only thing related to death that I worry about is my friend that I'm going to commit suicide with, I'm worried that in this unspecified afterlife I might never see her again.

• Hugs
  • Love
  • Aww..
Reactions: dearlybeloved998, lobster salad, sadghost and 2 others
profoundexperience

profoundexperience

Jun 29, 2020
i'm afraid of failing, because consequences ... are HORRIBLE!
This list was created without ctb in mind... I added your fear to the poll, @yive!

• Love
Reactions: yive
W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
Option #1, definitely.
I'm really afraid of my dad having a heart-attack or stroke once he finds out I'm dead.

• Aww..
  • Love
Reactions: voyager, WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, it's_all_a_game and 4 others
M

MaybeSoon

Experienced
Oct 11, 2019
Agreed but I think she covers that in option 3. I will make sure in not agressive but certain terms that if the choice is there to keep me alive for their own feelings or switch off the machine. Then the latter is preffered.. I think I might be lucky because anyone that knows me already knows that. Which unfortunately isn't the case for a lot of suicidal vegetables I've read (sorry if that's offensive).
Option #1, definitely.
I'm really afraid of my dad having a heart-attack or stroke once he finds out I'm dead.
Option 1 is my first fear aswell. Especially having a daughter, I'm worried she will somehow think she genetically destined for the same fate. Which is of course bullshit. She will never, ever, have to go through what I have, I'm not depressed because my brain is broke but rather experiences have determined that fate. I see people killing themselves these days over the most mundane shit. Breakups etc.. "mental health" is somehow equated with "mental illness" I just know if she has 5% of my strength without my experiences she will be okay. Not going to sit here and write my life story but most people would kill themselves if they lived my life.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, Ame, WornOutLife and 1 other person
motel rooms

motel rooms

Survivor of incest. Gay. Please don't PM me.
Apr 13, 2021
First of all, "dying" is not the same thing as "being dead". Dying people are still alive. What scares me about dying? The fact that it might be painful, duh. What scares me about being dead? Nothing. If you ask me, it's quite stupid to be afraid of perfect liberation

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: voyager, lobster salad, WhatDoesTheFoxSay? and 6 others
O

oned1saster

Apr 14, 2018
I used to have several reasons but now my only concern is the possibility of me failing. I'm preparing everything so this will be the least "annoying" as possible for my family and co-workers. If I fail, I don't think I'll be able to live with the shame and all the lecturing, fake worries, scolding and etc.
This video is really cool btw! I love her channel

• Love
Reactions: FuneralCry, WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, profoundexperience and 1 other person
M

MaybeSoon

Experienced
Oct 11, 2019
I used to have several reasons but now my only concern is the possibility of me failing. I'm preparing everything so this will be the least "annoying" as possible for my family and co-workers. If I fail, I don't think I'll be able to live with the shame and all the lecturing, fake worries, scolding and etc.
This video is really cool btw! I love her channel
She is a legend lol. I love how she promotes natural burials (unfortunately these are becoming more expensive now, suprise suprise) but she always hammers home that death is normal and it's nothing to be afraid of.

• Love
Reactions: Élégie, WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, oned1saster and 1 other person
Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Always was, is, and always shall be.
Jun 22, 2020
I'm afraid the next lifetime will be worse.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: Élégie, ithappens, FuneralCry and 4 others
profoundexperience

profoundexperience

Jun 29, 2020
What scares me about being dead? Nothing. If you ask me, it's quite stupid to be afraid of perfect liberation
I want to think I believe the same... ALL the credible evidence says that's the truth.

Yet, until "the rubber meets the road" (until one is fully tested)... there's the concern, "What if I'm wrong...?"

This clip presents my dilemma very eloquently:

How do you have so much confidence & can you please give me more of it?

Last edited:
Reactions: ithappens, pthnrdnojvsc and it's_all_a_game
S like suicide

S like suicide

Enlightened
Apr 29, 2021
I am terrified of 3 things: That my attempt fails and I survive. from the pain I might feel before death and if after death there should be some "surprise"

Reactions: profoundexperience, FuneralCry, Conflict3d and 1 other person
motel rooms

motel rooms

Survivor of incest. Gay. Please don't PM me.
Apr 13, 2021
How do you have so much confidence & can you please give me more of it?
Tbh, I'm just a lowly agent of Satan trying to destroy as many people as I can by lying to them that they won't end up in my boss's oven if they ctb :devil:

If I must burn in hell for all eternity or be reborn as a starving stray dog because I can no longer live with the pain caused by my own father fucking me for 10 years & my lover killing himself, then so be it. Maybe I'm a fool, but I choose not to be afraid of death. I'm 40 years old, nobody can accuse me of not having fought hard & long enough

Last edited:
  • Aww..
  • Love
  • Yay!
Reactions: Asingletwig, profoundexperience, ithappens and 2 others
sadghost

sadghost

S
May 17, 2020
I don't fear death, dying, or being dead. I don't want anything here - money, sex, drugs, food, experiences, friends & family, etc. I just want to not exist.

When I CTB, I essentially am publicly admitting that. It tugs at my heartstrings to think about how shocked everyone in my life will be when they find out..

• Hugs
Reactions: profoundexperience, ithappens, FuneralCry and 2 others
Superdeterminist

Superdeterminist

Enlightened
Apr 5, 2020
90% of the fear is fear of pain. Occasionally I also fear a next life that is even worse than this one was, but then I usually escape that worry by reasoning that this one is already bad enough to warrant leaving, and that I'm headed that way anyway, no matter what.

• Hugs
Reactions: sadghost, profoundexperience and FuneralCry
M

MaybeSoon

Experienced
Oct 11, 2019
I know it's only a small sample size but it's really interesting to see the results of the poll and how similarly we all think.

The causing grief to friends and family is my main one.. would have absolutely no hesitation if it wasn't for that and don't really care about the rest. I did also vote for no more experiences and the life after death one because they do resonate to a small degree.

Reactions: profoundexperience
JustAMatterOfTime

JustAMatterOfTime

Fragile
Mar 21, 2021
Definitely definitely guilt, which is silly because I am a very selfish person so why should I care about how I make people feel when I am not even there to experience the guilt. I say "people" really it is person, as only my mum would miss me I am quite sure of that. Today I was mean to her and she got mad at me, I like that, that is what I will have to do, make her hate me but it seems impossible. She has always told me suicide is selfish and is very much against it, maybe she says these things as little hints due to my previous attempts and behaviour. It seems to be working so far.

All the other options seem quite trivial to me obviously not the dependents one though but that is not an issue. I feel quite strongly opposed to that and consider it a solid reason not to ctb if you have people who rely on you, perhaps that is mean and unsympathetic but I would've been furious if I was left as a child like that.

• Hugs
Reactions: profoundexperience, FuneralCry, voyager and 2 others
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
Mainly just that the process can be painful and that I could end up failing and being forced to continue living somehow.

• Hugs
Reactions: profoundexperience, ithappens, FuneralCry and 2 others
Stroopwafel.

Stroopwafel.

Meow
Jan 14, 2020
The thought of leaving my mom behind breaks my heart into many pieces, I'm not sure she will survive without me.
Also the after life sometimes scares me. I do not believe there is an after life, but what if there is? I really don't want it to be there.
I'm not afraid about the pain or anything. I've dealt with so much pain in my life, I'm sure I can handle the pain of dying.

• Hugs
Reactions: profoundexperience, FuneralCry, voyager and 2 others
PaxAmerica

PaxAmerica

Just Passing
Apr 15, 2021
The taxman coming after me for death tax!!

L

LansJ70

Student
May 3, 2021
Failing

• Hugs
Reactions: profoundexperience, FuneralCry and voyager
voyager

voyager

Don't you dare go hollow...
Nov 25, 2019
Failure, undoubtedly. Especially the consequences. Possibly being incapacitated and stuck on this planet for several decades more when I'm done now, or locked in a ward with people who don't know me but assume to know better anyway. Who should mind their business but care because of personal accountability, for which I never asked anyone. Just no.

And while it doesn't scare me personally, I do feel sorry for what said action would have on my mum. She did the best she could and I wish it had paid off, but it's not like anyone, suicidal or not, chooses their fate.

• Love
Reactions: profoundexperience, ithappens and FuneralCry
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
For me it is just surviving the method and being left with worse consequences. Death is what I want, eternal nothingness, no more being conscious, the end of existence. I have no fears about being dead, I embrace the thought of it. I know those left behind will be upset but that is none of my concern as I won't be alive to see it. It is what peope have to expect when they choose to bring humans into this world. I have no place in this life, it simply isn't for me.

• Hugs
Reactions: 4am, profoundexperience, voyager and 1 other person